User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
rystjohn OP
Road Dreamer

Oddometer: 38
Trip Advice

Ok - this should be straightforward, but I know it's not going to be. And I wouldn't be asking the ADVrider community if it wasn't.

Here's the deal.

I work. All. The. Damn. Time. I own a small design business where I work 30hrs a week. I also pull 40hrs a week at the job that actually pays my bills. I'm 25. I'm too young for this shit. I went to college to avoid this. But alas...this is real life. Deal with it.

I deal with it like this: I need a vacation. I'm taking one.

Last year I took a 2 month road trip around the US in my car. It was amazing. Life changing. Too much to talk about here. Too much detail that I don't want to skimp on.

I now have from 20 Oct until 30 Oct for another, albeit small, vacation. I've already got the destination - Rhode Island. One of my best friends lives there and we're going to drive up to New Hampshire (near the White Mountains) and stay in a cabin with nothing to bother us.

The biggest question I have is this: plane or bike? I know I'm asking a biased crowd, but I'm also asking a more experienced crowd.

I've been riding since March of this year. I took everyones advice, started small (XT250) and eventually wanted a larger bike in a couple months (VStrom 650). I know basic maintenance and have taken care of all my previous 4-wheeled vehicles ('84 VW Vanagon, '00 F-150, '09 Nissan Frontier, etc) and feel confident with the motorcycle. It was bought from a former inmate with 23K on it, I checked the valves myself (in spec), amongst regular maintenance. I added luggage, tire repair kits, tool kits, lighting, etc to this baby. I have a Corbin seat. I plan on taking it West to Tucson, AZ in March where I'll live for a few months. I feel confident on the road. I've taken it on several 600 mile round trips and did fine (except for a sore butt - which is why I have the Corbin now).

But what worries me is - am I ready for this trip? Is this too much too soon? Do I have enough time. Am I going to feel rushed for a 1,600 mile round trip? I'll have to travel for at least 2 days each way, and I don't know if I want to sacrifice that time with my future wife. It'll cost me about $100 less if I take my bike (I think) than if I take a plane.

I don't really know what I'm asking here. Give me some reassurance. Or tell me to get a ticket and enjoy my time with my friend and not worry about riding all the damn time. I'm all ears.
rystjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,387
Take the plane. Riding just to get someplace in a hurry isn't what it's all about.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Click on Cheaptickets!!

Too much riding for a new rider and very bad time of year to head north on a m/c. Possible snow and ice would not be good.

Devote time to developing lasting relationships.. Leave the long trips for later on when you have many miles under your belt and money in the bank..

Most important --BE PATIENT-
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
RicT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
If the sole objective is to spend time with your lady-friend OR you are doubting your ability to handle it, then fly. In fact, I would almost suggest it because you are new to riding.

I like riding and a 1,600 mile round-trip is no big deal, especially if you are splitting each way into 400 mile days. You could probably map out some nice 2-lane and camp on the way up and back. I'm 23 and wouldn't hesitate to hop on my DL650 and take that ride. Last year I rode a 1250 mile round trip to spend 2 days in Charleston with my girlfriend and one of her friends. A 600+ mile day isn't bad, especially at our age (and I was running the stock seat).

*edit*-Forgot about the possibility of snow like mentioned above. Something to think about.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
rystjohn OP
Road Dreamer

Oddometer: 38
Bluhduh Plane it is

As much as I want to ride the bike, I think y'all have made a good point in taking a plane. The main point of taking my motorcycle is that I'm in control, have more freedom, and it's just damn fun! I ride EVERY SINGLE DAY since I bought a bike. Rain or shine. Cold or hot. I just can't bear the thought of sitting in a plane and missing out on a fun adventure.

The thought of spending two 400+ mile days doesn't frighten me, and I feel confident in my ability to do so. But doing that much with a time schedule does put me off. I just don't think it's going to be quite as fun. And I'm definitely not going to take interstate - I'd get bored as hell! But that would mean a few less days to spend with the lady.

I hadn't thought too much of snow. I guess we don't get a ton down here that time of year, so I didn't expect there would be so much up there either. That'd be a total bummer to hit ice or snow and be SOL.

Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts. Keep 'em coming and any advice is welcome!

I haven't bought the tickets yet, so there's a chance to sway my decision!
rystjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
mike25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
If you were going a month eariler, I would say take the bike.
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
reg71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I pretty much agree with everyone else. Take the jet.

However, if you ever are in a situation where you do need to take the bike a long way in a short time, you might as well look into getting your ironbutt certification.

I have to get a bike from KS to CA this weekend so I'm going to go ahead and give it a go.
reg71 is offline   Reply With Quote