Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #61
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel

Oddometer: 73
We went through the notorious WRC tech inspection today and passed with ZERO issues to correct! That's almost unheard of among pro teams, and never happens with the smaller private teams like ours. Shakedown is tomorrow immediately after noon. Then the first stage we run starts at 6pm. It's an amazing stage that runs UNDER the historic city of Guanajuato in the old mines carved below the city. It's like something out of an old Speed Racer cartoon.

We've done a lot of work prepping the car for this including fixing a lot of minor issues that cropped up at past events. Some of the locals are telling us that more than 50,000 people will be at some of the spectator areas.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #62
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Great stuff Jason, thanks for posting the update of your experiences. Good luck when the action starts.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #63
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,989
Great stuff indeed.
These guys are down there too. Let's see how they do.
Stage one is sounding unreal.

http://instagr.am/p/H5NSYTo6Qe/
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #64
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,759
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #65
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,518
Very cool. I was able to talk with Brianne prior to her winning run at last year's Pikes Peak IHC.

Here's hoping her success continues.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #66
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel

http://www.tv4guanajuato.com/enlinea/

You should be able to watch Rally Guanajuato Mexico 2012 Special Stages on March 8 at 8PM at this link. The first stage will be the underground stage.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #67
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel

The ceremonial start was last night. HUGE celebration with 50k spectators. Live TV coverage and every driver-team was interviewed before the start. Only one special stage (timed stage) yesterday, but Brianne pulled into a class lead by a few seconds. Compared to the FIA class cars she would have been 22 out of 27 with our low powered, homebuilt car. We pull the car out of Parc Ferme (impound) in a few minutes and will have a 30 minute service period to fix an alignment issue, change tires and inspect the car for other issues.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #68
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel

At the end of SS6 we've dropped into second by 20 seconds or so. Brianne reports heavy bottoming out on the left-rear, possibly a collapsed spring. We've got some redneck fixes if that's the issue, but we're scrambling to find another 10"+ 150-300 lb/in spring.

Sorry, not many photos as I've lost my camera AND had my cell phone software go bananas.

In transit between stages.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #69
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel

Yesterday was tough. Brianne ran the Super Special Stage just 0.07 seconds slower than the leader, but a jump later broke one of our rear struts in half. We're currently in second place and 39 seconds behind first. I'll let her facebook post tell the story. Here's the pic.

Quote:
We lost 30 seconds on stage one to an evo X. It started with a climb up a mountain that went on forever. Our little non turbo car was struggling pretty hard but once we were on top and running the narrow ridges we started to close the gap setting top times for our class until we broke a strut in half on the super special. I was able to ratchet strap the hub so we could try to limp back to the poli...forum 10 k away. We drove at 5 mph for almost a mile when I spotted a man waving and yelling from the balcony of a 3 story "house" made out of buses. I flaged down the car full of spectators behind us and found someone that spoke spanish to ask him if he could weld up our strut. Short story is that he welded up our strut with a stick welder right there on the side of the road a we were able to make it back to the Poliforum where we borrowed a welder from Bill Caswell and worked on the car till 3 AM. We will incur a stiff time penalty for arriving late but we are still in the race!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #70
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel

Well, we're out. The suspension kept getting worse during the long Saturday stage when Brianne missed an instruction and drove down the middle of a road that had severe erosion on the inside of the corner. She hit the hole (in the middle of the road) at the top of fourth gear and launched the car into a hard roll that destroyed the rear bodywork and tore up the suspension extremities. The roll cage and driveline is intact. Brianne and Jeremy are in perfect shape. We are all pretty upbeat. The car can be repaired, although we might take what we learned from this one and build a better one. Despite the retirement, Brianne has attracted a lot of attention from the right people. My internet connection is spotty, so I'll have photos and videos, including the crash video when I get home.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #71
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel

Racing through the underground tunnels:

Driver and Codriver out of the car after the roll:

Aftermath of the roll:
Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #72
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel

And, here's the in-car complete with witty comments immediately before and after the roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yAl2IqOuQg
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #73
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,989
ah thanks for sharing that folks
better luck next time
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #74
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
And, here's the in-car complete with witty comments immediately before and after the roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yAl2IqOuQg

, WTH what caused the roll over boobie traps

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #75
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel

The notes called for an "over crest, right 4, stay mid" but should have said "caution, stay left". At the bottom of the crest the road had washed out about halfway across. With the suspension fully loaded the front right wheel went into the hole in the road. Since there wasn't any suspension left (it was loaded at the base of the crest) the car bounced and did an endo and a pirouette. It first landed on the passenger C-pillar and trunk then finally came to rest on it's wheels.

Despite the carnage, everyone was in great shape and in good spirits. Brianne's driving attracted attention from the right people.

Turns out the shell of the car is beyond rebuilding, but most of the components will go into a lightweight coupe for now that will be used for rallycross, and will likely end up in another rally car in the future.