ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #61
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post


Those were my thoughts too. Then I wondered if I was being over-cautious. Glad I posted before impatience got the better of me.
i'm pretty sure the engineer would pull out the same size hammer as the one you were gonna use & hit it good.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #62
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,717
Couple of thoughts on the clearance problem. You can get different profile bottom spring collars. You can probably get one that will sit the spring lower, might just clear. You would need to make sure it wont clash with anything else as the shock goes through its stroke. Also you can often get a shorter Ohlins spring that is the same rate.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #63
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,717
Just went out to have a look at my shock. Have you got the shock in the right way round, my WP shock has a wider spacer on one side than the other and the wide spacer is to the outside, sitting the shock inboard a bit. Heaps of clearance, and I have an Ohlins spring.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #64
igormortis OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
igormortis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Moving further away from Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Just went out to have a look at my shock. Have you got the shock in the right way round, my WP shock has a wider spacer on one side than the other and the wide spacer is to the outside, sitting the shock inboard a bit. Heaps of clearance, and I have an Ohlins spring.
You know sometimes, something is so obvious you don’t see it? My shock is indeed fitted with the narrow spacer to the outside. With the wider spacer to the outside there is plenty of room for the spring!

Somebody buy that man a beer! (me Phil, I’ll buy you that beer)



BUT - my shock was never fitted that way, and there needs to be some material removed from the frame's shock mount for it to bolt up. Currently the top mount on the frame is fouling the shock body, but there’s plenty of beef still there if I remove a little.

The grinder may have to come out tomorrow.

Another observation is that the tyre is now a lot closer to the spring - though I doubt I’ll ever go wider than a 130 section, so that may not be a problem. But I will have to check clearance with an E09, which I think is wider than the current Heidenau.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #65
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,717
I think I had to trim a little off the top shock mount when I had the ohlins in mine.(Long time ago. Sold it when I thought I was going to sell the bike) I think I was just the corner ? I think they clear OK. they will touch the swingarm first.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #66
Box'a'bits
In need of repair
 
Box'a'bits's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
I think I had to trim a little off the top shock mount when I had the ohlins in mine.(Long time ago. Sold it when I thought I was going to sell the bike) I think I was just the corner ? I think they clear OK. they will touch the swingarm first.
Same
__________________
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #67
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,702
my reat tyre is very close the the ohlins spring,closer than original
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #68
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer
 
Eddieb's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: The Tron, New Zealand
Oddometer: 917
It wasn't you I saw with a broken down blue 306 on the Terrace today was it?
__________________
05 DR650 - 86 BMW R80 with Velorex Chair - '67 Ducati 250 Mark 3 Narrow Case - 94 Beta Techno 250

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #69
igormortis OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
igormortis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Moving further away from Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,199
I'm sorry to say that it was. Clutch release bearing is gone.

Will probably get rid of it since I can't face either the bill to get it done or lying under the thing for hours trying to do it myself.

It hasn't done us too badly though - 310k and 9 years isn't too bad a run.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #70
igormortis OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
igormortis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Moving further away from Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,199
I did some some cutting and grinding in the weekend. Kinda perverse taking a cutting disc to your bike’s frame!

P1030503

This...

P1030506

...allows for this. Really glad I didn’t touch the subframe! Plenty of clearance, and just clears the current tyre.

I’m really interested to see what other people’s spring rates are - especially you guys that are also sprung for a pillion and luggage.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #71
Box'a'bits
In need of repair
 
Box'a'bits's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,030
So who knows how to decipher Ohlins spring codes. Mine is 0698-29/90 L392. Definitely too light for pillion & luggage, though I did advise weights & what I anticipated using it for.
__________________
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #72
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
So who knows how to decipher Ohlins spring codes. Mine is 0698-29/90 L392. Definitely too light for pillion & luggage, though I did advise weights & what I anticipated using it for.

I thought you took it to Mr ohlins for an after purchase tune up? Doesn't he replace springs for free if they're not the right type/size/weight/tension?

Igormortis i quite often randomly take a grinder to my frame - something like Edward Grinderhands. I made a puppy shape out of it once for the girlies.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #73
Box'a'bits
In need of repair
 
Box'a'bits's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I thought you took it to Mr ohlins for an after purchase tune up? Doesn't he replace springs for free if they're not the right type/size/weight/tension?
Yes I did. The spring rate is perfect when I don't have a pillion on the back.
__________________
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #74
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer
 
Eddieb's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: The Tron, New Zealand
Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
So who knows how to decipher Ohlins spring codes. Mine is 0698-29/90 L392. Definitely too light for pillion & luggage, though I did advise weights & what I anticipated using it for.
I googled, or rather altavista'd, cause work was boring me this afternoon.

0698 apparently means it's a 230mm spring
The L number is apparently a production batch number.

The below is from elsewhere in ADVrider, which I think was pulled off the net as I found the same text in a number of sites

1091-34/100 is an example of a code you will find on an Ohlins shock spring. Using the below charts you can “decode” what you are looking at.
• The 1091 refers to the diameter and the length of the spring. Almost all Ohlins springs have a diameter of 57mm so that’s easy, the 1091 in this case means it has a 160mm length (when not on the shock)
• The -34 is the spring rate. For some unknown reason Ohlins uses it’s own numbers to label rate, but below on the rate conversion chart you can cross reference this number. In this case a -34 is a 100nm or 10.19kg or 571lb spring
• The /100 is the springs rate in Newton meters, but without the decimal. In this case the /100 means it’s a 100nm spring.

Art. nr. Rate
N/mm Kg/mm ibs/inch

-88 28 2.85 160
30 3.06 171
-90 32 3.26 183
-01 34 3.46 194
-02 36 3.67 206
-03 38 3.87 217
-04 40 4.08 228
-05 42 4.28 240
-06 44 4.48 251
-07 46 4.69 263
-08 48 4.89 274
-09 50 5.10 286
-10 52 5.30 297
-11 54 5.50 308
-12 56 5.71 320
-13 58 5.91 331
-14 60 6.11 343
-15 62 6.32 354
-16 64 6.52 365
-17 66 6.73 377
-18 68 6.93 388
-19 70 7.13 400
-21 75 7.64 428
-24 80 8.15 457
-26 85 8.66 485
-29 90 9.17 514
-31 95 9.68 542
-34 100 10.19 571
-36 105 10.70 600
-39 110 11.21 628
-41 115 11.72 657
-44 120 12.23 685
-49 130 13.25 742
-54 140 14.27 799
-59 150 15.29 857
-64 160 16.30 914
-69 170 17.32 971
-74 180 18.34 1028
-79 190 19.36 1085
-84 200 20.38 1142
-89 210 21.40 1199
__________________
05 DR650 - 86 BMW R80 with Velorex Chair - '67 Ducati 250 Mark 3 Narrow Case - 94 Beta Techno 250

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #75
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
I googled, or rather altavista'd, cause work was boring me this afternoon.

0698 apparently means it's a 230mm spring
The L number is apparently a production batch number.

The below is from elsewhere in ADVrider, which I think was pulled off the net as I found the same text in a number of sites

1091-34/100 is an example of a code you will find on an Ohlins shock spring. Using the below charts you can “decode” what you are looking at.
• The 1091 refers to the diameter and the length of the spring. Almost all Ohlins springs have a diameter of 57mm so that’s easy, the 1091 in this case means it has a 160mm length (when not on the shock)
• The -34 is the spring rate. For some unknown reason Ohlins uses it’s own numbers to label rate, but below on the rate conversion chart you can cross reference this number. In this case a -34 is a 100nm or 10.19kg or 571lb spring
• The /100 is the springs rate in Newton meters, but without the decimal. In this case the /100 means it’s a 100nm spring.

Art. nr. Rate
N/mm Kg/mm ibs/inch

-88 28 2.85 160
30 3.06 171
-90 32 3.26 183
-01 34 3.46 194
-02 36 3.67 206
-03 38 3.87 217
-04 40 4.08 228
-05 42 4.28 240
-06 44 4.48 251
-07 46 4.69 263
-08 48 4.89 274
-09 50 5.10 286
-10 52 5.30 297
-11 54 5.50 308
-12 56 5.71 320
-13 58 5.91 331
-14 60 6.11 343
-15 62 6.32 354
-16 64 6.52 365
-17 66 6.73 377
-18 68 6.93 388
-19 70 7.13 400
-21 75 7.64 428
-24 80 8.15 457
-26 85 8.66 485
-29 90 9.17 514
-31 95 9.68 542
-34 100 10.19 571
-36 105 10.70 600
-39 110 11.21 628
-41 115 11.72 657
-44 120 12.23 685
-49 130 13.25 742
-54 140 14.27 799
-59 150 15.29 857
-64 160 16.30 914
-69 170 17.32 971
-74 180 18.34 1028
-79 190 19.36 1085
-84 200 20.38 1142
-89 210 21.40 1199

Frick me - if this was more exciting than your work I suggest you look at a more exciting job - like licking stamps
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014