ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
it has a external power adepter non the less.
the real issue is it's a less robust usb vrs a round 4 pin not the voltage.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...able-with-Fuse
The 62 does not come with any "power adapter". You can use any common device charger with a usb connector to power a 62. But then you are powering your $300 GPS with some $3 POS power supply that is probably not water proof and not very reliabile. There have been reports of people getting their external power supply wet and it shorted the 12V input to the output. This puts 12V into the 3V input of the GPS turing it into a piece of $300 toast!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Something doesn't sound right here. I generally find that .05 mile resolution is more than good enough for navigating trails. Thus a 500 point track would cover 25 miles and 20 tracks would cover 500 miles or close to 1000 km. You could get full coverage by going to .1 mile between points.

If this doesn't work then your trails network must be dense beyond anything I am used to.
I did the math on one 10,000 point track I have and the resolution is .07 km's per point. Close to what you mention. There's no point in arguing what resolution is best, that can very greatly with the terrain.

But given the choice I wouldn't want a GPS that's limited to 500 points per track. Heck if there was a version of the garmin 62 that let you do more points per track I'd buy it if it wasn't too much more. I don't see why GPS manufacturers impose these track point limits. Probably hardware limited to hit price points. I'd prefer to only have to turn one track on and off instead of 20. I got the GPS as an aid to help me, not to be a hassle.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,356
Still limited to 10,000 total track points.

60 series: 20 X 500 max per segment (total 10,000), 1,000 waypoints, 50 routes

62 series: up to 200 segments, not sure if can exceed 500 per segment now without truncating - haven't tried it (still up to 10,000 total), 2,000 waypoints, 200 routes

Disappointing that there is still a 10,000 trackpoint ceiling, especially with the ability to have 200 (versus 20) segments.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
62 series: up to 200 segments, not sure if can exceed 500 per segment now without truncating - haven't tried it (still up to 10,000 total), 2,000 waypoints, 200 routes.
I believe the 62 holds 200 tracks of 2,000 points each. Which there is no "Saving" required, just give an old Adtive Log a name and download it.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I believe the 62 holds 200 tracks of 2,000 points each. Which there is no "Saving" required, just give an old Adtive Log a name and download it.
Recording relies on available memory and numerous individual track logs could be saved automatically until a memory card is full just as is the case with the 60 series.

Uploading a usable file is where the limitations of segments and points manifest themselves. If I try to load more than 10,000 track points total or more than 200 track segments total I will have exceeded the upload capacity of the unit and the the file will get truncated leaving out the excessive points or segments or both.

Better give Garmin a call and have them change the specs they publish for their products. 200 X 2,000 = 400,000 (40 times what they say their 10,000 track point ceiling is).

Of course I could be wrong about all of this as I am relying on their published product information and not direct personal experience with the unit.

(I really would like to know if they still truncate at 500 points per segment though.)

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes
Preloaded maps: yes (topographic)
Ability to add maps: yes
Built-in memory: 500 MB
Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included)
Waypoints/favorites/locations: 2000
Routes: 200
Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks

Edit:

The DeLorme PN-60 has this track spec -
Holds up to 10 tracks (20,000 points per track), 1,500 user-defined waypoints, and 100 routes.

This is one of the reasons is was disappointing when Garmin came out with a new and expensive unit (without a good power plug arrangement) that could handle 200 separate tracks but that did not expand the 10,000 track point ceiling.

The Delorme suffers from a 10 track upload constraint but has plenty of track points. The Garmin has plenty of track segment upload capacity, but lacks the track point ceiling to make it worth while.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 10:43 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #21
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Recording relies on available memory and numerous individual track logs could be saved automatically until a memory card is full just as is the case with the 60 series.
Saved Tracks do not go on the data card, they go in main memory.

Uploading a usable file is where the limitations of segments and points manifest themselves. If I try to load more than 10,000 track points total or more than 200 track segments total I will have exceeded the upload capacity of the unit and the the file will get truncated leaving out the excessive points or segments or both.
Did you try it or are you just guessing.

Of course I could be wrong about all of this as I am relying on their published product information and not direct personal experience with the unit.

(I really would like to know if they still truncate at 500 points per segment though.)
Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks .
This does not say anything about how may track points per track. The 10,000 points are for the Active Log not Saved Tracks. I am quite sure the main memory has dedicated space for each Saved Track and there are 200 of them and each has 2,000 points possible.

Countdown screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 10:59 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #22
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
This does not say any thing about how may track pints per track. The 10,000 poionts ae for thw Active Log not Saved Tracks. I am quite sure the main memory has dedicated space for each Saved Track and there are 200 of them and each has 2,000 points possible.
Jerry,

I am not guessing. I am reading Garmin's specs. Why publish specs if they don't mean anything? Nowhere in the specs or the user manual does it say anything about 200 X 2,000. They do consistently note the 10,000 point limit though.

But, I would appreciate it if you would conduct a test with your unit to see if when you upload a file from MapSource that has a track segment that exceeds 500 points, if the unit (still) truncates it at 500 points. This was not covered in the specs which is why I noted that I was curious to find out.

Thanks Jerry, and if Garmin is wrongly reporting the 10,000 track point limit in their specifications for the unit, please let them know so they change their product literature. This limitation, and the lousy power plug set up, are the reasons I haven't upgraded to a 62.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Very nice comparison of units/capacities/features here:

http://gpstracklog.com/compare/garmi...mparison-chart
Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #24
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
On the 60CX your own active log track is limited to 10,000 trackpoints.
Uploading existing tracks from mapsource to the 60CX is limited to 500 trackpoints each and a max of 20 tracks.

There is a workaround. If you are only interested in having one track loaded, you can rename the uploaded track to active log and that will allow you to use up to 10,000 trackpoints.

I personally do not find this method very useful when I go on multiple day rides.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #25
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
I often accidently try to upload tracks with more than 500 points and my 60 cx always gives me an error message saying that they are truncated. I checked once and indeed they are.

For navigation purposes filtering down to 500 points has rarely caused problems. Sometimes I will have to hunt around a few minutes for a turn, but that is the worst that happens.

On my 60 the default for tracks is "on", so you don't have to worry about turning them on, but I guess you can turn them off if you want to.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I often accidently try to upload tracks with more than 500 points and my 60 cx always gives me an error message saying that they are truncated.
The question is does this 500 point truncation that we all dealt with in the 60 series still take place in the 62 series? Not a big issue, but it would be nice to know one way or the other.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #27
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
There is a workaround. If you are only interested in having one track loaded, you can rename the uploaded track to active log and that will allow you to use up to 10,000 trackpoints.
Actually, you can have a lot more than just one track over 500 points using this technique. Name them ACTIVE LOG 001, ACTIVE LOG 002, etc. I've often had 50 or more tracks loaded at one time using this approach, several of them well over 500 points. The down side is you can't turn them off, they all will be the same color, and they take away from your track log space if you're trying to record where you've been.

I've moved on from those limitations without buying an expensive GPS. Now I convert my HUNDREDS of tracks into a map, then load the map. I can pick the color and width of each track, each track can have as many points as I want, I can create a separate map for each day with just the tracks for that day, I can turn each map on or off easily, and it leaves my track log 100% available for recordring. All this on my 76cx!
http://www.gpx2img.com/
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #28
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Actually, you can have a lot more than just one track over 500 points using this technique. Name them ACTIVE LOG 001, ACTIVE LOG 002, etc. I've often had 50 or more tracks loaded at one time using this approach, several of them well over 500 points. The down side is you can't turn them off, they all will be the same color, and they take away from your track log space if you're trying to record where you've been.

I've moved on from those limitations without buying an expensive GPS. Now I convert my HUNDREDS of tracks into a map, then load the map. I can pick the color and width of each track, each track can have as many points as I want, I can create a separate map for each day with just the tracks for that day, I can turn each map on or off easily, and it leaves my track log 100% available for recordring. All this on my 76cx!
http://www.gpx2img.com/
That looks like a nice product!

A lot of us that share/publish tracks for others to download from the web and then upload and use are interested in knowing the limitations of each of the units so that we can produce a GPX file that even very basic users can easily upload and that will "fit" into their units without a lot of extra effort.

For quite a while, the standard has been no more than 20 segments of no more than 500 points each. Many of us have made some adjustments for individuals who use Zumo or PN units so that the file fits the limitations of those units.

I am curious as to what the track segment limit of track points is on the 62. If it is greater than the 500 we have dealt with in the past, it would be good to know for sure what the new limit is. With up to 200 segments and 10,000 points total, there is some nice flexibility in producing files that would work well with the 62.

Of course, with so many 60 series in use, I guess we will be structuring most files we share within the 20 X 500 structure anyway.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #29
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Jerry,

But, I would appreciate it if you would conduct a test with your unit. This was not covered in the specs which is why I noted that I was curious to find out.

This limitation, and the lousy power plug set up, are the reasons I haven't upgraded to a 62
Sorry, I don't have one either, and my question was based on thinking you had one. I will be happy to make a file for some one to test with. My answer is based on being a senior system engineer. It would ber very complicated firmware to have total memory space for all tracks vs limit for each track.

To all the other smart guys answereing some question that was not asked (how to get more performance out of a 60) Cannonshot is trying to find out exactly what a 62 does. However llike you pointed out, the 62 is DOA. Look at a 78 just like the 76 is far better than 60.

The 62/78 just don't have enough added features over 60/76 and has a couple drawbacks for me. I am watcing the Montana and waiting for them to finally finish the firmware without screwing it up and for the price to drop. I like it as it looks like the first unit that would work on both bike and car.

I will ask RWAMF, I am sure he has done it.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #30
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Still limited to 10,000 total track points.

60 series: 20 X 500 max per segment (total 10,000), 1,000 waypoints, 50 routes

62 series: up to 200 segments, not sure if can exceed 500 per segment now without truncating - haven't tried it (still up to 10,000 total), 2,000 waypoints, 200 routes

Disappointing that there is still a 10,000 trackpoint ceiling, especially with the ability to have 200 (versus 20) segments.
That is incorrect.

The 62 series can hold 200 tracks with 10,000 track points each. For a total of 2 million possible track points! At least that's what the brochure says. As a test I successfully loaded a track to my 62S with 14,000 track points.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote