Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,413
How hard is it to sell bikes with over 100k miles?

It seems alot of riders on advrider have bikes with over 100k miles on them. Alot of the bmw gs's have over 100k and still fetch pretty good prices. But here is an example of a DL650 on the flea market.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1001582

a great price. But how many of you would shy away from examples like this?

I have a ninja 250 with 85k miles, and i shrug when i think if i want to sell this bike the price ill get. At a certain point they seem better to keep than to sell for super cheap.

What is the best mileage to let go of bikes from? Specially for riders who use them alot and accumulate alot of mileage?
scorch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
How do you sell a member of the family like that?
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Dang

Many of the bikes made now have the cylinder cast with the crankcase. If the bore needs work, the bike will be discarded. Sure it will last a long time, but look at what awaits when a modern bike needs any serious work. After 100,000 miles there is trouble a-brewin'.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
How do you sell a member of the family like that?
I did and REALLY regret it.

A 250 Ninja with 85,000 miles.....unfortunately very low resale value. Is the $$ or parking space that important.

I bought a new DRZ400 just for mud season, maybe 2 months. Just another bike in the garage.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
I did and REALLY regret it.

A 250 Ninja with 85,000 miles.....unfortunately very low resale value. Is the $$ or parking space that important.

I bought a new DRZ400 just for mud season, maybe 2 months. Just another bike in the garage.
Sell the bike to someone as a. Parts bike?

I mean I might buy a super high mileage bike as a project, but I would pay project price for it unless some major work had been done. Same with cop bikes. Lots of my friends bought Kawi 1000 s from cop auctions only to start having major problems soon after. Apparently oil cooled bikes don't like being idled for hours at a time.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Bluebone
straight to hell

Oddometer: 2,389
i've never had one go over 100k. if i did it would prolly just become a backup bike or something that's just to much a part of me to sell.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Many of the bikes made now have the cylinder cast with the crankcase. If the bore needs work, the bike will be discarded. Sure it will last a long time, but look at what awaits when a modern bike needs any serious work. After 100,000 miles there is trouble a-brewin'.
This really depends on the bike. There are many ST1100s, ST1300s, Goldwings well into a second or even third 100k with no major work getting there. If the engine fails or develops a serious problem there plenty of low mileage eBay engines for the taking and they are not expensive. If you like the bike and have bonded with it this is much cheaper than buying another one.

Dave
dduelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:20 AM   #8
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch View Post
I have a ninja 250 with 85k miles, and i shrug when i think if i want to sell this bike the price ill get. At a certain point they seem better to keep than to sell for super cheap.

What is the best mileage to let go of bikes from? Specially for riders who use them alot and accumulate alot of mileage?
IMO the only way to "make money" on a bike is to buy something you like and ride it forever, like you did with the Ninjette. At 85K you've gotten your money's worth, so who cares about resale? Give it to a favorite nephew and call it good.

My pet theory is that I like to try to get $0.10 per mile oout of a bike. For instance, if I buy a bike for $10,000, I "break even" if I ride it for 100,000 miles or I ride it for 50,000 miles and sell it for $5000 (or some other combination that adds up to $10K). It's tough to do these days, with every new bike costing north of $15K. I buy used, and hang on for a long time.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #9
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,276
That Ninja doesn't owe you anything.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #10
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Damn near impossible to sell ANY bike unless you are just about giving it away. The explosion of forums, eBay, c-list, and all the other outlets have given sellers many different ways to market a bike. But its also allowed the market to be flooded with used bikes from individual owners, bring pricing down below real value in many cases.

Just look at the flea market on this site alone. Seems like there are 30-40 new bikes listed almost every day. There are 3-4,000 bikes listed on eBay everyday. Almost the same number on c-list within 100 miles of my location.

I've got an 86 Concours w/92K sitting in my workshop. If I ever sell it, I guess I'll let it go real cheap, or part it out. With a carb clean and a new battery I wouldn't hesitate to ride it cross country, but I'll never get real value for it.
patmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #11
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,775
It's tough and I wouldn't buy one. Not because of that particular mileage but because I can spend another few hundred and get one with 50k that's not faded, rubber and plastic cracking, etc.

That extra few hundred would be worth it to me.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Damn near impossible to sell ANY bike unless you are just about giving it away. The explosion of forums, eBay, c-list, and all the other outlets have given sellers many different ways to market a bike. But its also allowed the market to be flooded with used bikes from individual owners, bring pricing down below real value in many cases.

Just look at the flea market on this site alone. Seems like there are 30-40 new bikes listed almost every day. There are 3-4,000 bikes listed on eBay everyday. Almost the same number on c-list within 100 miles of my location.

I've got an 86 Concours w/92K sitting in my workshop. If I ever sell it, I guess I'll let it go real cheap, or part it out. With a carb clean and a new battery I wouldn't hesitate to ride it cross country, but I'll never get real value for it.
Wtf you talking about? When there was no internet as a seller you couldnt find buyers as easily and so you had to sell to less people, that reduced prices.

Having more buyers increases demand so raises prices. Basic microeconomics
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Wtf you talking about? When there was no internet as a seller you couldnt find buyers as easily and so you had to sell to less people, that reduced prices.

Having more buyers increases demand so raises prices. Basic microeconomics
I'm with there being a lot more supply as well.

Back in the days of yore, I scrapped more than one vehicle simply because I couldn't find a buyer in my advertising area - which was pretty much 20 square miles - and it was costly to advertise.

Now I can sling something on the interweb, often for free, and my advertising area is pretty much global.

I'd say my practical bike buying and selling area (there and back in a day) has, at least, quadrupled, it not a hell of a lot more.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post

The value of an object is what someone is willing to pay for it. If no one wants to pay what you ask for it, it's value is higher to you than anyone else.. So keep it. Yes increased supply may reduce price, but otoh as others have pointed out increased marketing area increases demand.

Back when I was considering a used ADV bike it seemed like every BMW was over 50k and over 5k$. Too rich for my blood, but those bikes were selling at those prices, so that was there value. Just not my value. I bought the TDM and never looked back.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Unless it was an unbelievable deal, I wouldn't buy a high mileage bike. There are way too many low mileage bikes on the market. My Road King is just north of 60,000 miles and I figure I'd have to price it lower than I'd be willing to sell it for if I ever decided to sell it. There are just too many 10 year old bikes for sale with 2500 miles on them.
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote