Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,305
Was turned into on the freeway lane splitting...

Was on the 10 heading East approaching the 405 interchange today at 4pmish was intending to take 405 south. Heavy traffic moving 30ish. I was going with traffic slightly faster to pass. A gap opened in front on my right (from a car slowing) I thought to focus as cars might use it for merging, the car on my left came over they did not know I was there, their side view mirror touched the luff of my jacket. It was a proper fitting jacket with armor so we're talking minimal "luff."

I knew they were coming over and since the hole was to my right I turned in it..
Was proud of myself, stayed calm, saw it happening-anticipated it, talked myself through it took my eyes off the vehicle and looked for the safe place to me over to.

But wait there's more, another car on the right also wanted to come into the hole. At this point I thought yer kidding right?

The car on my right saw me and the vehicle coming in towards him and he hit the brakes, I continued into the hole and the car on my left veered back to his left and slowed a bit, at this point the safe path out was in fornt of the car to my left as he slowed. I pull in front of them and give him a thumbs up like we're all good.

So happy that it all flowed just like it did, did not Crash!!!

Merged onto the 405 rode home -- feeling an SUV touch my jacket is about as close as I ever want to get. Fuckkk....

Ride long enough ya got stories like this, share yours..

Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Lane splitting. You're doing it right!
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Might want to slow a bit in merging areas. They can be very problematic at times. Glad you made it through alright though.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Just did a merkin trip earlier this year and the LA traffic is nuts. Really agressive lane changes without indicators. Well done for the avoid.
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Yeah I really wish highways would have half a lane, all the way to the left, just for motorcyclists. Nobody would merge into us (hopefully) and would allow us to flow through traffic faster and safer. HOV lanes serve that purpose of course, but they are not available on all of the roads.

I hate lane splitting for that one reason. I had cars merge into me multiple times, without blinkers, and quite aggressively, trying to fill an opened up gap as quickly as they can.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Yeah I really wish highways would have half a lane, all the way to the left, just for motorcyclists. Nobody would merge into us (hopefully) and would allow us to flow through traffic faster and safer. HOV lanes serve that purpose of course, but they are not available on all of the roads.
Collisions still occur in bicycle lanes, which have the same idea. They also tend to fill with debris. Not a good idea, nevermind you are then creating additional problems, such as reducing your ability to avoid obstructions/debris/collisions.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
motif
Banned

Oddometer: 201
I told you already lane splitting is accident waiting to happen.
motif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #8
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Lane splitting is most dangerous when there is a gap in the cars. Cars see other cars and wont try to merge into them. So you just need to slow down where there are gaps in the lines of cars.

Of course exits are also risky as people need to move.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #9
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 582
Are you sure those guys merging were strangers
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
Might want to slow a bit in merging areas. They can be very problematic at times. Glad you made it through alright though.
I was traveling at a speed that allowed for me to make the maneuvers. Filtering is probably the better word than lane splitting. Also I always feel more comfortable in crowded conditions between the cars in my my lane/space as oppose to "in-line" as if I was a car.

Motorcycles have their own lane system and I was in it, needed to use the car lanes for avoidance.

That type of congestion is the worst type of traffic to deal with. Don't go to fast and anticipate are very helpful.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #11
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
Was on the 10 heading East approaching the 405 interchange today at 4pmish was intending to take 405 south. Heavy traffic moving 30ish. I was going with traffic slightly faster to pass. A gap opened in front on my right (from a car slowing) I thought to focus as cars might use it for merging, the car on my left came over they did not know I was there, their side view mirror touched the luff of my jacket. It was a proper fitting jacket with armor so we're talking minimal "luff."

I knew they were coming over and since the hole was to my right I turned in it..
Was proud of myself, stayed calm, saw it happening-anticipated it, talked myself through it took my eyes off the vehicle and looked for the safe place to me over to.

But wait there's more, another car on the right also wanted to come into the hole. At this point I thought yer kidding right?

The car on my right saw me and the vehicle coming in towards him and he hit the brakes, I continued into the hole and the car on my left veered back to his left and slowed a bit, at this point the safe path out was in fornt of the car to my left as he slowed. I pull in front of them and give him a thumbs up like we're all good.

So happy that it all flowed just like it did, did not Crash!!!

Merged onto the 405 rode home -- feeling an SUV touch my jacket is about as close as I ever want to get. Fuckkk....

Ride long enough ya got stories like this, share yours..

Was the audible collision avoidance device employed at all during this melee?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
kimber45
I'm over it.

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
if you open a spot in front of you by slowing someone will try to use it.

i always tighten gaps in these situations.
kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #13
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,222
What speeds is filtering considered acceptable?
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
Buliwyf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Yeah, that sounds worth it.

Get to work early for an extra cup of joe before clocking in. Just have to risk getting squished by traffic.

Maybe 30 is too fast to filter.
Buliwyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #15
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Lane splitting is most dangerous when there is a gap in the cars. Cars see other cars and wont try to merge into them. So you just need to slow down where there are gaps in the lines of cars.

Of course exits are also risky as people need to move.

To me lane spltting is dangerous all the time! (But I do pilot a sidecar rig!)
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote