User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 569
Fatigue

Ive had a hellish scheduled at work this week working a 21 ,18.5 and a 22 hour day back to back . This evening I take a 2 or 3 hour nap , when I wake up I felt pretty good and decide to jump on the bike to go to the store and maybe do a little riding . Even though I felt good and alert I could barely operate the bike especially at low speed.My brain was telling my body what to do and it felt like my body was doing it but it was clear it wasnt . I went to the store and was riding so bad I turned around and rode home under 25 mph .

So how often do yall have fatigue sneak up on yall ? I could see it being a issue after a day of offroad riding or a multiday tight scheduled trip.Im used to working long hours and can normally hold up well under such conditions but it surprised me how it rared its head on the bike. I unfortunately have a very busy life so most of my bike riding is confined to a few or less hour rides so no long days on the bike yet for reference . Well off to bed my boss told me not to work tonight .... thank god .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,051
In my industry fatigue is a well known issue. The only cure for it is rest. On those long 20 hour days, just do the basics. Eat sleep,shower,repeat. If you're to the point that you're a hazard from fatigue,admit it and knock off early unless it's life or death. At that point minimize risk to yourself and others. Driving or riding tired is as bad as doing it drunk. Pull over and nap if possible.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Working those hours is dangerous to your health. I worked 52hrs straight once including a drive from London to Geneva - I fell asleep at the wheel for about a second, scary, I was young and thought I could do anything. Long hours for days on end will get you in the end - change jobs.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,246
I used to work in a factory (hard labor) 12 hours a day for 28 days straight, then 4 days off, back to 28 days straight. I aimed for 6 hours/day sleep, but sometimes I would reduce it to 3-4 to give myself more time to do stuff. I was a zombie most of the time. I would not want to ride in traffic like that.

You were smart to go home.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,471
I did a 98 hour week a couple of years ago when I had a core domain server going tits up.

That sucked.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:39 AM   #6
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,314
Yup - it effects everyone
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
Yup - it effects everyone
affects

Quote:
“Affect” as a verb. (The norm) To have an influence on; to impress or to move; to produce a change in something or someone.

Example: His study was intended to show how alcohol affects reaction time.

“Effect” as a noun. (Common usage) Something brought about; a result.

Example: They discussed the effect of the law on children.
You're welcome!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 484
Had what could have been my last ride because of fatigue.

Worked through the night (was a night shift worker at the time) then spent the morning working on the bike then rode for three hours. Came to a city whose light sequence I knew off by heart and was just too tired to realise I needed to go quicker along one stretch of road to make the next light (followed immediately by a 45° right so heavy on the brakes and then lean. I know, I know but when you timed it right it was a great feeling).

Went through the light on red and probably wouldn't have made the turn anyway but hit a taxi in the front end instead. Went a long way though the air (estimated combined impact speed was 70mph) and landed flat on my back. No injuries but my bike was considerably shorter that it was supposed to be.

I got lucky but I have never forgotten that lesson. I have slept in a field a couple of times since then rather than take the chance of riding heavilly fatigued.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
I ran the boiler crew at a cannery.
During the season worked 12hr. days for 5-6 months straight,no days off.
In the start, every one was smiling,4 months later it was fuck you.
It gets every one.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 364
Pretty timely article in USA today
http://college.usatoday.com/2014/06/...e-study-shows/
Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
affects

You're welcome!
Point of order sir ;p

"Affect" can be also be a noun and "effect" can be a verb....although in the poster's context your correction was correct.

I yield the floor
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #12
Louis Wambsganss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
When I ride home after a 12 hour shift, I usually don't feel tired or sleepy, but many times I just can't seem to roll to a stop without putting my feet down and duck walking a step or two. Usually, I have no problem balancing, but I start to get wobbly when fatigued. Even while this is happening, I am awake and alert and my vision is fine, but I just can't balance as well as usual.

Basically, fatigued and tired are two different things. Everyone can tell when they are tired, but you have to actually pay attention to your body and actions to tell the effects of fatigue.
Louis Wambsganss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:42 AM   #13
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,297
I know when I'm fatigued I start to see ghostly purple feathers when I blink. Why is that?
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
Wraith Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Even after the regular 8h work day no one is at 100% of his skills - riding, driving or whatever. Sadly most don't recognize or admit it.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 811
Last summer I was working different shifts every week sometimes two different shifts in the same week. Night shift really screwed with me and I had really bad sleeping problems for the rest of the summer. A couple of times coming home at 7am in the morning I almost fell asleep. I didn't think that would be possible on a bike but sure enough coming up to an intersection I was slowing down and not really focusing on anything and the next thing I know the bike is starting to lean over luckily I caught it/woke up before I went down but it was an eye opener. (Pun intended)

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.