Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #151
Soapy
Tarmac Stromer

Oddometer: 16
I enjoy taking the Wife's Sportster out for a trundle every now and then, good fun bike on the right roads. But those stupid indicator controls................why for the love of God ...........WHY???
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #152
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,246
Had a Ducati 996s that had annoying ability to just die in the middle of nowhere randomly every 3-4 months. Some electrical relay issue..... Sold the bike after I fixed this problem. Felt like I was chasing my tail figuring out what the problem was. Of course I'd own another. Oh and it's suspension was flawless as long as I was going 30 mph over the speed limit.

KTM 950 adventure general maintenance. Oil changes, air filter replacement , etc are a tad labor intensive. It's not hard it 's just 25 steps to do something that should take 4 steps. It's worth it though to own a bike like this though.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #153
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
That Ducati suspension complaint sure applied to my Hypermotard 796. Great little engine, but the bike just felt squirrely in the corners which of coarse is why you buy such a bike. Tried to have the forks overhauled only to find they cant have a cartridge installed or even be fully disasembled. Such a piece of shit on an otherwise nice bike. Now that I have new Andreani forks in place of the OEM's, life is good.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #154
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWillys View Post
Yes, I've been there, done that and cursed them too. However, I eventually learned that it is likely they are JIS head, not Phillips. Supposedly, using a JIS screw driver versus a Phillips will do wonders toward not stripping out a JIS head fastener. I still don't own a JIS driver but I do have an impact driver that I've even replaced bits for...

Ken
A JIS driver will work great on a Phillips head but not the other way around. JIS heads are usually marked with a little dot or a cross next to the cut out. If you can't get a hold of a JIS specific driver, grinding a bit of the tip off a Phillips driver will usually do the trick. IMHO
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #155
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
The speedometer/entire console on my 690 Enduro (not the R model, different setup) is absolute crap. It was great when I bought it, but eventually individual sections of the LCD started flickering in and out.

I had it replaced under warranty. The official distributor *for all of australia* wasn't just out of stock, but they couldn't get them in because their supplier was out of stock! Several *months* later (I normally get parts shipped overnight from the same supplier), and one speeding ticket later (I don't even know how fast I was going, had to trust the officer's very high speed reading), the thing finally arrived. I didn't even know exactly how many km's were on the bike, because it was unreadable (and the new one reset me to zero).

Fast forward two years. It's failing the exact same way now. Every second ride, I can't read anything on the console. And no warranty this time. FFS.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #156
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
Wee's don't have that side gizmo helmet lock like on the DL1000?
Ahh Ha! So there is a flaw with the 650.
The only 1K I've ever looked closely at had the same stupid design--pop seat, hook cable over hook, run through D-ring, put other end over hook, replace seat. Are you telling me some 1Ks have a real helmet lock?! If so I am going to cannibalize one
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #157
nukemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Today I discovered a couple of flaws with my "new" KLR 650:

1. Crap fasteners. Who uses phillips head on anything these days?

2. Needlessly complex battery removal. Not difficult, just more steps than I'm used to. Probably wouldn't bother me if it had a maintenance free battery.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #158
zeerx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
ALL vacuum operated petcocks.
'66 CL77
'12 F150 (Ford)
zeerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #159
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,665
Every bike that I want...I don't currently own. I hate that.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #160
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Today I remembered another annoying one about the DL650 V-Strom: worst. helmet. lock. ever.
Normally I put my helmet in the top box, but I had too much crap in there today and had to take the f@#king seat off and use a little cable to lock it up. Even TU250s and KLRs have helmet locks FFS. It's an especially odd omission design feature for a bike so popular with commuters.
Fixed x2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
The only 1K I've ever looked closely at had the same stupid design--pop seat, hook cable over hook, run through D-ring, put other end over hook, replace seat. Are you telling me some 1Ks have a real helmet lock?!
You were actually looking at the acommodation for locking a second helmet to the 1K. Yes, the 1K is (separately) equipped with a proper, key-operated helmet lock on the left side, in front of and just below the passenger peg.

Tall Man screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 10:43 AM Reason: Bringing order to chaos
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #161
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Why don't all bikes come w/ heated grips?

I know most American riders only take their bikes out for an afternoon ride on a 75 degree Sunday but still.
Because I can buy heated gloves.

Much better.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #162
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
So far the running theme is sensitive tushies... ehem.... that is, I mean, hard seats.
Ride a road bicycle for a while and then every motorcycle seat is a gift from Zeus.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #163
southwade OP
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by schickmeister View Post
every bike that i want...i don't currently own. I hate that.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsesino View Post
Ride a road bicycle for a while and then every motorcycle seat is a gift from Zeus.
I just bought a fixie the other day... I can agree with this, it takes some getting used too.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #164
Sweetzombiejesus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Honda Shadow 600s. They have no fifth gear. Made in 2007 and no fifth gear.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #165
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
You were actually looking at the acommodation for locking a second helmet to the 1K. Yes, the 1K is (separately) equipped with a proper, key-operated helmet lock on the left side, in front of and just below the passenger peg.
Now I have to figure out how to retrofit one to my 650. Knowing the 1K has one makes me wonder even more WTF Suzuki was on when they left it off the 650. It can't have saved much money.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote