User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #256
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 900
where is my centerstand

if it is a street bike and has a chain drive it should have a centerstand as standard equiptment and not a $130 - $200 accessory.

as for the lack of harley posts i think most are bought by people that take them to the dealer to get fixed.
the pirate crowd no longer comes to ADV after darla clued them in to how we roll.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #257
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,692
Love my FZ6...but the automatic cam chain tensioner is rather annoying. Only have 7,500 miles, and already had to buy a replacement since it makes an annoying click at lower RPMs.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #258
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorat View Post
if it is a street bike and has a chain drive it should have a centerstand as standard equiptment and not a $130 - $200 accessory.
Yessss......

Quote:
as for the lack of harley posts i think most are bought by people that take them to the dealer to get fixed. the pirate crowd no longer comes to ADV after darla clued them in to how we roll.
I think you only end up with a Harley if what you want is a Harley, in which case, any shortcomings are accepted as a necessary part of the package. For most of us, if you own a Yamahonda, you'd be just as happy to own a Kawazuki if it does the job better, so we've got somewhere to go to and something to compare to.

I mentioned owning British cars earlier. I've also got a 1984 BMW R65 I've owned since 1987. Like my British cars, I've got a long list of "stuff" I know about that bike. Just off the top of my head, to start it on a cold morning requires exactly the right technique, the ignition coils are a known weak point and I've replaced the stator, rotor and the hall effect pickup in the distributor (aka bean can; despite being a car distributor, it doesn't distribute anything on an Airhead).

And yet it doesn't occur to me to hate these flaws; they're simply things I've learnt along the way owning a bike which, on balance, I really like and which is quite unlike anything else available.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #259
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGypsy View Post
did you not see my post earlier about the seat on the crossbones?
I did, I did and I concur. That was one of the two posts, even though it was mostly positive. My ass loves my crossbones. For example, after spending much of the last two years recovering from a badly broken leg (3 surgeries, hip replaced and knee to follow) I can still put in 8 to 10 hour days on that bike with out any complaints. Sorry for the hijack.

FUCK CANCER!!!!

waveydavey screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 01:18 AM
waveydavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #260
waveydavey
happy times!!

it was just an observation...

FUCK CANCER!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #261
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,417
No particular bikes, but flaws that many do have.

I know that some are easy to replace, but I have really big hands and most grips feel like I am twisting a pencil.

Trying to get a tankbag to fit and stay in place on some weirdly shaped, non-metal fuel tanks.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #262
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
I did, I did and I concur. That was one of the two posts, even though it was mostly positive. My ass loves my crossbones. For example, after spending much of the last two years recovering from a badly broken leg (3 surgeries, hip replaced and knee to follow) I can still put in 8 to 10 hour days on that bike with out any complaints. Sorry for the hijack.
i seriously think that if the crossbones had decent brakes from the factory, i might be riding a different bike right now i LOVED that bike in stock form (sans aforementioned brakes). very comfy for us tall people, with the mini apes and footboards. and that seat. my ass still dreams about that seat. i felt like i was floating when i was demo-ing that machine.

and good for you still riding after your leg repairs!
DJGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #263
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

Quote:
i agree. and dont have said centerstand drag before the pegs do. (hey Triumph! FUCK YOU!)

...or at least have the exhaust on the opposite side of the chain for easy access. (hey Triumph! FUCK YOU!)
Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #264
VozProto
Type A ADD w/ OCD

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike14 View Post
Love my FZ6...but the automatic cam chain tensioner is rather annoying. Only have 7,500 miles, and already had to buy a replacement since it makes an annoying click at lower RPMs.
This has been an issue with yamahas for quite some time now.
At least they made it easy to replace.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #265
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
i seriously think that if the crossbones had decent brakes from the factory, i might be riding a different bike right now i LOVED that bike in stock form (sans aforementioned brakes). very comfy for us tall people, with the mini apes and footboards. and that seat. my ass still dreams about that seat. i felt like i was floating when i was demo-ing that machine.

A 4 piston front brake caliper from Performance Machine fixes that fault. Big improvement for $500.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #266
jpgrego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
To start off, I have to say that I love my Buell XB and the incredibly low maintenance relative to every other bike I've ever owned.

However it does have one flaw that drive me up a wall.... when you pull the oil drain plug, it dumps the oil directly on the top of the exhaust outlet. If all it did was get the exhaust oily it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it comes out quickly enough that it creates a 'fan spray' and gets oil on everything nearby including the rear tire.
jpgrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #267
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgrego View Post
To start off, I have to say that I love my Buell XB and the incredibly low maintenance relative to every other bike I've ever owned.

However it does have one flaw that drive me up a wall.... when you pull the oil drain plug, it dumps the oil directly on the top of the exhaust outlet. If all it did was get the exhaust oily it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it comes out quickly enough that it creates a 'fan spray' and gets oil on everything nearby including the rear tire.
Use some aluminum foil to fashion a sluice that will redirect the oil flow.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #268
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

chiming in on foil usage. i do the same thing on my car right now so that when i remove the oil filter, the oil doesn't coat the entire front lower subframe.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #269
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
A 4 piston front brake caliper from Performance Machine fixes that fault. Big improvement for $500.
oh you dick. now i won't be able to sleep now, i'll have the "what if" on the brain.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #270
jpgrego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Use some aluminum foil to fashion a sluice that will redirect the oil flow.
I actually stole a trick from my days with a Miata and built a channel out of cardboard. Anyone who has changed oil on one of those has to either use cardboard to redirect the oil, or else get oil on everything on the lower right side of the engine bay.
jpgrego is offline   Reply With Quote