Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #271
Bluebone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
I have 7 motorcycles in my garage. One is a '99' Sportster. It is the least needy, easiest to maintain, cheapest to insure, biggest grin to ride, and likely the most dependable bike in the fleet. I say "likely most dependable" because it's up against a Honda CRF230, and they don't get any tougher than that. Haters gotta hate I guess.
i have to agree. i used to have a '96 sportster and i loved it. i put in several 500+ mile days om it with no problems. i wished i had it back but a job change and relocation to a place where i had no place to keep it safe caused me to sell it.
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #272
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I love my Multistrada.
I hate the fact that it took 6 hours to remove the tank and seat then put the bike back together.
Next time it will take a little less time and the new seat is velcro'd down to save time. I'm not looking forward to removing the tank for the valve adjustment in a few months.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #273
DonovanM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Bluhduh

Lack of a 6th gear on my KLR.

Everything else... the useless front brake, poor suspension etc... that is just par for the course for a cheap ass bike and can all be changed if I wanted to spend the money on it. I don't, so I deal with it. But I'm stuck with 5 gears. If 1st gear was just a little shorter, then I could gear it taller, but as it stands if I gear it taller I have to feather the clutch too much, which is really annoying in the city/stop and go traffic.

Sigh. Love the bike anyway though
DonovanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #274
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 213
It is sort of like complaining that Pamela Anderson's snoring keeps you awake at night but I hate that at 22 mph on sand trails, my R1200GS sends a fine stream of dry sand up between the tank and the headstock and into my chest.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #275
DonovanM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
It is sort of like complaining that Pamela Anderson's snoring keeps you awake at night but I hate that at 22 mph on sand trails, my R1200GS sends a fine stream of dry sand up between the tank and the headstock and into my chest.

Lee
Sounds like that could be fixed pretty easily with a strategically placed piece of aluminum or plastic or something?
DonovanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #276
Frostback
Frostback

Donovan- probably could but when it is happening I don't have tools or the time, being all occupied with keeping a pig skating through the throwdown stuff. When it is not happening, I don't think about it.

I do wonder why the front fender doesn't extend just a bit lower though.

Lee
Old 09-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #277
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
Sounds like that could be fixed pretty easily with a strategically placed piece of aluminum or plastic or something?
Where would you suggest placing a piece of aluminum or plastic to prevent Pamela Anderson from snoring?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #278
Frostback
Frostback

Slartbartifast, my reply counts for both sand and Pamela.

Lee
Old 09-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #279
element6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Was just thinking tonight that I need go sandwich in a rubber donut between the bottom of the engine and the bash plate before the next oil change on my triumph tiger 1200 to keep the bash plate from catching and dribbling out waste oil for the next week. A foil dam might do the trick, too.
Putting it on the side stand to remove the filter made it a little less messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGypsy View Post
chiming in on foil usage. i do the same thing on my car right now so that when i remove the oil filter, the oil doesn't coat the entire front lower subframe.
element6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #280
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
Lack of a 6th gear on my KLR.

Everything else... the useless front brake, poor suspension etc... that is just par for the course for a cheap ass bike and can all be changed if I wanted to spend the money on it. I don't, so I deal with it. But I'm stuck with 5 gears. If 1st gear was just a little shorter, then I could gear it taller, but as it stands if I gear it taller I have to feather the clutch too much, which is really annoying in the city/stop and go traffic.

Sigh. Love the bike anyway though
I loved my 2011 but it is what it is and it had few too many shortcomings for my needs. I fixed the nitpicky stuff on mine by picking up a Tiger 800 Friday
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #281
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
This is a very interesting thread. 245 posts from people who own bikes with annoying faults. 245. And only 2 posts are about flaws on Harley Davidson motorcycles. I would have thought that there would have been more, being as how they are held in such low regard by many. I guess there are a lot of happy Harley Davidson owners out there.

Or there isn't any Wi-Fi at the Bars they hang out at.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #282
H e a d N o r t h
(take the high road)

Oddometer: 929
I love my '06 (Aprilia) Caponord, but the rear brakes need to be bled and fluid freshened much too frequently. I often can't get through a day without them fading badly. Never the fronts, though. Wierd, since they are brembos front and rear. But in understand a number of aprilia models do this...

First Ride...EVER!
Jan. 1, 2012
H e a d N o r t h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #283
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by H e a d N o r t h View Post
I love my '06 (Aprilia) Caponord, but the rear brakes need to be bled and fluid freshened much too frequently. I often can't get through a day without them fading badly. Never the fronts, though. Wierd, since they are brembos front and rear. But in understand a number of aprilia models do this...

From what I've read - they pretty much all do. My '07 Tuono certainly does. It really pisses me off too!
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #284
MadOgre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
The Honda Superhawk: It needs a bigger fuel tank.
The Honda Magnas: Need a higher gear.
MadOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #285
Splendidtutional
What does that mean?

Oddometer: 46
G650gs

My G650 GS has a few. First bike and overall I love it. But there are flaws...

Often wont shift into firt gear. In second, pull clutch, come to stop, wont go into first no matter how hard I stomp. have to be rolling about 10mph to have a chance at first and even then, no guarantee. This is most annoying when in traffic and the red light suddenly turns green and I am almost to a stop.

The previously mentioned oil change procedure.

The lack of a helmet lock. I know a lot of bikes dont come with them, and I do appreciate the stock (on my 09) center stand, ABS (get some use out of that in DC!) and heated grips, but a helmet lock would just take the cake.

Heck, I dont even mind that when I shift it sounds liek a screen door slamming shut, I just want it to shift into first gear consistently!

Love the bike though...
Splendidtutional is offline   Reply With Quote