Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #316
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by b dash rian View Post
Spaghetti wiring on my Ducati Monster. no gauges work anymore, and it seems to think there's no oil when its raining... And to boot, a quick rainstorm means the "black key" may not start the bike anymore, because the theft system is triggered.
THe wiring was fine on my Monster 800 but I hated the immobilzer with all the microcircuits in the gauge cluster, read plenty of stories of people who had replaced several, you probably have a bad one rather than wiring problems. I was afraid to ride mine in the rain and when I did when I got home I took the cluster off the bike, opened it up, and put it in a sealed bag of rice (risotto of course ;-) to dry it out...this worked but was a total PITA...an incredibly bad design. Also despised the sloping seat but a new Sargent fixed that however was not cheap. Sold the Monster recently for various reasons but its inability to handle rain was a big one. Lots of threads on the gauge issues, one is at http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...ent-panel.html and has some photos...

victor441 screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 10:43 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #317
southwade OP
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,523
The fact that my motorcycle, and most motorcycles, are designed for a 150lb rider....

flickr / tumblr
southwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #318
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
The fact that my motorcycle, and most motorcycles, are designed for a 150lb rider....
Too fat or too thin? I'm the latter.

I wish the GSA was less fat, but I like the fuel capacity, especially on Sigh-10, gasoline should weigh less.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #319
southwade OP
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
Too fat or too thin? I'm the latter.
I work out too much, 215lbs, 42" chest, 32" waist... It's even hard finding riding gear.

flickr / tumblr
southwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #320
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
or that most bikes (that i like) are made for someone with a 35" inseam.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #321
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Fucking hated them whizzy brakes on mah Beemer!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #322
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I used to have a 1984 Honda xr500. Great bike. Nice plastics. Terrible everything else. I loved that bike though

-Headlight mounting straps were to tight so when i hit a bump they would snap. (3 times)
-Dual carbs were a b**** to get off, easy to clean, then a b**** to get back on.
-Cam chains stretched really easily.
-Pegs sat at a funny angle so riding for very long your feet started to cramp up.
-Front brakes (Hydraulic disc) was fit for a 150 lb like so whenever i tried to stop that monster of a bike they'd heat up and boil the fluid out of the lines.
AND THE BIGGEST PROBLEM OF EVERY SINGLE USED BIKE

PREVIOUS OWNERS
The jack*** thhat owned my xr before me rebuilt the bike in his garage.... Stripped 3 of the bolts holding the head down, 1 bolt holding the cylinder down and had the engine loosley tightened to the frame. At least pulling the engine out was easy for me
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #323
davethegoat
bahhh....bah...

Oddometer: 208
flaws

crf450r.....Chain stretch. I've put three different chains on it and they all stretch within 2 hours of adjusting them. It wouldn't be that big of a deal except that the knobbies get chewed off the side of the tire. I now have an o-ring chain and it does it too. I know it takes less than a minute to adjust it but I forgot to bring the torque wrench last ride out and had to call off the rest of the day's ride because of it...

Also, if you drop the dirt bike in the soft sugar sand, you will bend a radiator and it will start leaking. Ending your day early. I ended up buying the braces after the second time it happened(shame on me) Come on, though I shouldn't have to drop proof a dirt bike. Braces should come standard.

Not really a flaw but why can't bike manufacturers offer different frame sizes. Like mountain bikes do. I could order my mountain bike with my choice of 5 different frame sizes but if I want a dirt bike, I'm stuck with the one made for little guys. I'm 6'5" and lower pegs, higher bars and taller seat don't really cut it. imo. Call it the crf XL.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #324
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by davethegoat View Post
crf450r.....Chain stretch. I've put three different chains on it and they all stretch within 2 hours of adjusting them. It wouldn't be that big of a deal except that the knobbies get chewed off the side of the tire. I now have an o-ring chain and it does it too. I know it takes less than a minute to adjust it but I forgot to bring the torque wrench last ride out and had to call off the rest of the day's ride because of it...
You're running your chain way to tight... Move the swingarm up until all the pivots are in a line. The chain should be slightly loose there.

Non-oring chains stretch allot faster than o-ring specially if not well lubed.

Quote:
Also, if you drop the dirt bike in the soft sugar sand, you will bend a radiator and it will start leaking. Ending your day early. I ended up buying the braces after the second time it happened(shame on me) Come on, though I shouldn't have to drop proof a dirt bike. Braces should come standard.
Welcome to every dirt bike ever. You can either invest in the protection, not crash, or play factory rider and keep a trailer full of spares. The manufactures battle on weight, they aren't going to add weight like that.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #325
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,441
Surging on the 2002 GS.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #326
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 1,985
Having to move the rear shock on a BMW G/S to access the battery.

Just irritates me every time.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #327
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,714
-Wheelbarrow handlebars on BMW's
-Cam chain tentioners losing hydraulic pressure on KTM 950's (clakclakclak)
-Boiling the fuel in traffic on a KTM Adventure (stall/let coolw/caps open)
-Winking low oil pressure light on an LC8 after a spirited thrashing
-Clutch pull of dry clutch Ducati's in traffic (jerkjerkjerk)
-Seat on my KTM 690R (jeeeez)
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:12 AM   #328
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
I work out too much, 215lbs, 42" chest, 32" waist... It's even hard finding riding gear.
Same here, but I'm 213/44/33"/6' tall.
Everything is undersprung. I figure the cost of new suspenders into every long term bike purchase.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #329
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,439
Wiggly frames.
Feeling a bike wallow through a curve or get a frame harmonic because someone couldn't build a decent frame just makes me want to find that project lead and powerf... give them a piece of my mind.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #330
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,474
Pissed

[QUOTE=ozmoses;19989237]Having to move the rear shock on a BMW G/S to access the battery.

Just irritates me every time.[/QUOTE

Really? wtf....
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote