Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #76
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
vStrom 650: the way that the exhaust is routed directly under the engine removing about 1.75 in of very useful ground clearance.

Honda Falcon: The oil cooling system makes it a pain to check the oil and you cannot check the oil when it the bike has been running for any amount of time..
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #77
Suki25
Dirt-driver

Oddometer: 3
Absolutely HATE the way the cables are routed on my husky,. TE 450.

Pretty pathetic. I have cables that have rubbed through themselves, through frame parts, and lastly today I found a spot where the rear brake cable has a twist. Its rubbing through the motor.
Suki25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #78
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
The way my VFR feels like the best bike ever made, except that I can't go on a trip without a rectifier in my pack and how even after a factory recall and an aftermarket charging harness...
Standard quick fix is to take a computer cooling fan and attach it to the finned side of the rectum fryer.
Tap power off the tail light wiring to run it constantly when the bike is running.(assuming your bikes are mandatory lights on at all time like ours here in Oz?)
Keeps the rectifier cool and they stop burning out.

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler

Reryder screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 08:32 PM
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #79
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,397
Crap suspension front and rear on the SV650.
Beautiful vtwin engine. Lovely stiff frame with great handling geometry.
Suspended from a marshmallow pogo stick at each end.
Why, why, why, take a Ducati, make it maintenance free (relatively) and then make it handle like a Harley? Doh!

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #80
Electrojake
Career Neophyte

Oddometer: 68
Fascinating!
There is only one other post here (#46) that mentions the Suzuki DL1000?
That beloved steed has a collection of issues, quirks, and nasty habits that range from 2002 to 2012, bar none.
-Ej-
Old 01-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #81
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
My GS (the suzuki flavor) sends a nice little shock through the rider's right leg above 6000 rpm for no apparent reason if you're hugging the tank and of course it has the ubiquitous stator/rectifier issues.
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #82
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,903
flaws?

I started riding moto powered 2 wheelers 53 years ago this coming spring.
I have found with my years of afflicted involvement, dirt, endless highway, mud bogs and sand traps, riding around a pasture herding bovines,,,one and every,, all ,and each of them 2 wheeled rigs have the same problem.

They do not have the endless fuel supply issue handled to suit my needs!

Consider the reasons you stop when you are riding. I'm sure you have some, but I'll list a few of my reasons to stop riding,,,,,whoa!,pull over,,hold it a minute!

you hafta pee (if you are old like me, this is likely #1)
you stop to air down yer tires.
you and yer buddies stop for lunch.
you stop to take a pic of a beauty scenery scene!
you stop to air up yer tires.
it gets frikken dark, and you head back to camp.

or, (and this is silly)

you run out of gas!

As you can see, all halting issues are valid except the last one,, I mean,, if you gotta stop to pee, then you GOTTA stop or ride with wet shorts!!, but,,there is simply no good reason that a motosickle should ever need fueling, much less RE-fueling!,,, a silly concept, and a poor design, but, that's what you'll get from engineers.
And THAT is what I hate about motorsickles! ALL OF THEM!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #83
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,888
y'all ignored post #55

Buncha whiners. Your regulator/rectifier issues are easily solved by installing a modern MOSFET regulator/rectifier. Cable routing? C'mon, did your bike come with a sticker prohibiting re-routing these cables? A Husqvarna is kind of a kit, isn't it? Exotics always need a little taming, that's why some work better than the run-of-the-mill. Soft/hard suspension is one of the easiest and most satisfying repairs one can undertake. Yes, aftermarket parts are expensive, but I've completely transformed suspension performance with spacers and torched springs. Or, take the easy route and buy a new bike every year. Leave it stock, it makes it better when those of us with imagination and common sense get our hands on it.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #84
KodiakRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
The 2010 c14 from kawasaki. They responded to requests to increase the tank range by adding a pretty much worthless Eco mode. Hey dummies, you know what increases tank range? A bigger tank.

Sprint gt. A touring bike with a seat to peg relationship more cramped than a super sport.
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #85
Commanderkewl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Had an old Maxim. Tank slapper every once in a while. Had to recover seat because of one.

Smoky startup on k series BMWs if you park it on the sidestand.. Kills mosquitoes tho...

Yeh the GS Series bikes with the strip in the fuel tank. Head out and get gas every 100 miles because the thing shows empty... Grrrr...

Starter engagement on the 80s viragos. Wrrrrrrrrrrrrrr clik wrrrrrrrrrrrr clunk.....
2001 BMW K1200LT-24K "Sally"
2004 BMW R1150RT-16K "BluByYu"
2007 BMW R1200GS-1.6K"Hawk"
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.
— Hunter S. Thompson

Commanderkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #86
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderkewl View Post
Had an old Maxim. Tank slapper every once in a while. Had to recover seat because of one.

Smoky startup on k series BMWs if you park it on the sidestand.. Kills mosquitoes tho...

Yeh the GS Series bikes with the strip in the fuel tank. Head out and get gas every 100 miles because the thing shows empty... Grrrr...

Starter engagement on the 80s viragos. Wrrrrrrrrrrrrrr clik wrrrrrrrrrrrr clunk.....
all bmw airheads do that as the sidestands have a very bad lean on them.
my bmw gs tank is fine for about 200-240miles
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #87
blackx70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
And the KLR too. I also wish they came with suspension. The 08+ KLRs at least have brakes, but to get brakes, they had to 50lbs of useless crap. Maybe in 20 more years they will get suspension and EFI, but they will probably have to ad another 100lbs for that stuff.

The one thing I HATE about my first gen KLR (besides no suspension or brakes) is the totally shitty chain adjuster. You have to line up the marks to align the wheel, but the marks don't match. If you line up the marks, the wheel is slightly crooked, which makes deep gravel LOTS of fun.
My ex250 marks are the same. They do not match. I have to eyeball it when I adjust the chain. It has worked for the 37,000 miles that I have owned her.
blackx70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #88
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,341
The herby jerky throttle on the 990 Adventure. Almost entirely corrected by pulling the exhaust baffles, but a gong show til you figure that out.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #89
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
There is only one other post here (#46) that mentions the Suzuki DL1000? That beloved steed has a collection of issues, quirks, and nasty habits that range from 2002 to 2012, bar none.
Perhaps the big DL is otherwise absent because its few quirks are known to have easy fixes.

-Lean map? Power Commander III or V.
-Windscreen buffeting? Madstad bracket. (Or just suck it up. It's a motorcycle. The ride gets breezy from time to time.)
-Clutch chudder? In the early model years, definitely. If not originally attended to under warranty, it can be fixed with a proven clutch basket mod.
-Tall factory gearing? Not a problem for many guys. If so, it's easy peasy to change to 16/43.
-Heavy pull of hydraulic clutch? Now there you have me! There's no known fix for this particular issue.

The Vee is beloved for a reason. You must agree that its favorable reputation would generally serve to disqualify the bike from prolonged discussion on this particular thread.
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #90
southwade OP
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
Perhaps the big DL is otherwise absent because its few quirks are known to have easy fixes.

-Lean map? Power Commander III or V.
-Windscreen buffeting? Madstad bracket. (Or just suck it up. It's a motorcycle. The ride gets breezy from time to time.)
-Clutch chudder? In the early model years, definitely. If not originally attended to under warranty, it can be fixed with a proven clutch basket mod.
-Tall factory gearing? Not a problem for many guys. If so, it's easy peasy to change to 16/43.
-Heavy pull of hydraulic clutch? Now there you have me! There's no known fix for this particular issue.

The Vee is beloved for a reason. You must agree that its favorable reputation would generally serve to disqualify the bike from prolonged discussion on this particular thread.

It still has ghastly headlights.