ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Watercat OP
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,530
We live in BEERVANA - So watcha drinkin, watcha brewin ? ? ? ? ?

Okay, so perhaps I'm a bit of a beer snob, but it just goes with the territory . . . . . . I like tasty beer, not to say I won't drink the garden variety brews here and there.

There are some mighty tasty brews out there and I'll be the first to admit that neither am I an expert, nor have I had the priviledge to sample everthing that PNWet has to offer . . . . .

Some of these suds are brewery only, some may be bottled and available in some stores, or some bottled as limited release, some are home brewed . . . . .

There are websites devoted entirely to home-brewing (Neither been there, nor done that, but I'm temped).

I don't typically buy beer that's $7.00 - $9.00/6pak, and I suppose neither do many of you FFs

Winter finds me imbibing primarily Georgetown Porter; Growlers there are a bargain . . . . . Decent beer, nice price.

Recently found a good sale at the local market on Pike Double IPA combat bottle-1pint6oz. . . . . Good beer, a little pricey.

Also, found PIke's Monk's Uncle was yummy, also on sale - combat bottle. . . . . A little pricey, but worth it if you like Belgian style tripel ale.

Oh, and the Caboose Oatmeal Stout from American Brewing Company(same size bottle) was most excellent . . . . .

Please add on if you feel the urge.

So let's here it beer fans -

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,446
Coors Lite or Miller Lite.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,541
If you hang around with many FF's, you will soon realize that most of us DO buy beer for $7-9 a 6/pack. Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

On the other hand, last week, I bottled 10 gallons of my Extra Pale for the wife, and another 10 gallons of an APA.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Rain errrer beeerrr!

Hey Flashmo i will be over in 3 months to help you drink your supply
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Watercat OP
. . . gravity sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
If you hang around with many FF's, you will soon realize that most of us DO buy beer for $7-9 a 6/pack. Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

On the other hand, last week, I bottled 10 gallons of my Extra Pale for the wife, and another 10 gallons of an APA.
Okay I'll admit to spending $7.00/sixer but for me it's a bit of a splurge . . . . . . .

Uh, dare I say it. I'm a teacher ! ! !

Must be cheaper to home brew . . . . . . . After initial start-up costs -

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
HoyaXC07
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Elysian- Men's Room

My favorite beer. And i can get my gallon growler filled with it. Yum
HoyaXC07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat View Post

Must be cheaper to home brew . . . . . . . After initial start-up costs -
That's what they tell us to sucker us in...

I did have a couple interesting beers this week: Monkfish from Reel Ales, and a Nut Brown from Bitterroot Brewing Co.

bdcorrigan: I doubt it will still be around in 3 months, patience is not one of my virtues...but there will be more beer (gotta start another batch this weekend).
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Watercat OP
. . . gravity sucks

When I really splurge it's going to be Alaskan Smoked Porter. Think I'll save it for the Superbowl.

They only brew it seasonally in the winter. Haven't yet had it this year - $$

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I am fairly partial to Sam Adams offerings, but would love to find a good Berliner Weisse available here.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
crackhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
I moved up here form the true US Beervana (Denver). For some godforsaken reason every hippy-tiedye wearing-organic food eating-yahoo thinks beer has to have 30 times more hops than called for. I swear 80% of the crap they sell up here is garbage.

Sorry rant off. Im currently drinking Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmel Stout (waaay more oatmeal and stout than blueberry) My favorite is 1554 fomo New Belgium, best thing to be put in a bottle hands down, well tied with Sam Adams Octoberfest.

Im with you Windmill, juist about everything Sam Adams puts out os more or less palletable.
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
AVPU
Forever Noob

Oddometer: 175
Pyramid in Seattle has a growler refill special on Monday's. $5 any beer and growler. I have not tried to get a competitors growler filled, but that is what I was told by our waiter.

Georgetown is $6 or $7 depending on the beer. $2 extra to refill a competitors .
AVPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
Rain errrer beeerrr!
Good stuff when you're 19! Recently ripped of by some beer brewing hipsters, heard it on the radio in Bend.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
kitsapian
Miserly Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead View Post
I moved up here form the true US Beervana (Denver). For some godforsaken reason every hippy-tiedye wearing-organic food eating-yahoo thinks beer has to have 30 times more hops than called for. I swear 80% of the crap they sell up here is garbage.
Agreed, I like a hoppy beer but it seems like a lot of NW breweries go overboard and their beers end up tasting the same. Don't have much time for brewing but my last batch was a Chuckanut Brown from NW Brewers Supply in Anacortes. They have good stuff.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Watercat OP
. . . gravity sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPU View Post
Pyramid in Seattle has a growler refill special on Monday's. $5 any beer and growler. I have not tried to get a competitors growler filled, but that is what I was told by our waiter.

Georgetown is $6 or $7 depending on the beer. $2 extra to refill a competitors .
Growler refills are the way to go . . . . . . But I'll also pick up the occasional combat bottle of the yummy suds that are produced farther away.

Fortunately, in this region most of us have a craft brewery somewhere near us or on the way home from work.

Good to know as I'm close to there (Pyramid) ! ! !

Elliott Bay Brewing in West Seattle also has a good deal on growlers on Mondays only, the one in Burien on Tuesdays only. I believe in the $5.50 - $6.50 range. Some nice IPAs there (I like their dry hopped).

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Old 01-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
awshouse
Downwardly mobile

Oddometer: 435
BEEEER. I like it.

Three points:

1. This is special beer that I only get once a week or so. I like super hoppy stuff:

Green Flash
Ninkasi Tricerahops
Racer 5 (Nor Cal brew but damn good)
Stone IPA
Supergoose

I can get them within 2 blocks draft or growler. Stumbling distance.

2. Ranger is my staple beer. I dislike New Belgium otherwise, but this one rocks.

3. Hot day of riding or hanging out in the garage requires some kind of race car beer... Amazing how much of that stuff I can drink when I really focus. :)
awshouse is offline   Reply With Quote