ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
pjturbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Otis!

Phil
pjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
darkshadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Beer Snob number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat View Post
Okay I'll admit to spending $7.00/sixer but for me it's a bit of a splurge . . . . . . .

Uh, dare I say it. I'm a teacher ! ! !-
Man I cant even stomach a beer thats less than 7 bucks a sixer. My splurge is over $10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPU View Post
Pyramid in Seattle has a growler refill special on Monday's. $5 any beer and growler. I have not tried to get a competitors growler filled, but that is what I was told by our waiter.

Georgetown is $6 or $7 depending on the beer. $2 extra to refill a competitors .
$2 to use a competitor's growler....thats bullshit. I've never heard of that. I have filled my Ram Growlers at over ten different brewery's and never have I been charged extra. Georgetown can keep their beer.
Friday and Saturday's 1/2 price fills at the Ram. thats about 4.50 a fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead View Post
I moved up here form the true US Beervana (Denver). For some godforsaken reason every hippy-tiedye wearing-organic food eating-yahoo thinks beer has to have 30 times more hops than called for. I swear 80% of the crap they sell up here is garbage.
your crazy!!!

When I lived in SoCal my favorites were Sam Adams Boston Lager and RedHooks ESB. I moved up here eleven years ago and discovered IPA's. For the past eight years I've been drinking IPA's 90percent of the time. My favorite IPA is new to the Northwest. It comes from Firestone Brewery in California called Union Jack. They have a double version of this called Double Jack which I can't even justify buying at $9 for a 22oz bottle only found at beer specialty stores.

I can't touch domestic piss. That is not what beer is supposed to be.

Watercat has it right. The Northwest is Beervana.

P.S. Sam Adams finally came out with an IPA last spring: Latitude 48 and it is very tasty.

darkshadow screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 10:13 AM
darkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #18
bruceo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I've been on an IPA kick for awhile now. Some of my current local favorites (not bottled) include Black Raven Trickster and Anacortes Brewery IPA.

If bottles are required, then I go to Sierra Nevada Torpedo Double IPA and Ninkasi Total Domination IPA.

bruceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
smrchief
chief

Oddometer: 54
Depends what "is" is....

When I'm hanging out in the everglades micros are too dank so Red Stripe, Michelob or even Miller High Life is the bomb.
When hanging out in our great NW the local microbrews feed my fix. I like the offerings of Walking Man, Laurelwood, Mash Tun to name a few.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
tommybelvedere
Adv alacarte'

Oddometer: 416
Cider Time at my place

Although i don't really care for beer much, i can respect the folks who homebrew it, or carefully select the more "craft brewed" beers. I brew hard cider which was the drink of america pre prohibition. We have a small orchard and source our apples carefully if needed. I really gravitate twards the English dry ciders and try to brew the same in my ciders. It has been recently reported that craft cider is one of the beverages that has had steady demand and increasing sales in this economy. This is very good news in my book. I use alot of vintage and heirloom varieties as well as traditional cider apples to blend into my ciders and most are grown here on our small farm. I know what has gone into my drink and i really like that. This being said i try to brew enough to supply friends and family as well as myself through the warm months of summer. This year was a very good year for us and we managed to ferment 75 gallons of different ciders and 7 gallons of plum wine, which would be the work of my wifey. It is very rewarding and refreshing on a 80 degree day to have a glass or 4 of cider on ice. We will be bottling the last 17 gallons of the late varieties today as this is good to do on a day l;ike today. Thanks Robert for starting a cool thread!!

Cheers to all!!
Tom
Here is a picture of my batch 11 one liter flip top from 2011. It has a very good nose of apple and is going to be very good in 3 months after aging. It is bottle conditioned and will have a good sparkle as well.

tommybelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #21
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPU View Post
Pyramid in Seattle has a growler refill special on Monday's. $5 any beer and growler. I have not tried to get a competitors growler filled, but that is what I was told by our waiter.

Georgetown is $6 or $7 depending on the beer. $2 extra to refill a competitors .
It's been a few months since I've been over to Pyramid but they will fill any growler for 5 bucks on Monday, it's a good deal.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #22
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post
I've been on an IPA kick for awhile now. Some of my current local favorites (not bottled) include Black Raven Trickster and Anacortes Brewery IPA.

If bottles are required, then I go to Sierra Nevada Torpedo Double IPA and Ninkasi Total Domination IPA.

If you get a chance Black Raven is running the Citrus Beak Twister IPA while supplies last, it's worth a trip over.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
Watercat OP
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybelvedere View Post
. . . . . . .
Here is a picture of my batch 11 one liter flip top from 2011. It has a very good nose of apple and is going to be very good in 3 months after aging. It is bottle conditioned and will have a good sparkle as well.

Hiya Tom ! ! !

That looks like a tasty home-brewed cider there ! ! !

For some reason whenever I imbibe cider, that stuff seems to sneak up on me until I'm more than half lip-walking before I know it . . . . .

Must be due to it's great taste and deceptive alc. level ?

What does that run, 11% alc. by volume ?

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #24
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
When I really splurge it's going to be Alaskan Smoked Porter. Think I'll save it for the Superbowl.

They only brew it seasonally in the winter. Haven't yet had it this year - $$
That's some good stuff there. I had a bottle of it two nights ago. I'm an IPA fan but, lately I've been drinking porters. Anacortes and Flyers are my two locals. Anchor and Sierra Nevada are the Ca imports I have enjoyed recently.

I have also been drinking Old Chub Scotch Ale. It comes in a can imported from Colorado's Oskar Blues brewing.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #25
tommybelvedere
Adv alacarte'

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Hiya Tom ! ! !

That looks like a tasty home-brewed cider there ! ! !

For some reason whenever I imbibe cider, that stuff seems to sneak up on me until I'm more than half lip-walking before I know it . . . . .

Must be due to it's great taste and deceptive alc. level ?

What does that run, 11% alc. by volume ?

Mine runs about 10-12%ABV it really varies depending on the sugar content in the apple type/types you are using. It will also depend on how much sugar you add to feed the yeasties!! It will really sneak up on you on a warm summer day. That particular batch has a blend of manchurian crab apples, a small green wilding apple that i got from an old tree, and mostly gravenstine apples for the natural sugars and great appley flavor. I was tasting some during bottling and it is gonna be great,it has all the markings of being great!!
Tom
tommybelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #26
gplutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I have a homebrewed pale ale and porter on tap right now, and I got an Angram beer engine for christmas that I can't wait to get hooked up! I wanted to brew this weekend, but the weather had other ideas.

Which one of you guys cleared the Hopworks IPA out of Madison Market, by the way?! Man....
gplutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #27
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,495
Don't get out much to brewpubs but at home I have been stocking Sessions
larger , dark larger and Fest a seasonal slightly more hoppy beer.
Tork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Firestone? Not tires, BEER

Like a lot of folks on here, I'm burnt out on over the top "5 kinds of HOP, poured over fresh hops" basically overdone IPA's and such.

Lately, I've been into the beers from Firestone-Walker brewing in Paso Robles, CA. Their DBA "Double Barrel Ale" is like a super fresh tasting English style ale...with a refreshing West Coast micro flavor. Their "Velvet Merlin" is pretty unique as well...and packs a punch.

More locally, I'd have to say Heater Allen in McMinnville, Oregon is definitely worth checking out..

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Watercat OP
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonroy View Post
. . . . . . .(Agreed, too hoppy can be sucky)

Lately, I've been into the beers from Firestone-Walker brewing in Paso Robles, CA. Their DBA "Double Barrel Ale" is like a super fresh tasting English style ale...with a refreshing West Coast micro flavor. Their "Velvet Merlin" is pretty unique as well...and packs a punch.

"More locally, I'd have to say Heater Allen in McMinnville, Oregon is definitely worth checking out."
Never seen it (Heater Alien) up here, but would like to try it . . . . . . . . anyone (Seattle area ?) . . . . . ?

Ummm, yes have tasted only the IPA from Firestone . . . . .Satisfying.

Anyone up this way (Seattle area) know where these fine CA beers(DBA,or Velvet Merlin)may reside (bar, Tav.) or ? ? ?

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #30
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Never seen it (Heater Alien) up here, but would like to try it . . . . . . . . anyone (Seattle area ?) . . . . . ?

Ummm, yes have tasted only the IPA from Firestone . . . . .Satisfying.

Anyone up this way (Seattle area) know where these fine CA beers(DBA,or Velvet Merlin)may reside (bar, Tav.) or ? ? ?
Not sure about finding Heater Allen in the Seattle area, but I did see various Firestone Walker beers at the Ballard Market over the Thanksgiving holiday. Their website has a "Firestone Finder" feature that appears to list both retailers and pubs. Not sure if it's better/more accurate than the smartphone "tapfinder" app.

cheers from PDX,

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote