ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
Dragon Rider
Thought is free--WS

Oddometer: 226
I'm short of inseam, and have a bad back so my criteria were; 1) does not require a step ladder, 2) I can pick it up.
I had a drz 400 sm, and got used to stepping up on the peg, then swinging my leg over, also hard for me to pick up.
and I've saved my self a few times on the sherpa by quickly getting a foot down while she is sliding out, I've also gotten up a few muddy hills by being able to stand up over the bike and run while the bike is just able to get traction for itself.

Some where on this site is a list of dual sports by weight, I found that very helpful.

I ended up with a supersherpa (air cooled, indestructible, low powered 250)

tanks size is an issue (2.4g) some have fitted after market tanks from other bikes.

I went a different rout (now 4.4g, at 60+mpg = 264 range) and if I only need one extra gallon, I only bring one.

Dragon Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,344
Which one?..................all of'em are good bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdbikes View Post
I guess i need to go sit on some to get a fitting..
Do this and take a few for spin...................look at yourself in the mirror after each ride.................then buy the one that put the biggest smile on your face

I have a new to me DRZ400 with a pumper carb that puts a big grin on my face...................if your in the area your welcome to take it for a spin.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
sourdough
vintage rider

Oddometer: 60
You made a great choice. The little Sherpa's are fun bikes and I enjoyed mine. Yahoo has a good group of rider support. Only replaced mine it because the suspension and power wasn't up to handling my 220 lbs. I now have a DRZ400s. It's motor and suspension work for me, but its heavier and taller than I'd like. Wish KTM imported the Freeride. But then it costs $$$$$$ I guess I'm hard to please
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
Dragon Rider
Thought is free--WS

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You made a great choice. The little Sherpa's are fun bikes and I enjoyed mine. Yahoo has a good group of rider support. Only replaced mine it because the suspension and power wasn't up to handling my 220 lbs. I now have a DRZ400s. It's motor and suspension work for me, but its heavier and taller than I'd like. Wish KTM imported the Freeride. But then it costs $$$$$$ I guess I'm hard to please

yea, I don't do jumps on it with my fat ass, but I'm really more into getting out and enjoying the scenery.

When it is time to change the fork oil, I plan to put some spacers in there, and/or maybe progressive springs to tighten up the front.

The yahoo group is great, I got one of the last Dr J's jet kits, which really helps with the cold starts, but did hurt the mpg.

Also great files I used when I put a new clutch in the bike. I did get it from the first owner, but a lot of people learned to ride on it. And someone may have put synthetic oil it it.

but for $100 its got a new heavy duty clutch.
Dragon Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
wsdbikes OP
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
all of em!
I like the power for the DRZ400 but, a sub 300lb bike is also appealing. I had one of the early Yamaha 425 (kick) years ago and did like it a bunch. the WR is kind of pricy though and pretty tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
Which one?..................all of'em are good bikes

Do this and take a few for spin...................look at yourself in the mirror after each ride.................then buy the one that put the biggest smile on your face

I have a new to me DRZ400 with a pumper carb that puts a big grin on my face...................if your in the area your welcome to take it for a spin.

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
wsdbikes OP
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
x-challenge..
I'd be happy to keep it in my garage for you!

I think it would be way to tall for me though

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdbikes View Post
Thanks for the comments. the DRZ400 has been a consideration for some time but, I never pulled the trigger. a 250 is appealing for the weight but, the little KLR250 I had was not much hauling my fat ass on the road. about 65 wound up. i would guess the WR and the KLX both are better power than that though.

I guess i need to go sit on some to get a fitting..
KLR250 has quite a bit more top end than XT225 so it may be quicker than XT250. You might look into the XT350 and get good with the kicker.

WR250R retains high value and is taller and right at 300 lbs. DRZ400 is a great bike but perhaps too big? Even though these small bikes can only do 65mph you hafta reason with yourself. Exactly how many of these "high speed" runs do you expect to ride? If few then any of these are great. If many then you need the DRZ or WRR.
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Check out a DR350. Lighter than a DRZ, air cooled, 6 speed, and electric start from '94 up. Pretty much bulletproof too.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
check out a dr350. Lighter than a drz, air cooled, 6 speed, and electric start from '94 up. Pretty much bulletproof too.
+1. Believe street model is DR350SE.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,324
The KLX 250S, '09 and newere has a few upgrades,
6 speed tranny, with a 13 tooth counter sprocket
I can haul at 70MPH @7,000 RPM.

Tom Edison screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 05:58 PM
Tom Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,228
am I the ONLY one (besides Shrub) that suggested a bike that I don't own?

since you can plate anything, most of the bikes mentioned don't make sense if you want LIGHT weight bike.

n16ht5 screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 01:34 PM
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #27
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
am I the ONLY one that suggested a bike that I don't own?
No, you're not the only one.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #28
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,480
I have three lowered dual sport bikes you can come ride around the block[or two]. Ascending tonnage KTM 520 EXC, KLX 351s and a DRZ 400. The KTM and KLX are pert close in lbs. I'm 178 lbs with a 28" inseam I haven't dropped the DRZ[yet] but have picked up the other two a few times.

turnsleft screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 02:04 PM
turnsleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #29
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
No, you're not the only one.
woops, sorry... fixed it

seriously... DRZ400s, WR250Rs, etc... are tanks of bikes, go through anything like a machine... but are a bit heavy for a dedicated trail bike.
XT225/250 is outdated. better off with a XR250/400 if you want AC
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #30
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
I'll tell you

I'll tell you which bike you should by but first you must agree to buy the bike I suggest and live with it for at least a year.

Just kidding Pick a bike you're passionate about, everything else can be modified.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote