User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
GLRRA47 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Whine?

I installed a Rottweiler intake sys. & exhst. cans on my 2007 990 ADV. SAS and evaporative can = removed. (New tune installed from Rottweiler site & SAS turned off in ecm) Bike is running great. I left the valve for the evap. can left plugged-in and mounted behind the steering head to avoid an error if removed. Without the air box in place - there are of course more engine noises - as expected. My question - I hear a high-pitched whine at approx. 3K rpm when on deceleration - if the throttle is held there, it will continue to sound for a bit. I wonder - is this the evap. valve cycling or possibly something else unnecessary that can be removed / disabled? I remember seeing a post somewhere about replacing the evap valve with a resistor, but not sure where - or if this is where the whine is coming from. It's not terribly annoying - but makes me wonder...
GLRRA47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
Something like this?

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
GLRRA47 OP
Adventurer

I think I have heard that sound, but this is different - continues rather than pulsating. I never heard it before removing the SAS and disconnecting all hoses from the canister valve.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 425
I thought this was going to be another thread about 1190 problems
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,790
In the beginning sounds like caused by vibration.

Like something vibrates and rubs, metal to metal. After a while it gets continuous... thing do expand with heat and also plastics expand even more. My rear plastic covers expand and touch my luggage racks when the bike has worked for some time.
I would loo for a metal part touching metal, outside the motor.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #6
GLRRA47 OP
Adventurer

I know what you're saying about parts rubbing / moving. Happens all the time. This high pitched whine - I never noticed before removal of the airbox and SAS. (Of course more engine and intakes sounds now, but this seems different and very specific. Since the valve for the evap. canister is still connected to power, but no hoses, I wondered if any others who had done that mod. and or then removed the valve experienced the same noise. I'll probably just research what resistor is need to pull the valve and try it.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
motogearhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
My bike has the same whine as DirtyAdv's after the Rottweiler install. Only lasts for short duration after start-up when cold. I made a home-made stethoscope and started the diagnosis. I wasn't able to pinpoint it before it stopped...but it wasn't the crankcase breather. I did find an exhaust leak (small groove in one of the 2 into 1 collector pipes) so I disassembled the works and sealed it up with high temp silicone. 24 hours later...still whining. So yesterday, I took the entire intake apart thinking maybe an intake boot was leaking. I spent a lot of time inspecting and greasing inside of both boots so each installed and easily rotated after mounting insuring everything was in-place and where it needed to be. Tightened all 4 clamps and even greased the top 2 seals under the rottweiler plate. Checked both screws I added to the intakes when I removed the Canister. Buttoned everything up...still whining. Went for a 50 mile ride...no whine after warm up or during the ride.

Oh yea...the Rottweiler intake is awesome!!!!

Started it cold this morning and the whine lasted during the cold start-up transition while the RPM is higher until it settled to normal idle. I'm thinking it may be just a characteristic related the FI cold start circuit. Maybe something to do with the FI pressure sensors? I'm not as worried as I was 2 days ago.

Thoughts?
motogearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
NoFive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogearhead View Post
My bike has the same whine as DirtyAdv's after the Rottweiler install. Only lasts for short duration after start-up when cold. ....no whine after warm up or during the ride.
Same here, on a 2012 Adventure R with stock exhaust.

I removed the canister & SAS, installed the Rottweiler intake and downloaded the "09-13_ADV_990__2_into_1__Rottweiler_Intake__See_Map_I nfos_.hex" map from the Rottweiler website. At first, I figured the whine was always there but couldn't hear it through the stock airbox.

A few tanks of gas later, I noticed my MPG dropped by about 10. So I started playing around with the tune and tried the stock map with +5% on the fuel tables and +5 on the 2nd throttle values (just to see what affect they have). I haven't been on the bike much since then, but I didn't hear the whine when I went on a test ride. Bike was cold when I fired it up.

Turning the O2 off didn't change the whine, but maybe the fuel tables do. Or maybe the 2nd butterflies.
NoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Sometimes having a high frequency hearing loss is bliss :)
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
GLRRA47 OP
Adventurer

Did some searches and used key word "whistle" instead of whine. Turns out there are threads out there about this. (Or at least what sound like the same) Everything from resonating in the throttle body - which sounds reasonable to me to those have removed the butterflies and are getting whistling across holes in the butter fly shafts. In any case, I think I'm hearing something that was always there before the air box removal. This afternoon - I head faint chirping like the video posted earlier in this thread. I'm leaning towards - "don't worry about it unless it bangs or clunks!"
Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
ChrisParker
Banned

Oddometer: 19
Whistle

The whistle you hear is air moving across the butterflies when they are closed. Kind of like blowing across the top of a beer bottle. Some bikes do it, some don't. Part of the reason it happens and then goes away is that the idler is just in the perfect position and once the bike warms up it changes position and goes away. A minute change in the throttle and it goes away. I have never heard a bike with the butterflies removed do it. It is nothing dangerous or new. It was always there, you just couldn't hear it with all the stock airbox around it. for some reason my bikes have never done it but doing a couple installs here and there I have heard it. It's harmless and goes away most of the time for some reason.

I am a big believer in removing the flies. Kevxtx has done extensive dyno runs without them and has found power everywhere when mapped with them out. (Your map should be with or without the flies to be proper but you can run without them to try the effects) KTM would get into allot of trouble releasing a bike without some sort of "mellowing" management because without them the bike is a pissed off beast, but fun. Not really something for the masses, just more advanced riders. Chances of flame-out when whacking the throttle is a bit higher but not common. Un-managed big twins can be a handful and the new 1190 is fly-by-wire so there is even more management. That bike is mega smooth in comparison. Secondary throttle plates are kind of a pseudo fly-by-wire.
ChrisParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
My 990R does the whistle as well, but goes away when warm.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
GLRRA47 OP
Adventurer

Thanks everyone - pretty much like I figured too. Maybe I'll pull the secondary flies out, but for now - IT'S RIDING SEASON! And time to play with my new Rottweiler intake and exhaust!