Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #61
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 812
Rigid also has the single row setup if theres ever a height issue. The Single row puts out slightly less light that the older double rows.

Is that a large spike on your fender or are you happy to see me?
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #62
LAYNFRM OP
slightly tarded

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo996 View Post
Nice job there, LAYNFRM! That project is on my to do list. I had thought that the double-row lamp would be too thick to work with the high fender, but you got it in there. Please PM me with project pics if you have time.

Thanks,
Alpo

i had to grind about 1/4" off the outside of each of the supplied rigid mounts, then hose clamped them to the 1ish inch aluminum tube that is part of the headlight/guage cluster mounting setup. hose clamps held the same light through the Baja 500 for me, so i think it'll hold on here, lol.

i posted all the pics i took. the whole thing was really straightforward. just measure the width the bar takes up and cut it out of the lower grille. then i pulled the side fairings off for easier access to get it all straightened out and wired up. the horn had to be turned sideways, but the wires still reached. i'll take some pics next time i pull the front end apart.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #63
LAYNFRM OP
slightly tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
Rigid also has the single row setup if theres ever a height issue. The Single row puts out slightly less light that the older double rows.

Is that a large spike on your fender or are you happy to see me?
right you are! could fit two rigid D2's and have em spread sideways if you'd rather that too, but you'd have to make mounts.

yeah, that's two 2-3/4" spikes on the fender. it came off this when i sold it.....

94 CR500 motor in a 2005 cr250 frame i built. top notch everything i could use. had the Rigid bars on it right after this pic was taken. the header sure rusted quick here in LA though!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #64
LAYNFRM OP
slightly tarded

got one of the correct style connectors yesterday, and made a wiring harness today. i'm gonna run a different power wire to the battery vs the one i already had ran from another set of lights, but this will work fine for now. i'll get some closer pictures when i pull the fairings off again, which shouldn't be too long since i need to swap the points on my fuel pump soon.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #65
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydlo View Post
Any updates on your progress? Did you get the kit or just order the projectors?
Ok, I got the right HID bulb and everything is working as it should now, and I went for a little ride in the twisties at 10 PM last night.

The good:
Great light
wide spread
sharp cutoff
really effective high beam

The bad:
sharp cutoff.

I can't decide if this is a good light for a motorcycle or not. It works as advertised, no question about that. But the sharp cutoff leaves a lot of darkness when you're leaned over. I should mention that this was a very twisty road- corners posted at 15 mph, and a road that I wouldn't get much over 35 mph riding in daylight.

Even with the high beam on, there's just not enough light scatter up and to the sides to see very far around corners. On the plus side, the visibility going in a relatively straight line with the high beam on is way more than I had before, with a 60 watt bulb in the stock reflector, and 2 HID fog lights on.

Also: I can just adjust the beam high enough before the projector lens touches the plexi headlight shield. I may have to make some internal modification to fix that. It might be better for others, I have a 19" front wheel on at the moment, and that drops the front a bit.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #66
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
I went for a little ride in the twisties at 10 PM last night.

Sleepless are we ?, ahmm

Is it actually better then having the Euro reflector with HID ?

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #67
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
Sleepless are we ?, ahmm

Is it actually better then having the Euro reflector with HID ?
I don't know. It puts more light on the ground in a straight line, but I'm thinking that maybe the euro light gives a better amount of stray light. We'll have to compare, I guess.

This light + some driving lights would probably be great, but I was hoping to not have any lights dangling around waiting to break off in a crash (not that that would ever happen to me. . . .)

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #68
mydlo
Yup.

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
The good:
Great light
wide spread
sharp cutoff
really effective high beam

The bad:
sharp cutoff.
Thanks for the update! The sharp cutoff is something I'm definitely worried about as well and I was hoping the high beam would help to distribute the light when cornering. Hmm...
2001 GasGas TXT280
mydlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #69
mydlo
Yup.

I guess I should also update about my progress:

I got the H1 light on Thursday, but only got a 35W bulb and ballast (instead of the 50W I paid for) and I somehow managed to order an H7 harness (d'oh!). As a result, I spent a few minutes on the phone with TRS (very professional) and we're going to get everything exchanged for an H4 harness, 50W bulb and ballast, and the D2S projector. Why D2S now? Well, after talking to Nate at TRS he said the D2S housing is only SLIGHTLY larger than the H1 projector (like 1/4") and they recommend the D2S for H4 swaps (reason they recommended the H1 was because, although it is smaller it isn't THAT much smaller, is because the H1 is easier to install in an H7 housing - which they thought I had based on my harness selection).

When I asked Nate at TRS about the difference between the H1 and D2S lights, he commented that the H1 has a slightly wider beam spread than the D2S, but the D2S has a better high beam - along with some other minor light-geek specifics (something about cutoff and flicker). We'll have to compare the H1 to the D2S when I get mine and install it. Hopefully in the next couple weekends!

Regarding the parts that I did receive, they were of very good quality and the harness was very impressive. It is designed to simply plug into the stock harness (with a direct wire to the battery) and into the HID ballast. Very nicely done, but I don't think I'm going to use everything...I'll probably cut it down to make it smaller and fit the bike appropriately.

I would recommend TRS to anyone who is thinking about getting these projectors as they are very professional and knowledgeable either through email or over the phone.
2001 GasGas TXT280
Old 02-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #70
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Good info. Maybe I'll try to take some beam pictures at some point. Not sure how useful that would be, it's hard to get a sense of how it looks when you're riding. I've got a 35w in mine, and it doesn't seem to be lacking light- but I don't see much downside to a 50.
Good luck with the install, let us know how it goes.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #71
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYNFRM View Post
right you are! could fit two rigid D2's and have em spread sideways if you'd rather that too, but you'd have to make mounts.

yeah, that's two 2-3/4" spikes on the fender. it came off this when i sold it.....

94 CR500 motor in a 2005 cr250 frame i built. top notch everything i could use. had the Rigid bars on it right after this pic was taken. the header sure rusted quick here in LA though!
Punk rocked out! And I love the shop. Since were momentarally living in an apartment I have to use my toyhauler for my shop. It works out during the winter since it has a nice propane heater and lights.
1978 Batavus 48
Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #72
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 964
Any updates?

Beam pix, install pix?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #73
mydlo
Yup.

I actually just got my bike buttoned up enough to go for a test ride tonight. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the light output from the 50W D2S projector. I need to play with the aiming a bit to see if I can get more throw without blinding oncoming traffic because this light is BRIGHT! The low beam has a very nice wide spread and the high beam has good throw. I was only able to ride around the neighborhood, but I think I'm going to be very happy with my new light.

I'll try and get some night pics in the next couple of days before I head out of town.

BTW... to fit the D2S projector in the US headlight, I had to trim the H4 bulb housing with a die grinder. (The bulb opening was too small - on my Concours the bulb opening looks much bigger, weird.)
2001 GasGas TXT280
Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #74
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

This thread is usless without pics

For all we know you could be making this whole thing up
1978 Batavus 48
Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #75
mydlo
Yup.

Rode around a bit more this evening with the new light and I'm still very happy with the performance. Aimed the light up higher and it really helped the throw; there is light a good distance while still being just low enough to not blind oncoming traffic.

One thing I did notice is the light cutoff will visibly flicker on road signs while riding past; not really annoying, but an observation nonetheless.

I took some pictures and, as usual, the camera doesn't do the light output justice. I'm sitting on the right side of the road and on a slight hill so I'm angled upwards just a touch.

No lights on. (Control)

Parking light. (Stock 5W bulb in US housing)

HID Low beam. (50W Morimoto in D2S Projector)

HID High beam. (HID Low beam + no cutoff shield = High Beam)

The high beam is pretty good for distance, but doesn't add much to the peripheral light available. However, the low beam does a very nice job of lighting up the sides of the road. While leaning over into a turn, you can lose a bit of light because of the sharp cutoff (same as what slackmeyer mentioned earlier), but I found keeping a finger on the flash to pass button for quick bursts of light solved this issue for me.

I found myself chuckling while riding through a forest preserve tonight because I was actually able to see past the edge of the road and into the trees!
2001 GasGas TXT280