Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #136
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby
Hell for Leather has a feature on the Victory Judge....

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/

Pretty humorous, doubtful if Polaris ever gives them another bike to demo.

cheers,
melby
Gave up on them once they went subscription.

They started turning into real d-bags once the NY based guy got out to LA. I dropped them when they put out a story sucking Jay Leno's balls via that guy from Confederate bikes, JT Nesbit. A hack blowharding about a hack on a site with spoiled slackers in skinny jeans.

Anyway, the sad thing about the Judge is it is just the Vegas frame. The forks go back to the old TC/SC I believe and that is where 16inch rims got their start on Vics. The seat is SO low when you actually see someone on the bike as a reference. I did my Kingpin up like this bike is set up. I put a whole Hammer front end/wheel/discs on and a Vegas rear fender. I just wished it had a taller seat as I'm 6'3 with 34" inseam. If you're tall this bike is gonna be too small for you. I would like to know if the tank/fender/seat swap over to the Vegas/Kingpins.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #137
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I rode a Judge in Daytona during Bike Week and really liked it, especially for a cruiser. I didn't have any problems scraping pegs in the short ride I had. Sometimes I wonder if the folks having those issues don't lean into the turn which allows the bike to be more upright and have fewer peg scraping issues.

I also road a Vaquero though and scraped the boards on that thing just making a normal turn slow speed turn.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #138
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
First Victory I've liked in some time. But 660# Dry? Jeesus.... I never thought anyone would build a mid control muscle bike/cruiser that would make the XR1200 seem light, but it appears that is exactly what Victory has done.
And I hear it has terribly limiting lean angles and not enough rear suspension travel. She looks good, but if I can't turn sharp and have decent bump absorption, I'm not interested. They need to do better than Harley in this regard if they really want to take off. g-
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #139
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I really think Victory is missing a big market here.

The Judge SHOULD have been a lighter, mid sized cruiser.....think competitor to the HD 883 Sportster. All the Vics have that monster 106ci.

The Judge would have made more since to me as an 800cc mid sized bike.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #140
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
If it was an 800cc mid sized bike it would need a different name. I just can't see the Judge name fitting on a mid size bike.

The bike did ride a bit harshly over road imperfections, but I had a blast riding it. I was smiling the whole time.

DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #141
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
If it was an 800cc bike it would require a whole new powertrain and I can't see Polaris funding that. Harley doesn't sell any 800cc bikes, and while they sell a fair number of Sportsters, that's not where they make their money.

It seems like a fairly easy decision to sell into a well established and profitable market with a bike that didn't take a whole lot of development. I'm sure it's not just a parts bin special, but it's not new from the ground up either. Compare that with the risk to develop an all new bike for a less profitable unknown market and it's easy to take the path of least resistance and go with the safe option.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #142
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 464
That is part of why I no longer have a Vic and no longer belong to the main website THEVMC.com. Vic is just spinning in place. They are (to me) doing an old GM thing; watch the customizers, fiddle f*** away a few years mimicking said customizers in the R&D department and then releasing their version just as whatever fad it is that they spent those years working on is fading away leaving them with a ton of inventory of bikes that looked cool the day before they were released.
I am happy they found a new use for the Vegas platform via new tins and rehashed suspension parts but it is all the same thing, Harley chasing.
They bought Indian and plan on doing what with it? Selling $25000 cruisers? They have talked about Indian as their 'Premier" bike division but if it only offers cruisers then it isn't a division, it's a model just like Star is for Yamaha. The Vmax was still the Vmax even after it became the Star Vmax and I have yet to go to a "Star" dealership because they all happen to be Yamaha ones.
Polaris, decide what you want the brand to be, then decide what you want Indian to be, then look at them and ask yourself "are both of our brands going after HD?" If so you need to rethink your brands. New tins and a lower seat and shock don't make for lifelong customers and the piss-poor dealer network makes guys like me sweat on cross country rides. Pulling a $15000+ bike into a glorified lawn mower dealership (as all of the dealers I've seen open up in NY in the past 2 years seem to be) hoping for that friggin voltage regulator that goes bad on every Vic I've known of to be in stock (it never is) doesn't do much for me. I've never owned a HD but were I to get another cruiser it would be one just because I've been on the side of the road in nowhere praying for that Victory Dealer Only (no plain old Polaris dealers allowed to order them) part or correct size tire nobody keeps in stock. (it would be a Dyna like the FXDX Dyna Sport)

BUT, while I did have my Vic I enjoyed the hell out of it. A new rear shock and the quest for a decent seat were the 2 big issues I had left to deal with but the bike took me through 1/2 the states in the US over a couple years with only those couple problems.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #143
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
If it was an 800cc mid sized bike it would need a different name. I just can't see the Judge name fitting on a mid size bike.
.......The Mediator........yeah, it looses a bit of zest.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #144
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I rode a Judge in Daytona during Bike Week and really liked it, especially for a cruiser. I didn't have any problems scraping pegs in the short ride I had. Sometimes I wonder if the folks having those issues don't lean into the turn which allows the bike to be more upright and have fewer peg scraping issues.

I also road a Vaquero though and scraped the boards on that thing just making a normal turn slow speed turn.
I have a HD FXDX and this Victory Judge is starting to appeal to me.

I think the key to getting a cruiser to corner well is setting the suspension sag properly, and minimizing lean angles by using more body english. If a cruiser bike had high enough ground clearance to avoid scraping pegs the seat height would be extremely tall. Then everyone would complain about that also.

I could scrape the pegs on my GSXR 1000 if I rode it incorrectly at warp speeds. There is a reason the fast guys hang off the bikes. Its to minimize the lean angle, and the same applies to cruisers albeit at much slower speeds.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #145
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
I finally saw one of these in person today. I did not like it at all in the pictures, but IMO now pictures don't do it justice. REALLY like it in real life. The 16s front and rear look just right, and the narrow rear tire and accompanying narrow rear frame emphasize the size of the motor. The tail light looks less like a Kawi ripoff in person. The stance is just right. I'll admit up front to being a big Victory fan, but even allowing for that, I think this is now my favorite cruiser.
If I thought it could match my Rocket Roadster's versatility, I'd have it. Still might, even if at 6'7" I dwarf it.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote