Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Tagged Dirt Bike to Dualsport or Adventure Bike?

Who has converted over the years from riding mainly dirtbikes (or dirtbikes with Tags) to riding mainly Adventure bikes or true dual sport bikes?

Tell me about your transition, evolution and reasons why.

Thanks!

mikem9 screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 05:26 PM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,042
Injuries mostly. Rode enduro's, MX, SX back in the day. I still keep a dirt bike for fun and giggles, but the bike I mostly ride is the 950A.

The transition was back in '01, just got back from a ride to Brazil on a XR600, 3 month's living off the bike. ADV riding was better for me as I dictate the schedule I ride, not race date's, or start times.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.

Tha Rick screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 01:00 PM
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,305
I don't know if I qualify as a serious dirt rider, since I didn't race. I did start on dirt bikes, though.

My transition was gradual. Starting with 2-stroke dirt bikes, I eventually got a 250 cc 2-stroke that had lights and a place for a license plate. Although I didn't register it, I did ride it on and off road (and bike paths ). That eventually lead to a legal XL185 cc 4-stroke dual sport, since I wanted to access trails without having to load the bike in a truck. My first "adventure" bike was actually an XL600R dual sport with all my stuff tied on. I rode that thing all over the state, as well as single track trails. I am currently up to a 750 supermoto, partially converted to an adventure bike. The small fuel tank is my most limiting factor at this point, and it is a bit heavy for serious dirt.

My next bike will probably be a true adventure bike, such as a Tiger 800XC or whatever they have when I'm ready for my next ride. I don't see myself ever getting a giant adventure bike like a BMW GS or KTM 990 Adventure. For my uses, they are just too big and heavy. I'm still a dirt biker at heart.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
I'm an off road rider first but I'm getting older, tired of trailering to a place to ride, like motorcycle camping, it's really nice to ride 1000 mile weekend and then get up monday morning without feeling like I've been in a car wreck.
Also it's nice to not tear up so much stuff.
Still keeping my dirt bike, 2 more years and I hope to ride an enduro in the 60 yr old class.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 771
If you are not a small guy and can really handle a big bike try a plated xr650r, if you re smaller perhaps a wr450 or one of those orange things(though I have been forced to race a few and never liked em much except the 300 2 stroke which is no adv bike).
now I adv ride/motox/enduro/ supermoto a 200cc china bike and am happier than ever
Mike
ps. its not the bike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

I love riding a dirt bike or dirt oriented dualsport off road - singletrack etc. It really feels like surfing the mountains sometimes. Enjoy just flowing and also clearing tough hills or sections. I'm sure many of you share the same enjoyment. I've tried to slow it down some and just enjoy the journey of the day on my dirt bike more.

But, the things that break on the bikes, maintenance requirements, loading, unloading, a few injuries each year even when taking it easier etc, have me thinking more about true dual sport or adventure riding.

Just wonder if you guys that love dirt have converted to really loving adventure riding?

Thanks! Good riding all!

PS - I have a tagged EXC400 as my dirt bike and a Suzuki Bandit 1200 as my street bike. Enjoy them both.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

"Just wonder if you guys that love dirt have converted to really loving adventure riding?"

I wont say "converted" because I'm not ready to give up the single track and true trail riding. Your first sentence in the above post describes my dirt riding enjoyment accurately.
However...........
I've found that the adv type riding has been edging out the off road only stuff over the years. I really enjoy loading up the camping gear on the bike and heading out with only a general idea of where I'm going or where I'll spend the night. A combination of twisty mountain blacktop and gravel/dirt roads is a great way to spend a few days. I often go alone, I'm self employed and my opportunities to go happen when they happen. Lots of time at the spur of the moment.
I'm not drawing a line in the sand and saying I'm through with off road and am declaring myself an adv rider, I'm fortunate enough to be able to own a couple of bikes and I just do whatever type of riding appeals to me at the time. Just gonna let it evolve naturally.

You could add a klr or something to your stable and give it a try, or trade the bandit or hell, slap some TKC's on that bad boy and give er hell.
Dunno if this rambling helps, have fun.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Thanks for the replies. Dirtyoldman - how do you like the Terra for dual sporting/adventure riding?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Laugh The most important question.

If one buys a full-size adventure bike, will they want to commit suicide if it falls over? If no, good to go. If yes, DS.

tapdiggy screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 06:56 PM Reason: added title
tapdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Dirtyoldman - how do you like the Terra for dual sporting/adventure riding?
Really well. I like it better than I thought I would even. In use, I find it is about dead center between my old VStrom 1000 and my 640 adv.
Took a 3 day camping trip on it a few weeks ago and kept up with my 2 friends on the highway just fine each on r1100 bmws. Then just last weekend I did 4 days in Arkansas mostly on gravel, eats gravel roads up.
It's not a single track bike, in my hands at least, but I still have a dirt bike for that.
I've dropped it a half dozen times or so and I estimate it is 25% easier to pick back up than the DL 1000 was.
Your 400 with a plate, now that's a keeper right there. RFS ?
Love my 250, have a 300 kit for it ready to go, if I pull some shenanigans with a titled frame I have, a plate may be possible.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,415
Not much to tell, really. I started out with a trials bike mostly because my friends rode them, they were easy to learn on and you can have a lot of fun in a relatively small area.

After a while, the ride to/from our "playground" turned into a crap shoot since it was on city streets (and we had no licenses or tags/titles). Getting street-legal seemed like the next logical step as was a dual sport since it could do similar things to the trials bike but was legal and could go farther and do more. Trials is still a lot of fun.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
I am going the other way. I bought the 640E to have better dirt bike than Japanese dual sports. After rediscovering how much fun it is to haul ass offroad without getting spit off I bought a plated 200 two stroke race bike. Now I am considering ditching the 640 for a plated 450.

I just don't have time for all weekend adventure riding anymore. Plus street riding around here flat out sucks. It is all freeway and packed urban streets. So I am looking for thrills from shorter, more intense mostly offroad riding packed into whatever little time I can manage.