Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #256
DataDaddy
@ the new dad thing

Oddometer: 7,557
Civility Reminder

As a simple civility reminder --

The name calling is getting a bit heavy here.

Please attack the ideas and not the person. When you attack the person, it only suggests a weakness in your argument.

Thanks

oh, that's really good -- AceRph, Alcan06
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #257
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDaddy View Post
As a simple civility reminder --

The name calling is getting a bit heavy here.

Please attack the ideas and not the person. When you attack the person, it only suggests a weakness in your argument.

Thanks
This.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #258
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,207
Not for sale in the US?

Looked at a video of the bike, looks like a hoot to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #259
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
....I was also looking on the ktm web site, and cant seem to be able to figure out what bikes are street legal.......
The dispacement numbers vary over the last couple of model years. But the EXC 450 and 530 have been street legal for several years. The new EXC 350 and EXC 500 are also street legal plus the EXC 450. That is why they have model year designations on the web site. And, of course, the 690 Enduro R.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #260
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Dave View Post

Moneybags, warranty, what the fu*k are you guys smoking? I got that EXC used for around 2K and ride the $hit out of it. I have snowmobiler’s solute me.

I can ride my EXC450 on the road, can you on the WR?

Noob,Plain and simple …………………you’re a fu8king idiot.
in Australia all these bikes are street legal.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #261
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Now that is a monster commute. About 4k a month? 48k a year? Also about 5 hours driving a day. Don't think I could do that after a 9 hour shift at work.
Oh and hope you have a good stereo for all that driving time
about 60k a year for the last 12 years on whatever commuter I have at the time although lately I've been able to do work from home a day or two a week (although on weekends I do any driving in my wife's car too)
Current commuter is a 2011 Golf TDI so at near 50mpg it's tough to justify using one of the bikes but I have on occasion.
Satellite radio has been a great thing for me although at times I choose silence to just sit and think, one of the same things I love about heading out for a ride on the bike.

As to the topic (or one of the places it has wandered), I'd love to pick up a street legal 2 stroke one day. I almost bit on an Aprilia RS250 a few years ago,
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #262
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The dispacement numbers vary over the last couple of model years. But the EXC 450 and 530 have been street legal for several years. The new EXC 350 and EXC 500 are also street legal plus the EXC 450. That is why they have model year designations on the web site. And, of course, the 690 Enduro R.
Despite Spagthorpe's problems, all the TE series bikes are 50-state legal.

Last I saw one, the Aprilia SXV and SuMo bikes both had lights, etc. IDK if they're street legal out of the box (don't think so) but could probably be made that way fairly easily depending on what state you live in.

M
Old 02-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #263
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Despite Spagthorpe's problems, all the TE series bikes are 50-state legal.

Last I saw one, the Aprilia SXV and SuMo bikes both had lights, etc. IDK if they're street legal out of the box (don't think so) but could probably be made that way fairly easily depending on what state you live in.

M
pretty sure they are
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #264
xy500
Loser

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
This...
You really are crazy, crazy dave.
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #265
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500 View Post
This...
You really are crazy, crazy dave.
Perhaps this is why they're all hating on Jap bikes? I mean it's nothing special to ride these 450s on the road here, you got the CRF450x, KLX450r, RMX450, WR450f etc as well as the 450 KTM, Husky.

I'd never want to travel on any of these longer than a couple of days though, I'm sure just as many DRZ's are sold here as those bikes for reliability reasons. Though then again the DRZ400e here can be ridden on the road too, they don't have this option.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #266
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Perhaps this is why they're all hating on Jap bikes? I mean it's nothing special to ride these 450s on the road here, you got the CRF450x, KLX450r, RMX450, WR450f etc as well as the 450 KTM, Husky.

I'd never want to travel on any of these longer than a couple of days though, I'm sure just as many DRZ's are sold here as those bikes for reliability reasons. Though then again the DRZ400e here can be ridden on the road too, they don't have this option.
None Japanese of the bikes you listed are street legal stock in the states. I think you are confusing hating on all of the Japanese bikes when in fact, i believe it is archaic models we have here which actually do come plateable from the factory. Personally I'd buy/ride any of those bikes you listed as my state makes it easy to license them, I just have a thing for odd-ball machiner. I especially love high quality odd-ball machinery, but that doesn't diminish my want for one of those 2012 WR450's

But for me riding a DR(Z) or KLX/WR 250 or XR just doesn't isn't as enjoyable as a bike built to a higher standard of overall quality and performance. If that was all I had though, as has been the case in the past I'll smile astraddle anything.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 09:46 PM Reason: clarified I was referring to the Japanese bikes listed
VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #267
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
None of the bikes you listed are street legal stock in the states.
The KTM's and Huskies are...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #268
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,415
Quote:
As they are in some states in the US. In CA, you only get the 50-state legal bikes. In TN for example, you can register anything, 2T, 4T, though you might have to put lights, etc on it. KTM 200 or 300, Honda CRF450R, just slap a light kit on it. 450X, WR450, no real mods needed. It definitely opens up a lot of options.

Some states are tough or impossible though.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #269
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
The KTM's and Huskies are...
Yes. Back to the point of the thread, apparently they aren't good enough for some people.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #270
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Yes. Back to the point of the thread, apparently they aren't good enough for some people.
Nobody is saying they're not good enough, rather that they are Enduro bikes, not Adventure bikes.

Think of a DRZ400e vs DRZ400s or WR250f vs WR250R (these are actually very different) or 640 LC4e vs 640 adventure. They are similarly priced with the same quality but latter models are heavier and detuned in order to accomplish a goal other than winning races. Anything which doesn't help the enduro bikes such as WR450f, KTM450exc etc win races will likely be removed or have the bare minimum attached to allow it on the street.

You may have the sharpest axe in the shed but a cheap hammer will still be better at driving nails... just sayin'.