Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #316
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Give me a detuned KTM that will go 50k miles on a top end and 3-6k miles on an oil change, and why you are at it give me 250 miles of range. I will keep dreaming until this bike exists.. it does not right now.
Can you detune a 450? Knock down compression, decrease lift/duration?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #317
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
The article on the 570 Husaberg is great... The writer (Cyrus Scooter Anderson) sounds like the real deal. Thanks for posting the link, Tarheel Wheeler.

George 99 screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 09:03 AM
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #318
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
The best way to "detune" a bike for longevity is by using your right wrist. Ride a race bike like a race bike and you maintain it like a race bike. Ride it like a trail bike and you just magically decreased maintenance.

When I ride my LC4E like a trail bike it never needs anything. Ever. When I beat the hell out of it like a dirt bike it gets fresh oil and a clean air filter every ride plus frequent valve checks.

Even my Tasmanian Devil like MXC200 responds well to not running the pee out it.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 08:52 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #319
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The best way to "detune" a bike for longevity is by using your right wrist. Ride it race bike and you maintain it like a race bike. Ride it like a trail bike and you just magically decreased maintenance.
No that is NOT TRUE! you HAVE to do exactly what the manual says or else the bike explodes into a million fucking pieces .02 miles after a missed service.
dmaxmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #320
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,128
I found the major downside with my Husky WR250 for "Adventure" use......It's transmission is out of an MX bike. Going to attempt rocking some taller gearing for dual-sportish use. Pre-Mixing while out hasn't been an issue and I found the bike was getting mid to high 30's MPG even with me being on the more aggressive side with the throttle. Fuel economy should bump up with the taller gearing (less throttle input while cruising at speed).

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #321
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
That is the down side to using my MXC on the street also. It needs the 6th gear ratio of a W or an EXC for extended pavement riding. I need a little higher 6th to get me in a happy place in the rpm range. I don't care about a lower first since it spends most of its time pinned offroad anyway. A close ratio five speed with a big jump to sixth would make me happy.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #322
andrewgore
Team MGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
That is the down side to using my MXC on the street also. It needs the 6th gear ratio of a W or an EXC for extended pavement riding. I need a little higher 6th to get me in a happy place in the rpm range. I don't care about a lower first since it spends most of its time pinned offroad anyway. A close ratio five speed with a big jump to sixth would make me happy.
The 5 speeds wouldn't be bad if they were a wider 5 speed. I did some comparisons with my 2001 300EXC I had. Both 5 speeds, but with stock gearing, the KTM 300 would do 90+ in 5th gear. To do that on my husky, I'd have to go up 2 teeth in front, and down 8 in the rear.

It's a shame, I really like this bike. Still keeping an eye out for a 6 speed gearbox to swap in.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #323
George 99
Studly Adventurer

I just did another 200 miles or so on my ol XT-350 Yam. The only thing missing on this bike is the magic button. My ol "plonker" status precludes the need for a lot more suspension (tho it would be nice), the 4 gal tank give me enuff range as it gets 50+ MPG, and the REAL seat is good enuff for extended pavement use at 60 MPH. Noticed on a sticker on the swing arm as I was servicing the chain: MAX load, 198 lbs. Given I'm near 200 with gear on, the 40 lbs of camp/cook gear definitely put me in over load.

I guess I'll look for a 570 Husaberg now... or save $4K and get another DRZ.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #324
andrewgore
Team MGH

George 99,
My 1985 XR350R is almost identical. Great fuel economy (45+mpg), plated, and a 6-speed that can handle tight woods & still go 70mph down the road, and that seat. Holy crap it's like a damn lazy-boy. Not too bad for a bike that's as old as me.

That being said, its an old feeling machine in rough stuff. The tight stuff you can push and go a good clip, but open whoops, and things where you need power, it doesn't have what it takes. It's still a hella fun machine to just gas n bash through stuff. And yes, cost significantly less than any other bike I've owned.

Andrew
Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #325
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Spent a little time lurking on this one. Started out intresting. Seems to me that the closest bike to what you all are looking for is/was the KTM 400LC4e. Only brought them into the US for a couple years, then discontinued due to poor sales numbers. I was lucky enough to snatch one up. Love it. Fits my riding style perfectly. Maintenance is a breeze. Never left me walking. That Honda Trans Alp is intresting, I'll be looking into that one. Living in a country where race reps and cruisers get all the sales, we here at ADVare the minority. If you want the perfect 450 ADV, You're going to have to define and build it your self.

fastdadio screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 12:46 PM
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #326
George 99
Studly Adventurer

How about a DR-Z 400 S or E with an Eddie Sisneros 465 kit? And a few other farkles. Just found this article.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #327
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Excellent link George. Thanks. So, there you go guys, get busy. And I don't want to hear no whining about the DRZ tranny ratios either. Not having a DRZ, I still found the rally dash build intresting. The guy did a great job. The oem speedo has quit on my LC4 and the factory replacement is around $280.00. Zing-smack-ouch! I'm likely going to replace it with the Trailtech Vapor and have been looking for dash project ideas. Nothing quite so elaborate as this because I will crash and smash it first time out.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #328
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
No that is NOT TRUE! you HAVE to do exactly what the manual says or else the bike explodes into a million fucking pieces .02 miles after a missed service.
In my experience you can you .04 miles after service before explosion. There is some fudge factor built into the published figure.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #329
tokyoklahoma OP
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,302
Thumb Doing the deed

Those of you saying that it can't be done, don't tell this guy.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797288
tokyoklahoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #330
George 99
Studly Adventurer

I have no doubt it can be done. I carry less weight than mentioned in that thread when out for a month on my st1100. Done so for 4 days on my XT-350... It's all just a question of reliability and total weight. And a Magic Button! Sure wish the DR-Z 400 had a six speed.

Maybe I'll try to find an old DR-350 and bump it up a little.