Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #91
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Yes, but tell the truth about the 28mpg fuel mileage and lack of available REALLY big tanks to make this bike have the range of a DRZ400 (55-60 mpg). These bikes are not viable out West for sure as they will not go 90 miles on a full tank of gas! That is a killler even if they perform well and are light. They are loop or racing machines only unless you live in a landscape full of gas stations.
Used mine for a week in Moab last spring.
With my taller dual sport gearing setup I was getting 40 mph.
3.7 gal. tank yielded 120 mi range plus ample reserve .
My 640adv was the bike I took out there to ride but on the first day my thermostat housing cracked. The backup 510 was pressed into service and did a fine job other than a crippling hard seat.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #92
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 213
I have skipped through this thread to get the flavor and maybe we are curling around to asking for something that existed in the 1980s. How about a Yamaha XT500 or the old XR500/650 Honda? They had the power, reliability and capacity people here are asking for. Modern design could clearly bring their weight down and the suspension quality up. We all know the engines were bomb proof and good for 50,000 miles Yes, there may be some emission hurdles but not insurmountable with a cat that might just rattle off in time.

Really now, if there is sufficient power to either spin the tire or lift the front end at speeds under 40 mph, how much more recreational power is needed. Not a race bike but plenty fast for dual sporting and the big singles sounded great.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #93
RJRibey
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi.
At the risk of getting flamed here, how come no one has mentioned the GS800 as a possible alternative?
I love my 525 RFS, but would never dream of crossing provinces, or states, or countries on the thing.
The do it all on one bike, is one elusive animal.
Ron
RJRibey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #94
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRibey View Post
Hi.
At the risk of getting flamed here, how come no one has mentioned the GS800 as a possible alternative?
I love my 525 RFS, but would never dream of crossing provinces, or states, or countries on the thing.
The do it all on one bike, is one elusive animal.
Ron
While I do like my F800, it is certainly no 450. She's "big boned" as they say and could stand to lose 100 pounds among other things.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #95
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,151
Quote:
Originally quoted by RJRibey:

If that works, then I'm surprised to realize that I've had the perfect ADV bike all along... WEE FOREVER!!! ()

NFE

PS: The mythical WR450R would be a nice alternative...
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #96
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
I have skipped through this thread to get the flavor and maybe we are curling around to asking for something that existed in the 1980s. How about a Yamaha XT500 or the old XR500/650 Honda? They had the power, reliability and capacity people here are asking for. Modern design could clearly bring their weight down and the suspension quality up. We all know the engines were bomb proof and good for 50,000 miles Yes, there may be some emission hurdles but not insurmountable with a cat that might just rattle off in time.

Really now, if there is sufficient power to either spin the tire or lift the front end at speeds under 40 mph, how much more recreational power is needed. Not a race bike but plenty fast for dual sporting and the big singles sounded great.

Lee
You are right frostback... we already had them in the 80s. Give me back my 87' TT350 Yamaha, add a gallon to the tank, alum muffler, good shock, disc rear brake and USD forks and I will take it anywhere. It actually had a seat you could SIT ON and a 6 speed and was faster by a bit than my New DRZ. The thing had a huge oil capacity, never needed the valves adjusted or being fussed over. You just rode it. Please give us these back! We promise to be better this time...
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #97
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,130
Everyone who claims "if only the Japanese manufacturers would produce a bike...." would put up or shut up, they would. Vote with your dollars. You've got plenty of STREET LEGAL options:

2-stroke, but can be plated (assuming you're not in CA):

Quit whining about what isn't available, and really show the manufacturers that you're not just talking. Or go buy a used 80's bike.

Too much power? Put a throttle stop on it and limit things. Yall got plenty of options

Worried about the bike breaking while youre traversing the planet? I thought that was part of the adventure. Insert saying here about how it's the journey, not the destination.....

Andrew - Brought to you by me being sick on the couch all day
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #98
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,170
the amazing bifurcated thread
Old 01-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #99
ADZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
Everyone who claims "if only the Japanese manufacturers would produce a bike...." would put up or shut up, they would. Vote with your dollars. You've got plenty of STREET LEGAL options:

2-stroke, but can be plated (assuming you're not in CA):

Quit whining about what isn't available, and really show the manufacturers that you're not just talking. Or go buy a used 80's bike.

Too much power? Put a throttle stop on it and limit things. Yall got plenty of options

Worried about the bike breaking while youre traversing the planet? I thought that was part of the adventure. Insert saying here about how it's the journey, not the destination.....

Andrew - Brought to you by me being sick on the couch all day
Exactly...the husky 449 & 510 weigh the same plus u get more cc...more reliable and less maintenance valves etc than team Orange...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk
ADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #100
Mr. C
I need more bike time!!

Oddometer: 524
I think that one issue is that people over estimate the type of riding they will be doing with a true "dual sport" bike. Many people have the idea that they will be ripping up the super technical single track like the professionals, while in reality their "dirt" riding is better defined as trail riding with a few water and mud holes thrown in.

If you are doing the really gnarly single track, then a dedicated dirt bike would be the best anyway. A DRZ would be too heavy. If you are doing the "trail" style off-road riding, then the DRZ works very well.

I am the guy who used to look for the dual sport that was capable of the super technical stuff, but then realized (or at least stopped lying to myself) that I am not good at the really gnarly stuff and the more tame tracks (with the mud and water) is more my speed.

What I am trying to say is that it is important to be honest with yourself when it comes to the riding you will actually do with a dual sport. That is the only way to get a bike that works well for your purposes.
2009 DRZ400S (sold)
2002 KLR650 (sold)
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #101
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
Last summer I looked at the battered, broken, rock rashed remains of my LC4. Then I thought about sliding down a rocky trail under it at highway speed getting my ass rock rashed. I decided it was time to be honest with myself. I bought the MXC200.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #102
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRibey View Post
Hi.
Because the OP was specifically asking about light-weight 450cc ADV bikes, smaller than the current crop of mid-size bikes (like the GS800)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #103
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Seems like the world is ready for a WR450R with:

Wide ratio 6 speed
4 gal tank
Racks
Skid Plates

NFE
WR is abreviation for wide ratio.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #104
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittrated03 View Post
WR is abreviation for wide ratio.
...wider than some other models but still not exactly wide
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 03:18 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #105
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Honda

Ive owned many many bikes...somwething like 26 in 20 years. I think the Honda XR650 with a few bolt ons is hard to beat. One of the most bullet proof engines made and ive put 50k on a 1993 model. I just wisk they would make it FI but that would mean an additional $1000 on sticker. Im a loyal Yamaha rider but had to buy a V Strom since yamaha doesn't offer a compareble bike. Ive owned KTMs and in my POV, they are like race bikes off the show room floor. Hydraulic clutches , for example. Also, every KTM ive owned or ridden goes like a bat out of hell. I just believe that if a man bought a KTM 650 and a Honda 650, the Honda would be around 25 years later starting on the first kick....I dont know if the orange woould be.