User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
alabama mike OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hack for a uylsses

I have a question, I am a disabled vet with PTSD, 2 years ago I bought a Buell Uylsses, What little bit I've gotten to ride it, its been a great bike. Well this past year Some of my problems have gotten worse, well maybe not worse, its just the meds that were controling the problems are becoming ineffective. Long story short I now have a medical alert service dog that I take with me everywhere I go. I really want to get back to riding, and I have a nearly new Buell, So the question is does anyone make a sidecar setup for this bike? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
alabama mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,352
Anything is possible, but expect that it would be much easier and cheaper in the long run to sell the Ulysses and buy a motorcycle better suited to sidecar installation.

The Uly has no frame and is thus much trickier to hack than just about most other bikes.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Mr.Mellow's WildRide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama mike View Post
I am a disabled vet with PTSD,Well this past year Some of my problems have gotten worse, well maybe not worse, its just the meds that were controling the problems are becoming ineffective. Long story short I now have a medical alert service dog that I take with me everywhere I go.
I also have PTSD.

You might be interested in the info I've posted at this web page:

http://www.freedominion.com.pa/phpBB...p?f=55&t=81888

The purpose is to assist those Veterans who have had trouble getting the VA to treat or compensate them fairly.

Good Luck....!!!
Mr.Mellow's WildRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Oddometer: 180
You've been PM'd
[/CENTER]
brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Not Impossible, But...

The 2003 and later Buells are probably the most difficult bike in all of creation to 'hack. Great bikes they be, but the fuel tank is the frame, so there's no neat structure there to bolt a sidecar too. It can be done, but would essentially would require building a whole new frame to attach the sidecar to. If you like Buells, it's far easier to mount a sidecar to the earlier (up through 2002) tube frame Buells. They still require a subframe, but that's far easier than building up a whole frame. Claude on the east coast is on this forum and has made a subframe for a tube frame Buell, and Doug Bingham on the west coast has done one also. There's also a 2000 Buell Cyclone on Sioux Falls craiglist already hack'd with what looks to be a homemade sidecar. The owner's had it listed for months and started out asking $7000 for it, but she's gradually dropped the price to $5000. The bikes worth only $2000, so at most it's worth $4000 with the sidecar. When I get back to Minnesota next month a might take a look at it....
Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
ricmachado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I was going to say the same that was said before, maybe a S2 or S2T that are the tube frame sport touring bike will be better suited for the hack. Good luck on your build, I had a Ulysses before and just loved the bike. Enjoy the best way you can
ricmachado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
brockoli
build of cool stuff

The Ulysses will be just fine, and you already have it and it doesn't have some of the issues associated with the earlier tube frame Buell's. Here's what i would do. Extended swingarm to get a little bit of wheel base under that beast, Steerite to reduce the trail for sidecar use, full custom subframe specifically built on that bike, not a generic 'one size fits most' and i'd relocate the muffler to a high side pipe to gain back some of the ground clearance, so you dont have the muffler and subframe hanging under it. Pick up on many structural points on the frame and motor and go riding. Oh ya, you'd have to decide what you wanted for a sidecar, cargo, utility, passenger friendly, etc. Don't get discouraged, it can be done!
-Brock Smith
[/CENTER]
Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Mr.Mellow's WildRide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockoli View Post
You've been PM'd
better than being PMS'd............!!!

Mr.Mellow's WildRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

If It Were Only That Easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockoli View Post
The Ulysses will be just fine, and you already have it and it doesn't have some of the issues associated with the earlier tube frame Buell's.

True, but some of the 2nd generation's upgrades can be retrofitted to a "tuber", such as the improved upper engine mounts and engine oil system venting.

Here's what i would do. Extended swingarm to get a little bit of wheel base under that beast,

The Uly already has a longer wheelbase than the XBs. And the extended swingarm you're going to make will have to be leakproof, because the Uly and other Buell XBs use the swingarm as an oil tank.

Steerite to reduce the trail for sidecar use,

Doesn't have that much trail to begin with, this ain't no cruiser!

full custom subframe specifically built on that bike, not a generic 'one size fits most'

You'll need to make a full frame, not just a subframe- the Uly and other XBs have a short aluminum frame that doubles as a fuel tank.

and i'd relocate the muffler to a high side pipe to gain back some of the ground clearance, so you dont have the muffler and subframe hanging under it.

No ground clearance problems- the Uly is already jacked up a bit compared to the other XBs. And if you want to move the muffler, you'll have to build a pretty much custom complete exhaust system.

Pick up on many structural points on the frame and motor and go riding.

Again, if only it was so easy- many of the "structural points" you're looking for are hidden under the frame/fuel tank.

Oh ya, you'd have to decide what you wanted for a sidecar, cargo, utility, passenger friendly, etc. Don't get discouraged, it can be done!
-Brock Smith
Sure, Sauer did one on an XB a few years back, their asking price was a mere $30,000. Truth is, the Buell XBs are probably the toughest bikes to hack. Yup, it can be done, but it'd be a lot easier to start with a more adaptable bike.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Exactly. It would probably be no more expensive to build a custom tug frame to drop the Uly's drivetrain into than to build a frame to adapt it as a tug. And it would still be better suited to sidecar duty, if done correctly.

Unless someone has unlimited money (and limited common sense) it's not a viable build.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Nobody said it would be easy or cheap, but unless you have a constructors license to re-issue a new serial number, there is no building full custom frames and dropping drivetrains into. Any bike with a stressed member engine is in the same boat that the ulysses is in. The fact the fuel is in the frame is immaterial. And the trail would still need to be reduced. We reduce the trail on ZX-14's and other sportbikes that don't have a lot of trail to begin with. The fact that it has enough trail to be riden solo usually means there is too much trail to be correct for sidecar duty. You just dont have to reduce the trail as much, because it is already close to where it needs to be compared to a cruiser. Ground clearance is your friend on any dual sport rig, why not keep it that way. If the bike has a lot to start and then you start adding tubes under it, you are removing the ground clearance. By relocating things that are easy to move, and replacing that area with things that need to be there, like a frame, you maintain ground clearance. Not trying to argue a point. Sure it would be easier to start with something else but if that's the bike he has and wants to do it on, than why not do it? There are better bikes out there than Urals and KLR's to dual sport hack too, but how many of those do we see. (not knocking you Ural/KLR guys ). There are lots of pictures in the links in my signature that show how to make the most of whatever the customer brings us.
Back to the subject at hand,
Brock Smith
[/CENTER]
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Well if it's so easy...

You offering to do it for under $1000? $2000? Even $5000? Have you even looked at a Uly to see what you're getting into?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,461
I made a complete subframe on my Vstrom in my little 12x12 shed with a sawzall and a 110 fluxcore wirefeed.The Vstrom is kinda like a Buell in the fact that it hangs the motor FROM the frame.My point is that if I can build one on my Strom than BROC could build a REALLY nice one on a Buell !!!!!

Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Thanks Northwestrider. My point exactly, any bike that has a stressed engine, from DL650's to GL1800's needs a sub-frame to install a sidecar correctly. It doesn't always have to be a huge lump of steel but the issues are the same, Buell or not. That's all I was trying to put across. If I can't figure out how to make a sub-frame for a bike, perhaps I shouldn't have a hand full of Hayabusa's (stressed member engines as well) in the shop getting built in to 2wd rally spec sidecars with reverse, hub center steering and custom bodies, or the GSX1100 getting a 2+2 Hannigan with custom leading links and a full custom header back exhaust. I'm not arguing the fact that it would be cheap to do, but it can be done, and isn't an unrealistic build.
Name:  IMG_5813.jpg
Views: 1949
Size:  174.3 KB
Here is a subframe that happens to be attached to the entire sidecar frame in one piece and the bike, with no frame under the motor to mount the sidecar to, gets dropped in to it. I can do it, have done it and it's the same set of challenges on each build. I'm finished debating on whether or not I have seen a Buell Ulysses, that's an odd comment in itself.
Lets see the Buell go together, for someone who has done a lot for their country by someone who is capable of doing the work correctly, whoever it may be. It can be done.
I'm out.
Regards,
Brock Smith
[/CENTER]
Old 01-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Not arguing that it can be done, and obviously you have what it takes to make it happen. I'm just saying that it's not a practical route to go.

Unless the Uly's ergonomics are particularly well-suited to the rider in question, little of a bike's personality remains when its mated up to a hack. So why go into such an involved build, when there are better tugs out there that are more easily mated up? Other than to enrich your fabricator, of course.