Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockoli View Post
Lets see the Buell go together, for someone who has done a lot for their country by someone who is capable of doing the work correctly, whoever it may be.
Are you going to build it for him pro bono? I wholeheartedly approve.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Oddometer: 180
Eastbloc, totally agree. When i see posts up about someone who asks an honest question about the bike they have and wondering if a sidecar can be installed and what route to take with it and then others tell him to sell it because it's too hard to mount, I feel bad for the original poster. They need to know that a straight out no is not correct. Agreed the Buell is a special breed of bike and with all of Eric's mass centralization and things doing double duty, like the frame and swingarm, it isn't the easiest bike to go with, but it can be done and if someone says they want it on a particular bike, then the options need to be discussed as to the pros and cons of the particular build. If the costs associated with the build are too high simply because of the complexity of it, perhaps it's i the persons best interest to choose something better suited for what they want. It's no different than telling a hot rodder not to build up the rusty old '40's pickup because it would cost more to do than buying a '60's hot rod that is easier to build. It may be true, but you don't end up with what you really wanted to begin with. Fabrication is always fun, when it stops being enjoyable, regardless of what it is I'm building, I'll stop, and maybe get out and enjoy some of my creations. Other fabricators know what i mean.
Regards,
Brock Smith
P.S. No free builds here, sorry guys. But information is always free.
[/CENTER]
brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #18
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Brock, no offense meant...

But this would be about the most complex build possible. You mention the problem of the engine being a stressed member... Well, in the Harley engined Buells the engine is and isn't a stressed member. Yup, the Buell engine is mounted to the frame with a complex collection of rubber mounts and linkages that allow it to float back and forth to qwell vibration but stressed laterally to add stiffness in cornering (I hope I got that all right). It'd be a real challenge to duplicate all those functions, but not entirely impossible.

Which brings us back to the riders needs... Carrying an assistance dog. Not sure of the size of the dog, but the Uly has a good sized rear rack that could handle a carrier for a dog. If the dog is too big for that solution, hooking a small trailer to the Uly would be a lot simpler than hacking it. And if a hack is neccessary, Buell "tuber" frames and rollers are a dime a dozen and the later engine from the Uly and XB swingarms have been fitted to "tuber" frames. Just take the frame to Claude so he can make a subframe, transfer all the parts over, and you're ready to attach a sidecar. Still a lot of work, but not adding in the cost of the hack, could be done for a couple thousand dollars. Or check out that hack'd Buell "tuber" on Sioux Falls craigslist, asking $5000.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
What about "triking" a Uly? Seems like a pretty straight forward swing arm modification, that wouldn't require an extensive sub frame fabrication, nor a lot of (if any) relocation of factory items?

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Oddometer: 180
Aware of the motor mounting system.
Paint shaker, a trike would be really cool!
[/CENTER]
brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Trikes? Yawn
Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

XBs have been triked....

Though I'd be nervous about putting side stresses into the frame/fuel tank that it probably wasn't designed for.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #23
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Triking an XB would be much easier/practical than hacking one.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #24
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
I agree that the Buell can be made into a sidecar bike, In fact when they first came out we looked into buying one as our demo bike, However we went with a Triumph Tiger at the time which also has a stressed engine as it was a lot less work to make into a sidecar bike then the Uylsses,. It has been a long time since I looked at one but if I remember the swing arm is also the oil tank on this bike which makes a custom swing are just that much more money to build. There is no doubt that Brock, Claude or we could build a sidecar rig around the Uylsses however selling the bike and buying a bike that there is a "Kit" for will end up being a lot less money, But perhaps not what you are looking for. Anything can be done if there is enough money.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
jay@dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #25
alabama mike OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thank you everyone for you input on this, Guess the reason I want to use the Buell is Basically its new, I bought it before some of my problems came up, So I've been making payments and its been sitting. I've had it 2 years now with 722 miles on it, I owe more than its worth, so selling it to buy another would be hard on me, Plus being medically retired I am on a fixed budget, Unlike all our congress and senate who's got a hellava retirement after only having to serve 1 1/2 years, my retirement is not that great, enough to live on and have a little mad money left over. As far as my dog goes, he is a Half Husky, Half Golden Retriever mix, Last vet visit he went 102 lbs. I really need him closer to me that a trailer would allow, he alerts to a medical condition I have, and while I don't have problems driving he's become my safety blanket so to speak (think linus's blanket in the peanuts comic strip). I saw a Picture of a Hack somewhere that Looked like an aluminium tool box, the top was removable but it also had a half top that allowed a seat to put in the back half, something like that would be wonderful. Thanks all.
alabama mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #26
MooseKiller
Tripod

Oddometer: 4,604
These guys hacked an XB... Not sure about the similarities between an XB and Uly, or if there are any aside from the Buell logo...

However, their motto is "Can't is NOT an option!" I figure drop them a line and see what they say. I'm not affiliated with them, nor heard anything about them... They just popped up in a Google search.
MooseKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Think that hack was built on a "tuber"

It's pretty heavily modified, but I can see a lot of "tuber" parts there.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #28
ricmachado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGrrrl View Post
It's pretty heavily modified, but I can see a lot of "tuber" parts there.
That is an older Buell, with tube frame.
ricmachado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #29
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Mike,
To build your bike and do it right will cost at least twice what you paid for the bike. It is perhaps the most expensive bike around to add a sidecar to. Another option, not nearly as cool the Uylsses with a sidecar would be is to go with a Kawasaki KLR 650, You can get these for under $2,000 for an older one and for around $4000 for a very low milage newer one. You could then go with one of our Kenna frames which can be shipped to you Fed Ex which saves on shipping over truck shipping, Buy a box local to you for the bed of a pick up truck or build a wood box and be into the entire rig with the KLR for much less then even the bassic sidecar before adapting it for the Uylsses would cost you. Or, again going the KLR route, my demo bike is for sale, it is a 1992 KLR 650 with about 14K on it. We just added an Enduro sidecar to it with a disk brake. The sidecar with its options and the labor to install it goes for about $4200. The bike it turns out may be burning some oil and the clutch apears to be slipping. I have rode the bike less then 10 miles at this point and it was in the snow so I do not have a really good feel for what all this bike is going to need so I am willing to sell it for $4000 AS IS. Barry my general manager takes his dog with him on Enduro sidecars by removing the seat and then he has a box for the dog he bolts in its place, he then wire ties a plexi glass screen into the grab bar for his dog to look through.
Any one else have any ideas for Mike?
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #30
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
Mike,
To build your bike and do it right will cost at least twice what you paid for the bike. It is perhaps the most expensive bike around to add a sidecar to. Another option, not nearly as cool the Uylsses with a sidecar would be is to go with a Kawasaki KLR 650, You can get these for under $2,000 for an older one and for around $4000 for a very low milage newer one. You could then go with one of our Kenna frames which can be shipped to you Fed Ex which saves on shipping over truck shipping, Buy a box local to you for the bed of a pick up truck or build a wood box and be into the entire rig with the KLR for much less then even the bassic sidecar before adapting it for the Uylsses would cost you. Or, again going the KLR route, my demo bike is for sale, it is a 1992 KLR 650 with about 14K on it. We just added an Enduro sidecar to it with a disk brake. The sidecar with its options and the labor to install it goes for about $4200. The bike it turns out may be burning some oil and the clutch apears to be slipping. I have rode the bike less then 10 miles at this point and it was in the snow so I do not have a really good feel for what all this bike is going to need so I am willing to sell it for $4000 AS IS. Barry my general manager takes his dog with him on Enduro sidecars by removing the seat and then he has a box for the dog he bolts in its place, he then wire ties a plexi glass screen into the grab bar for his dog to look through.
Any one else have any ideas for Mike?
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
$4k for the KLR rig including the bike?!