Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #31
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Yes, $4000 with the bike, The bike does have issues, slipping clutch may be burning oil and it was painted with a rattle can but looks good from about 10 feet back.
My plan was to put a different tank on it and use plastic to make it look good again. If it does not sell ASAP, I will be doing this as well as fixing other problems with the bike and of course the price will be going back up.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #32
alabama mike OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Looks like I will see what my bike will bring on Ebay, If I can at least break even then I can probably get something else financed. thanks to everyone for there inputs.

Mike
alabama mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #33
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
How much do you need...

To pay off the loan on the Uly?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama mike View Post
Looks like I will see what my bike will bring on Ebay, If I can at least break even then I can probably get something else financed. thanks to everyone for there inputs.

Mike
Wish we could give you a simple answer but some bike's designs make sidecars hard to mount.

Please keep in touch and let us know where you take this project.

Ken
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #35
alabama mike OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadgrrrl View Post
to pay off the loan on the uly?
alabama mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #36
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Oddometer: 180
Keep the bike, hack it. The money saved by not having to buy an off the shelf fiberglass sidecar, and the ability have a more utilitarian rig, allows a little cushion room for the added costs that the mounts would be.
-Brock Smith
Side Effects
[/CENTER]
brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #37
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Reality Check...

'Bama Mike, it's gonna be hard to get $7k for even a low mile Uly- When HOG(NYSE) shut down Buell they knocked $3000 off the aircooled Buell's prices and the market hasn't recovered. You might try posting your Buell for sale at www.badweatherbikers.com , with it's low mileage it might attract a collector there.

Mr. Brock, have you costed out what all a Uly hack build would entail? Unless you're willing to work for free, there's no way you can fabricate a whole bike frame AND swingarm AND the hack AND frame for less than $10k. Then there's the cost of transporting the Uly from the southwestern U.S. to western Canada and back with a hack.... Figure at least a couple thou more for that.

Mile, I'd look for simpler options like DMC's already hack'd KLR650 or hacking a "tuber" Buell if you want to stay with Buells. Your bank probably wouldn't approve (if they knew), but you could buy a "tuber" and transplant your Uly powertrain into it. Then take it up to Claude in PA and have him make a subframe and maybe a hack too- he's built a subframe for a "tuber" before, and the price he quoted me for one was pretty reasonable. Another option is the hack'd "tuber" on Sioux Falls, SD craigslist- it's languished there for months and the asking price has dropped from $7k to $5k. She seems to drop the price about $500 a month... If nobody else grabs that hack'd Buell, I'm gonna take a look at it when I get home next month.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #38
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Here is a fine example of a sidecar on a non tuber Buell. If the capabilities are there to have hub center steering on it and most likely a matched wheel on the rear, then a more traditional sidecar mount is not out of the question. The cost for this particular setup would be a lot, given the parts installed.
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...838/283693.jpg

If we are going to talk prices I'll put an estimate together to rest peoples minds so that random numbers aren't flying around. I'm not trying to bid on a job. Simply providing information to people through a good forum with a good background of solid information and fabrication skills.

Like the old saying goes, Mike, "run whatcha brung".

-Brock
[/CENTER]
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #39
jmbueller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just to throw fuel on the fire...

I own a 2009 Buell XB12XT Uly. This version of the bike is much more sport touring than off road. I love the bike because it's handling is right there with my R6 Yamaha, it's super comfy for long rides, it's got luggage capacity, my wife finds it comfortable for two-up riding, and the engine provides very "streetable" power with all the torque.

A pipe dream I've had is a leaner where the bike leans and sidecar doesn't with high and low front and rear mounts to provide just enough steering in the sidecar wheel. I'd want it wide enough so I wasn't giving up a lot of lean angle. It seems to me that this type sidecar could address some of the concern over additional loads into the Buell frame/engine by allowing a degree of independent vertical movement over bumps. I also don't think it'd be that tougher to design a subframe that ties in at the swing arm in back and the upper forward engine mount structure. I'd gladdly give up an inch or so of ground clearance to keep the muffler wher it is. You could even make the sidecar suspension out of that spare Buell swingarm I've got....

Like I said, could be a pipe dream, but it seems doable to me.

Brock?

(If this is too much of a side track, somebody can move this elsewhere and comment.)
jmbueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #40
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Nice to hear JMBueller. Well said. Not to get too far off track, when you have a leaner, especially with higher mounts/pivot points, the sidecar wheel does more scrubbing. With setups like the Flexit, where the sidecar and the bike lean equally, there is no scrubbing. The scrubbing will haunt you in some situations where the sidecar wheel tells the bike what it wants to do by pushing and pulling on the bike. Ideally you'd want the pivot at the ground, where the tires touch for every inch you move up, the sidecar will move from side to side. Obviously this can't happen but the lower the better unless they are mechanically linked like the Flexit, which used roller chains on a sprocket at each end of the 'strut'. Very clever. Also without the bike and sidecar moving parallel to each other, the ride would get interesting on heavy off camber/undulating trails as the sidecar moved up and down. Leaners have always been a 'black magic' beast. My dad brought the Flexit over to the US with Hannes (the creator) in the late '80s. Here is a pic of my dad (my little sister was in the sidecar) during a photo shoot in California. He still has this helmet and boots, not sure why? Haha.
http://improvelife.info/links/v65/sp...s/Flexit29.jpg
As you said about the mounting points, they are there, they just need to be utilized correctly and efficiently.
Back on track...

-Brock
[/CENTER]
Old 01-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #41
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,476
Pipe dreams are cool...... hack it

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #42
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Claude, you gettin' bored too?

When the sidecar builders are showing interest in hacking a fuel in frame Buell, business must be slow...
Old 01-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #43
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Thumbs down

This topic has gotten off track and is becoming a little offensive. Any good shop is busy, Claude's, DMC, or us at Side Effects, we are all busy. The simple question originally asked was can his bike be hack'd. Not if he should sell it and buy an easier one, or if anybody was slow and wanted to entertain him with good information. Instead, a new member, looking for a simple answer gets answers from some and positive encouragement on something that is obtainable mixed with bickering and slagging with/of others who have posted. I'm sure the direction this thread has taken has made a few others with valuable information refrain from posting. I don't see the need for anymore time spent on the thread as it sits. But if the OP wants more info or if someone else has a related question, then perhaps more info can be put out for them.
[/CENTER]
Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #44
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Good Points, But...

It's easy to scheme out ways to do a difficult install, but it'd be wise to explain that while a Uly can be hack'd, it'll be a very expensive process. Best to be upfront from the start rather than baiting the hook and then telling the buyer what it's all going to cost. Or worse yet, tearing the bike apart without telling the buyer what it'll cost after all the cost overruns...
Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #45
val. h.
On the wrong planet

Oddometer: 118
Here's a thought

I've been reading this thread with interest and it's got me thinking. As I understand it the Uly has some interesting features that make mounting a sidecar in the conventional manor difficult and expensive. However there is always a solusion. It's just not in the box you're looking in right now.

How about the possibility of mounting the Uly directly to the sidecar chassis. Ditch the forks and swing arm. It's surely possible to make another oil tank. It's not like the oil in the swing arm is an absolute is it??

Mount the front and rear wheels on the sidcar chassis with McFerson struts or the like with the appropriate linkages for the steering.

If there is a strength issue with the frame of the Uly because it carries the fuel, then how about adding a seperate fuel tank to the sidecar chassis too. This will allow the builder to drill, sleeve and weld the frame in the nessarary places. The Uly is fuel injected, which means it has a fuel pump. So location of the fuel and oil is not such a problem is it??

The set up (if done considerately) will look great and handle well. Something seriously to be proud of.

Val.

Ay! and the roads need to be bloody good too
val. h. is offline   Reply With Quote