Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #31
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
In this economy you should be able to find a good deal for a used motorcycle trailer. I recently found a Diamondback tilt bed rig. Aluminum deck, chock, two side mount tool boxes, third wheel and spare. It weighs 300 pounds and has 14" wheels and torsion axle. It was one year old and originaly sold for $2,500 plus the options. I paid $1,100! I am not rying to step on your toes but the Honda isn't a truck. I would look for a good used trailer. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #32
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpower View Post
Moymurfs - What trailer did you end up getting for $500? I'm in the Raleigh area, and not sure whether to just get one at store like Lowes, or one of the many small places around that sell utility trailers?

Thanks - Mike

I'm in Currituck and I went in to Elizabeth city to Builder's Emporium...It's a supplier of bldg material where you drive into and they load you up...(kind of like the "Brew-Threws) It was the middle of winter (slow) and I went up to the counter and and asked them their best price.. Since I told him it would be green cash his eyebrows lifted and that was that.... It looks like the exact same one you find at Lowe's.. Mesh floor is the cheapest (that's what I got). I had already checked around so I knew the regular prices..all were within about 50 bucks of each other..until this guy wanted a sale.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #33
moymurfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Where do you keep your trailer so the neihbors dont complain?
...Im on a full acre... space isn't a problem...plus, most of my neighbors have a trailers of somesort in their yards also (fishing in big around here).

Also, I pull it with my 04 Honda Oddyssey van. Same motor as your ridgline,,hell, probably the same chasis. I usually just have my drz400 on it but I have put a 650 and a little 50 on it at the same time... I tow them up into the mountains of WV. Even in the steep switchback stuff of rt33 or 250. It does great.

moymurfs screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 05:41 AM
moymurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #34
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,144
I got one of these on sale for $550. http://www.lowes.com/pd_100369-15476-5X8G_4294787395_4294937087_?productId=3005264&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sale s_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Trailers_4294787395_4294937087_%3 FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_s ales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Love the back gate ramp, fell off riding up a rail trailer one time.

No problem if the bike is not running. Try pushing a non running bike up a ramp into a truck.

Used a million times on Home Depot runs, etc.

Piece of plywood and a couple of removable chocks and you're in business.

It's light enough to haul 2 bikes with any car.

Speedo66 screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 07:36 AM
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #35
moymurfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
I got one of these on sale for $550. http://www.lowes.com/pd_100369-15476-5X8G_4294787395_4294937087_?productId=3005264&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sale s_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Trailers_4294787395_4294937087_%3 FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_s ales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Love the back gate ramp, fell off riding up a rail trailer one time.

No problem if the bike is not running. Try pushing a non running bike up a ramp into a truck.

Used a million times on Home Depot runs, etc.

Piece of plywood and a couple of removable chocks and you're in business.

It's light enough to haul 2 bikes with any car.

Yup! That's z'actly what I have..
Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #36
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Get a small trailer. If you have to load that big bike onto the bed of a pickup yourself with a ramp, you're gonna be hating life. If you're always going to have people around to help you, than it's not as big of a deal... However, in my experience, that is never the case (for anything). Get a cheap used single axle trailer. I have a 5 x 8 foot expanded metal flooring trailer that I have used for everything from hauling my four wheelers to getting firewood to moving to hauling bikes for track days. It was cheap; like $500, and I bought it new. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy used.

This summer I'm going to tear out the expanded metal flooring and put some treated wood down for a floor. The biggest downside to expanded metal flooring is that heavy items tend to settle as you drive along. After strapping in a bike to the trailer, I drive for five miles or so, then pull over, and have to retighten all the straps, as they've settled into the flooring (always). If you go the trailer route, either buy one with a wood floor or plan to put one in yourself. It'll make life much easier.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #37
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
The K1100LT starts out as a big bike,but when Im done with it ,it will have lost quite a few pounds.Just wondering why U would want the bike out of gear ?
Constant chafing & vibration can cause galling of engaged gears.
Not just me that says so - it was in the instruction manual of my Rolls-Royce!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #38
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 208
Get a covered trailer and you can stow gear, tools, and a coffee maker as well as the bikes. It's all packed and ready to go at a moments notice.
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #39
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
In this economy you should be able to find a good deal for a used motorcycle trailer. I recently found a Diamondback tilt bed rig. Aluminum deck, chock, two side mount tool boxes, third wheel and spare. It weighs 300 pounds and has 14" wheels and torsion axle. It was one year old and originaly sold for $2,500 plus the options. I paid $1,100! I am not rying to step on your toes but the Honda isn't a truck. I would look for a good used trailer. GH
But I have truck tags.
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #40
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

If I were to go the ramp route I would be getting the 40inch by 9foot ramp.At that length and width with a self locking chalk I feel I could easily get it up and down by myself.But I would never try it without the bike running.
Still no pics?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #41
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Home made toy-hauler:

Rear end opens up to load bikes; it can take 4 dirt bikes, but usually only three. the helmet-shelf slides out. If it's a muddy weekend, we take a petrol-powered pressure-washer too:

Inside it has beds for 3, 3-way fridge, stove, usual old-style caravan cupboards & radio/tape/cd player, mains or 12v electrics, 150l of water:

Scour e-bay for a cheap caravan, add a weekend & some ingenuity and for a couple of grand you have somewhere warm & dry to sleep, cook & change!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #42
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Nice work.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #43
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,793
Do you actually pull that rig with that CRV in the photo?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #44
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

It does look like a lot of tongue wht.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #45
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Do you actually pull that rig with that CRV in the photo?
Yep - just shifted weight around to get it over the van's axle as much as possible. It sometimes got a little squirrely around 100km/h, so just back it off a tad! Our driveway is about half a mile of pretty steep dirt and sometimes you needed to be "committed" to the hairpin bend... Being a manual means you 'drive' it, rather than just 'aim' it as you would with the Cripple's Option - a slush-box.
But now I have a 4x4 Isuzu double-cab diesel pick-up (though it's called a Holden ute here!) and we're heading out again tomorrow morning - we'll see how that goes!