Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #61
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
U got that right.Luckily the local Uhaul always has 2 of these trailers in stock.
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #62
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
About the only negative to renting cost wise is a long trip like shuttling your bikes to a start point to save time/tire wear.

In 2010 my trailer and pickup for that matter were on the road and or parked for nearly a month in Washington State, while I toured Canada and Alaska on KLRs. I guess you could turn in the rental for a few weeks but that would be a PITA and eliminate some of the time savings/flexibility you gained from trailering in the first place.

I would keep an eye out for a good deal on a used trailer, while at the same time getting a feel what you like/dislike about various rental options (open, closed etc).
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #63
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanka View Post
Go with the trailer. I have a '10 F150 4x4 and tow a 19' travel trailer. I put two, 250 trail bikes in the back with heavy duty ramps about 7 feet long. Way too short. I have dropped one bike off the ramps. The bikes have to be running. If using ramps, the longer the better, I'm looking for at least 10 footers, so I can load my Victory on the truck or maybe an auto loader..
I have one of these covers that I use when I am hauling my quads and taking the trailer. The ramps are a full 12' long and they can handle 1000lbs. If I was using them to load a bike I would weld spaces inbetween each rung so that my foot didn't go through. You would have to modify the upper end of the tailgait or the ramps so they would mount onto the tailgate.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Dia...neau_cover.htm

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #64
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I have one of these covers that I use when I am hauling my quads and taking the trailer. The ramps are a full 12' long and they can handle 1000lbs. If I was using them to load a bike I would weld spaces inbetween each rung so that my foot didn't go through. You would have to modify the upper end of the tailgait or the ramps so they would mount onto the tailgate.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Dia...neau_cover.htm
Neat idea if you are lugging along something short like your quads.But Im already pushing a lot of air out of the way with my truck,could not begin to guess how bad the gas mileage would be with a bike up that high.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #65
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Neat idea if you are lugging along something short like your quads.But Im already pushing a lot of air out of the way with my truck,could not begin to guess how bad the gas mileage would be with a bike up that high.
I did not mean to imply using one of them for a bike. If you wanted REALLY long ramps, theirs are a full 12' long! They fold in half so that are fairly portable. That is the point I was making, thta and they are stout ramps.

F*CK CANCER
Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #66
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Sorry about that Chief
Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #67
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Saw this picture and solution for the Ridgeline.

Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #68
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
Saw this picture and solution for the Ridgeline.

I wonder how he\she supports the tailgate when loading? If you look closely at a Ridgeline tailgate you will see their is little support at its base and only one support cable as seen on the left side of that truck.I have had both my 12 year old boys on the tailgate and it does sag minutely on the right side.They are not big boys.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #69
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the pic Twohondas
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #70
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,523
If you want the strength for your tail gate, Why not just put a piece of 6" C channel for the length of your box? It would offer the extra support you need and guide the bike to centre.

I have no problem putting MX bikes in a truck. Not sure I would want to be putting an 1150 up there though. Definitely not on a regular bases. In my selling/buying of bikes, I've loaded a Virago 750, a Gold Wing and a V-65 onto low trailers. Even on the low trailers a heavy bike can be a handful. I can't imagine loading/unloading one in a truck - especially by myself.

If you're doing it once, fill your boots with loading the Ridgeline. More than that and you'll be glad you have a trailer.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #71
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,523
Just found this:
http://montana.craigslist.org/rvs/2790416035.html

Not sure how close it is to your house but the price seems right.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #72
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Thanks for the pic Twohondas

Ive got a Ridgeline and have had 3 dirtbikes in it, worked fine (2 forward 1 back). Never did worry about the tailgate..but now I will..lol.

Idea: What about just attaching an extra, high quality tie down to the non-cable side of the tailgate for a bit more support? Not sure if there is an obvious hook point, maybe one could be crafted. Surely this would increase the load capacity greatly.

Also, you would need a long (10'?), wide atv ramp to get a big street bike in to the back of a Ridgeline safely. Something that folds in half.

Also look for driveways, other sloped areas for load/unload time to reduce the angle. You can even just back it into a curb on a normal street.

My ramp is maybe 6 feet long and I use a milk crate to get the dirt bike in.

or get a trailer..:)

just some thoughts

Cheers
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #73
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

I have thought about all the options to my bed.What else are ya gonna think about when you can't fall asleep at night.
Sheet of 3/4 inch with 2by4 on each side lenght wise bolted thru 3/4 sheet to stiffen/transfer load from tailgate to rest of bed
Long/wide ramp that folds and makes it VERY easy to run the Beemer up and down the ramp.
And of course the tailgate.. (1) added support under tailgate-NO ,700lbs when loading will press the thin painted outer shell of the tailgate into the shape of the support. (2) attach cale on right side of tailgate-NO ,took plastic off back side of tailgate and there is no threaded hole to install bolt .Do I want to drill and tap a new hole in right side? No,it would require a backing plate be installed and am unable to get inside that area. (3) Install hitch adaptor recemended in earlier suggestion to extend plywood beyond tailgate-now I am getting in the $ range of a trailer (hitch adaptor + lumber + ramp).
Looking back at all this thinkin I guess I have not gotten a lot of sleep.
...........Wow,just looked outside and the snow is really coming down now.
So for right now I think I will rent that UHaul trailer even though the darn thing weighs almost as much as my BMW.
If I find that I am renting it a lot I will look into a Harbor Freight 4by8 trailer with the 12in. wheels.Theres a pretty old thread going about their trailers.
Hey thanks everyone,please keep the thread going cause I'm sure there are others with the same questions.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #74
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Just found this:
http://montana.craigslist.org/rvs/2790416035.html

Not sure how close it is to your house but the price seems right.
Hey dirtydeeds (done dirt cheap),I did see that ad...thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #75
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
I have thought about all the options to my bed.What else are ya gonna think about when you can't fall asleep at night.
Sheet of 3/4 inch with 2by4 on each side lenght wise bolted thru 3/4 sheet to stiffen/transfer load from tailgate to rest of bed
Long/wide ramp that folds and makes it VERY easy to run the Beemer up and down the ramp.
And of course the tailgate.. (1) added support under tailgate-NO ,700lbs when loading will press the thin painted outer shell of the tailgate into the shape of the support. (2) attach cale on right side of tailgate-NO ,took plastic off back side of tailgate and there is no threaded hole to install bolt .Do I want to drill and tap a new hole in right side? No,it would require a backing plate be installed and am unable to get inside that area. (3) Install hitch adaptor recemended in earlier suggestion to extend plywood beyond tailgate-now I am getting in the $ range of a trailer (hitch adaptor + lumber + ramp).
Looking back at all this thinkin I guess I have not gotten a lot of sleep.
...........Wow,just looked outside and the snow is really coming down now.
So for right now I think I will rent that UHaul trailer even though the darn thing weighs almost as much as my BMW.
If I find that I am renting it a lot I will look into a Harbor Freight 4by8 trailer with the 12in. wheels.Theres a pretty old thread going about their trailers.
Hey thanks everyone,please keep the thread going cause I'm sure there are others with the same questions.
One more thought for you, look for a used carson or Big TEx single axle trailer. You can get them cheap and fairly small. Much saver than the HF trailer. If you do go with the HF trailer, get a larger set of tires for the trailer, even if you have to put a set of blocks under the axles.

F*CK CANCER