Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #91
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
The 650L on the hitchhauler did not move at all. But I did several mods to make it that way. I installed a hitch stabilizer the keep the 2" channel from moving inside of the receiver and then second I took straps and strapped the bike the the upper parts of the truck. Solid as a rock. I have thought about making one for the GS. If I did, I would use a hitch hauler as a frame to start with and weld in two more 2" channels and have them meet up with two 2" receivers on the truck. I am not worried about the weight that far back because I have airbagged the suspension. Hanging 500+ lbs that far back of the Honda might make for an interesting ride.
You may require wheelie bars for the truck.
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #92
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
So are you back to the Ridgeline? A good choice to start with I think.

Some advantages of the truck route.

No additional storage requirement.
No speed limit problems
Better gas mileage
No trailer empty trailer hassle if you are doing a one way tow.

Of course there are cons too. And a trailer has pluses and a few negatives as well.

Sometimes trailering/trucking makes a lot of sense.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #93
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

I think I will keep an I out on Craigs List and pick up a long/wide ramp.If I have to have something right away for a purchase I will rent a UHaul.Also one of my riding buddies just told me I could use his 3 rail trailer if need be,I was cool about it
Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #94
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I just bought one of these:

http://www.alumaklm.com/single-heavy...-trailers.html

$1900, can haul both of our bikes with ease, and can also haul our ATVs for our annual Dunes trip. Only weighs 610 lbs, and is way easier to load the bikes than in the truck bed. I did the truck bed thing all last summer, only dropped the bike three times while loading. No more...
Old 02-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #95
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Ah yea... you really did go all out on an open trailer,that is heavy duty.What kind of ramp were you using that caused you to dump it 3 times? Oh and is it on YouTube?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #96
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Thankfully it wasn't caught on video.

The first time was unloading it the day I brought it home from the dealership. I didn't know any better, the dealership hadn't warned me, so I didn't have it in gear, thinking the handbrake would hold it on the ramp. Well the front wheel started to slide, it got away from me, and down it went. The second time was a couple of weeks later, I just got a little off track, and it fell off the ramp, wasn't a very hard drop that time, but it went down. Third time was loading it. I was kinda tired, had just loaded my wife's bike, went to load mine, and didn't quite have enough momentum to make it up the ramp and lost it. This was using a set of 7' curved ramps from Home Depot.

I'm 5'7", and weigh in at 140 lbs, so manhandling a 300 lb bike up into a truck bed is tough under the best of circumstances.

This trailer is actually replacing a 2400 lb car hauler trailer that I didn't need any more since I sold the Jeep I used to haul on it. I wanted something as light as possible, but still big enough to fit both bikes and both ATVs.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #97
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Ouch,a brand new bike...what a way to break it in.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #98
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
... So for right now I think I will rent that UHaul trailer even though the darn thing weighs almost as much as my BMW.

If I find that I am renting it a lot I will look into a Harbor Freight 4by8 trailer with the 12in. wheels.Theres a pretty old thread going about their trailers.
So, you found the HF trailer thread. I like mine.

I once rented a U-Haul trailer to get a bike, and at $15 a day with no mileage charge, it was a bargain. However, it had a rear screen gate that doubled as a loading ramp. That gate had enough air resistance to reduce my 4Runner's gas mileage from 20 mpg to 14 mpg on the highway.

The 4Runner pulls my HF folding trailer easily, I don't even notice it's back there. It does not affect the gas mileage at all. The trailer is moved easily by 2 people into and out of my garage, and takes only 2 ft of wall space. YMMV.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #99
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

On the Uhaul wind resistance problem.Just drop the trailer ramp and put some wheeels on it
Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #100
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
I used a Big Tex 5x14 utiltity trailer to haul 2 quads around, it has been to CO from CA many times. You don't need the length so you could do a 5x7 or a 5x10 and have some room. Easily haul three bikes easy to mount hard points to for tying up the bikes (or locking them to the trailer. The ramps come off super easy if you don't want.

OBTW easy to find them on C-list cheap. Axles are cheap to replace on them if you find a real beater.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #101
binksman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Here's the trailer I built from an OLD boat trailer, the frame of a rollup bed cover, and about $50 worth of steel and hardware. I called it my "lite" trailer. The local Cat scales couldn't weigh it, meaning the entire trailer weighed less than 200 lbs. Because I couldn't get it officially weighed, I couldn't get it titled here in PA, so I gave it to my brother in TN where it is legal as is. My brother is actually considering using it tow his wife's dirt bike behind the family's Honda PC800.

It pulled a single bike like a dream. I had my YZF600 on it numerous time and most recently the CR250. When my dad pulled it to TN he had his old XR650 on it with nary a problem for almost 900 miles. If I built it again, I'd mount a rack to the front to bolt a tote or an aluminum box to carry riding gear and basic tools.

That said, most of the time, I just load the bikes in the truck. My Ram 2500 with 33 inch tires and factory HD package sits pretty high, but I've never dropped a bike off the truck or had a tailgate break. For ramps, I have two 10' long 2"x10" boards covered in expanded steel mesh. I've loaded the street bike while it was snowing and still had traction.

binksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #102
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

Home made trailer

Too many straps on the little reb one.Thats a nice build ya got ...or had there.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #103
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
I would buy a trailer, for sure. Mine was used, ~$600:

I had some oak truck-bed decking that I screwed down between the rails, for a nice walking platform. Added a spare tire and a wheeled tongue jack.

I used a utility trailer before, but it was not as easy, and keeping the ramp secure was a challenge (and a loose ramp could do a lot of damage)

Lower load height, and leaves the vehicle bed available for hauling other stuff, probably even improves gas mileage in the truck.

jon_l screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 09:35 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #104
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 210
I picked up one of these for $650 used a few years ago. Very well built. Incredibly light. Light enough that I can pull it behind the lawn mower for yard work. Torsion suspension for smooth towing. Low deck height, coupled with ramp and chock, make for easy one person loading. I added removable sides and use it for other hauling as well. Works so well that I sold my truck and tow it behind a 4 cylinder car. The new ones have a fold-able ramp for better MPG.

Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #105
frogy OP
Studly Adventurer

$650 for that?Was that at the same time while pointing a gun at him? Nice buy,and I bet the wind drag on the lift gate is pretty high.