User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,773
Kitchen Sinks- choose which one?

I'm putting in new granite countertops & will change out the old sink(which is ~20 years old and an expensive cast iron Kohler that still good to go but go is the key word here.
In looking at SS, cast iron & composite, wife likes the black granite composites. Several brands,Elkay,BlancoKraus,Siligranit,Houzer,etc.. They are made of 80% ground up rocks & rest is resin.
In reading reviews thay are ofetn mixed and often something like" I got it ands it's pretty", etc.. One woman poured her hot pasta water in a Blanco & it cracked-has LT wrrty but requires removal of granite to install!

Any experiences to share on this??? Thanks in advance.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
zedx9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
About a year ago we went through this with our new counter tops. The sink I got is: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pegasus-D...RZSK/202022417. It's not bad looking though being black, it requires some additional care periodically to keep it spiffy. After a year, so far so good. I don't have any issues with draining boiling water into it from cooking (pasta, etc.) and it appears to hold up under normal washing of pots and pans. I have even cleaned up some of my cast iron pans in it being careful not to slide them around much. Found out after we had it installed that some friends have the same counter top and sink and love both. Their sink has been in for a couple of years and no issues. The one thing I did do that most people probably won't do or even think about is buy a second sink for a backup. Having an irregular hole cut for this specific sink got me thinking that if the sink manufacturer changes designs years down the road, I'll have a spare sink and not have to have a new counter top cut.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
My wife and I have pragmatic streak for utilitarian things. So, SS would be our first choice, and cast iron second.
We have a Corian counter at the sink with an undermount stainless single bowl sink. Not sure of the brand, but it's much heavier gauge steel than the usual home center stuff. Very easy to clean, impervious to pretty much any insult.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,155
Had this issue with Wife #1 several years ago when doing granite counters. Wife wanted SS, Granite Guy said "Don't, it'll scratch and look like sheeite in a year". We went with a top of the line porcelain over cast iron from CECO. That sink held up very very well.

Fast forward 10 years, buy house 2 with wife 2, and builder had spec'd one of those huuuuuuuuuuuge stainless sinks that looks oh so swanky. Four years in now, it's a mess of scratches.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've been told that if you go SS it should be 16ga not the several lighter gauges. One granite top place I just talked to said they dislike Blanco which has up & down reviews online. He uses Trugranite which I only see sold by MrDirect.com.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 10-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,219
Cast Iron still the best...

We however just purchased a Blanco for our remodel...Granite countertops...will have photos in two weeks if you can wait.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/189...silgranit-sink

Like the look of stainless but it will scratch to hell and back

gsweave screwed with this post 10-09-2014 at 04:21 PM
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
I got a black moenstone (matt black synthetic) sink with the new house build almost 8 years ago. Been holding up very well. Black tends to show deposits, but it always cleans up nice. Not afraid of it. In the right situation, it is fine. Needed black granite to pull it off.

Stainless can be hit and miss. Thin stuff will ALWAYS suck. How you treat it, how you clean it can make the difference between nice looking and total junk.

Enameled cast iron is very nice. But like stainless it is not abuse proof. Stainless can be reworked to give an even finish if scratched but not dented. Cast is good (again avoid the thin stuff) but if you damage the enamel, you are hosed.

The Corian sinks (solid surface materials) do work very well. If the house didn't get the free granite upgrade I would be running a corian style sink.

The bar sink is stainless, I hate cleaning the water spots out of it.

Color is a big key as well. What colors are you looking at?
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,061
I got the Blanco Siligranite installed on my kitchen remodel last year.

Nice sink, looks great, no regrets.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Check

http://www.signaturehardware.com/kitchen.html

Right down in your neck of the woods too. I just bought a new stainless sink from them to replace our 23+ yr old current stainless (only because I'm redoing the kitchen and we wanted a bigger sink) I must either be a slob or oblivious, I've never looked at our current sink and thought " gee that sink sure is scratched up" or " damn let me wipe out those water spots"
crawdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
I like Corian. It wears really well.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
kiwi_outdoors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
slope

whatever you get, make sure the bottom of the sink pan(s) has positive slope to the drain - mine (a big-name brand) does NOT and its trapped under the granite and I can't replace it. :-(

We love our granite - wifey cleans and seals it every 6 months.
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #12
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
Check

http://www.signaturehardware.com/kitchen.html

Right down in your neck of the woods too. I just bought a new stainless sink from them to replace our 23+ yr old current stainless (only because I'm redoing the kitchen and we wanted a bigger sink) I must either be a slob or oblivious, I've never looked at our current sink and thought " gee that sink sure is scratched up" or " damn let me wipe out those water spots"
That is a very expensive place to buy from!
The "farmhouse sinks" are unlike any I ever saw in a farmhouse & I've lived in and been in many-maybe on another planet?
Our shiny porcelin over cast iron Kohler(I bought it from a plumbing wholesaler & was $$$) has served very well for over 15 years-a guess. We use a liner pad in bottom & cook often at home-it doesn't just sit there like many these days, eating out more often than not.
Had a SS before that, never really a problem.Looking at the esthetic of the "granite" sink but want service from it.
The Blanco silgranite mentioned above, often gets poor reviews from many online but did read one comment from a guy that sold them wholesale in quantity for 8+ yrs & said they were problem free. Read whats there & worry I guess.
Picking a granite installer is hard. It's a business that has LOTS of people doing it! I came up with a two pg list of installers/fabricators. No "angies list" in the woods where I live .
Blanco is sold at the "best price by far" online @ www.homeperfect.com live chat there tells me they sell Blanco over all other brands sold if they are asked for a recommendation as no problems & great customer service plus some problems with certain others. Thats our direction for now.

kantuckid screwed with this post 10-10-2014 at 12:30 PM
Old 10-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #13
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
whatever you get, make sure the bottom of the sink pan(s) has positive slope to the drain - mine (a big-name brand) does NOT and its trapped under the granite and I can't replace it. :-(

We love our granite - wifey cleans and seals it every 6 months.
big name brand is?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 563
I purchased a dual-bowl, 33", heavy-gauge SS El-Kay maybe 33 years ago from a plumbing supply place. Still a fine sink. It has a very large main bowl and a small bowl with the disposal unit. Never had any problems washing large pots/pans (we use the dishwasher for most every thing else). Yes, it gets scratches blah, blah. We have very hard water and I did not want to contend with water deposits or scratching/staining of enameled cast iron.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
That is a very expensive place to buy from!
The "farmhouse sinks" are unlike any I ever saw in a farmhouse & I've lived in and been in many-maybe on another planet?
Our shiny porcelin over cast iron Kohler(I bought it from a plumbing wholesaler & was $$$) has served very well for over 15 years-a guess. We use a liner pad in bottom & cook often at home-it doesn't just sit there like many these days, eating out more often than not.
Had a SS before that, never really a problem.Looking at the esthetic of the "granite" sink but want service from it.
The Blanco silgranite mentioned above, often gets poor reviews from many online but did read one comment from a guy that sold them wholesale in quantity for 8+ yrs & said they were problem free. Read whats there & worry I guess.
Picking a granite installer is hard. It's a business that has LOTS of people doing it! I came up with a two pg list of installers/fabricators. No "angies list" in the woods where I live .
Blanco is sold at the "best price by far" online @ www.homeperfect.com live chat there tells me they sell Blanco over all other brands sold if they are asked for a recommendation as no problems & great customer service plus some problems with certain others. Thats our direction for now.
Sorry, can't speak for prices on the other stuff as I was shopping SS. The one I bought from them was 1/3 the cost of similar size Elkay or other name brand, same specs too. Oh yeah, the "farmhouse sinks" crack me up too.
crawdad is online now   Reply With Quote