User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
EricV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Can't get master link clip on

Guys, this is going to be the most embarrassing post I've ever written. For 35 years I've been putting on master links, no issues and have never lost a clip. I've spent weeks reassembling this F'ing Husky. Now please, please forgive my venting...freak thing/blown engine, replaced cases, reassembling bike and I cannot...just cannot...f'ing believe the show stopper after all these months and issues is a God forsaken master link. It's the most amazing thing I've ever experienced- two hours on THIS?? I don't f'ing deserve to ride any longer. At the very least this is a message from God that it's time to toss my helmet in the trash and retire. Ok, done venting. :)

So Its a relatively new chain...about 1K miles on it. I've tried 2 master links- the one I removed and a new one. Same thing- can't press the plate on far enough to get the clip onto the pin grooves. And I mean to tell you I have mashed that plate as far as the chain tool will let me take it...I've gone to using all my strength until the tool won't tighten any more- still no groove grippage. I normally wouldn't go that far, but again can't get to the grooves. It's unlikely both are bad- esp as the one was on there last.

Please, please tell me what I'm missing here. I want to get this thing right so I can take a glorious last ride to the nearest cliff and throw this f'ing bike off.

Again sorry to vent, but after 10 weeks and countless issues the patience is just gone. Thanks guys.
EricV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,778
Not much to help, but I feel your pain.

your rant sounds like one of my own earlier today.

maybe this helps?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749746

it sort of sounds as if you have a mismatched chain and master link, they are not all compatible right?
Old 01-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,548
I usually take a clamp, a small nut, and the o-rings that belong there.

Put the o-rings and the plate where it belongs. Slide the nut over the pin, put your clamp over it, and tighten as far as it will go (without going crazy). This seats the o-rings over the rollers. Remove the clamp, and now you can slide your clip where it belongs.

I usually clean the clip and the plate with some acetone and a small brush (right in the middle), and put a dab of rtv to keep the two in place.

The o-rings will bounce back, and everything should be well.

Hope this helps.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
EricV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Guys- thanks for understanding, really. I sure didn't wanna come off as an ass, but this one has me perplexed. That post/read is good. I'll follow some of those suggestions. I am using a clamp, but no joy. Dunno, I'll be checking for spread of the adjacent plates and such. Good times....

I'll post back. This is a hell of a reality check for a guy who thought he'd seen it all, and after all this labor (and 2K in this engine) I about lost it thinking a fargin' master link is bringing me to my knees. :)
Old 01-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #5
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
$2k on the engine - need $25 more for these tools

I know how you feel and there's a tool for ever job. In this case, you might want to look at two:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...er-link-pliers

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ain-press-tool

After similar struggles - I now have both in the toolbox.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:38 AM   #6
EricV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Thanks for those suggestions. I'm using a motion pro chain breaker- on that you can retract the pin and use the main barrel (hollowed out) to press the plate. Though I know I shouldn't have I've cranked it down, countless times, absolutely as hard/tight as my arms can torque it down- no good. I've used vise-grips to try to hold the plate in place and no good. It's after two a.m., so I figured several hours of this shit and I've gotta admit defeat for today. Turning in for the night dumbfounded and, I suppose, deservedly humbled. As mentioned I've been doing these simple master links for, oh, about 35 years now...always with pliers, vise grips or whatever. Truth be told I'm getting a little paranoid to get back on that bike (and you won't find anyone further removed from superstition than me)- as many barriers as its thrown me in this project I'm thinking they're all messages saying this thing wasn't meant to be resurrected. :) Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and for letting me vent- great site this is. I'll get some different tools and some more masters, make one more go of it and- if that doesn't work- I'll be the first to trailer in a freshly redone bike to a shop to have 'em install a master link. :)
Old 01-17-2015, 12:46 AM   #7
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,778
maybe?

http://www.azusaeng.com/chain/mcyclchn.html
Old 01-17-2015, 05:07 AM   #8
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,606
Side links are interference fit on the pins. If you're using the breaker for a press I'd make sure the force being applied isn't partially pushing the pin out the other side.

I usually use vise grips and 6mm nut, walk on one end at a time.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:03 AM   #9
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,109
Could it be a 525 chain and a 520 master link? They're the same pitch and roller diameter...only the width is different.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #10
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 799
I'm sure you tried this already.... I struggled like you one time, then just flipped over the outside link plate (the one without the pins that goes onto the pins) and it went on easy! I had never realized they have a "right side" and a "wrong side" (or at least on that chain it seemed to)! How frustrating! Good luck!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
51FL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
C-clamp & small socket to squeeze it together, back & forth on each end.
51FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #12
EricV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys. Yeah- the breaker tool is hollowed out to accommodate as a plate press also, and I'm going at it side to side, have flipped the plate...all these things (but again appreciate you taking the time to respond.)

In terms of diff of chain size- that's part of the puzzling thing. I know they're all matched, this reinforced by the fact that one of the masters I'm using is the one that came off. Weird stuff for sure. As mentioned I'll keep tinkering with it today. The bike is now all together- engine hand cycled to distribute the new fluids and all- so I may take a break from the chain and test fire the thing and then go back to the chain issue.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Again I sure appreciate this community.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
EricV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got it. Wish I could say there was a clear issue or magic fix, but I guess it was just one of those things. In hindsight I'm sure it was a matter of my not being able to finagle the right/ constant pressure on the plate to maintain the grooves remaining clear. Vice grips are the sheeet - they deserve their rep.

Thanks again for your patience. Last night, after so many issues these past many weeks, I thought I'd blow an aneurysm when this simple thing presented...for so long.

Have a great weekend gang!
Old 01-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,137

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 799
Glad you finally got it! I often find when I hit a "roadblock" like that, I'll try and try, swear, maybe throw something, swear some more, finally walk away in frustration and sleep on it, then come back to find it resolves simply. Kind of like Einstein solving equations while he slept. Don't know why that works but it seems to.