Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
BrzGSAdv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Pissed Protecting from sea breeze

Folks,

I just realised a dream and moved close to the sea... as a matter of fact... its a beachfront place.

Problem is: my dear GS will now be exposed to strong salty sea breeze!

I know... there's virtually no solution for that... and my mate is going to look older quicker than otherwise... however, are there any tricks for the weekly/bi-weekly washing drill that can help postpone the inevitable sea breeze effects over metal?

I was hoping to find something I can spray on top of everything, from plastic to metal parts and can at least create some form of protective coating.

Granted: WD40 is a great product but dries out plastic parts, tubes, etc... so I am looking at something else.

I use a high-presurre jet to spray clean the bike.. maybe there's something I can mix to the water...

Thanks y'all!
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
BrzGSAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,599
A lot of our Brit cousins like ACF-50.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 9,867
Fluid Film.
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,462
Do you trust seafarers? Google Salt-Away.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 848
ACF 50 or the Boeing product I believe its called Boeshield.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,509
Check out 303 Protectant as an alternative to WD-40 and Armor-All for plastic and vinyl parts. It won't dry stuff out. Used it on a soft top for a Jeep-type vehicle for 10 years, still looked great when I sold it.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
BrzGSAdv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Thanks

Thanks all for helping out... I will look for these... hard time will be finding them in Brazil!!! We are all about caipirinhas.. not as good in motorcycling supplies!!! :)
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
BrzGSAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,964
Crc 3-36

Here is the product that did the best in a Finewoodworking test of about 20 different chemicals. http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Multi-Purp...pr_product_top Much to my surprise, WD-40 did quite well in their test. Their test was a relatively short term test (10 days) on cast iron and A2 tool steel. There was significant corrosion on their untreated samples.

Be careful to avoid any getting of these materials near the brakes or tires.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,444
I always used WD40 on my boat engines/motorcycle engines etc when I stored them. It always worked great.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,103
Silicone spray is pretty good for simply displacing water. Don't spray it on the seat or tires, obviously...

Can you buy one of those little bike shelter things?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Another ACF-50 fan here. Top tip: paint it on with a brush. A little goes along way.

And only ever use cold water to wash your bike - salt likes heat.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
Sea breeze or storm scenario? If it's not blowing hard enough to pick up salt water off the surface and dump it on your bike it's a non issue. Just cause you live on or near the beach don't meean zip. It's only an issue if you're close enough to actually get salt water splashed on your stuff. I've lived on a small island for 20+years. I'm prolly 100 meters from the waters edge so direct storm spray isn't an issue but the entire island is pretty much constantly engulfed in a sea breeze/wind. My stuff doesn't rust any faster or worse here than when I lived 400 miles farther inland. Granted if your stuff is getting wet from direct salt spray you may want to move it leeward of the house or preferably put it IN a building. You're humidity in Brazil is going to be a bigger rust factor than a light breeze. Spritz/spray on your choice band-aides and be prepared to clean up the residual mess. Salt water spray sucks for sure but the "salt air breeze" environment cause you live near the ocean being harmful is BS.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
Sea breeze or storm scenario? If it's not blowing hard enough to pick up salt water off the surface and dump it on your bike it's a non issue. Just cause you live on or near the beach don't meean zip. It's only an issue if you're close enough to actually get salt water splashed on your stuff. I've lived on a small island for 20+years. I'm prolly 100 meters from the waters edge so direct storm spray isn't an issue but the entire island is pretty much constantly engulfed in a sea breeze/wind. My stuff doesn't rust any faster or worse here than when I lived 400 miles farther inland. Granted if your stuff is getting wet from direct salt spray you may want to move it leeward of the house or preferably put it IN a building. You're humidity in Brazil is going to be a bigger rust factor than a light breeze. Spritz/spray on your choice band-aides and be prepared to clean up the residual mess. Salt water spray sucks for sure but the "salt air breeze" environment cause you live near the ocean being harmful is BS.
Strange. When I lived near the sea, the salt in the air used to eat car bodies. It also used to effect lots of other things too; metals, stone, even paint. It doesn't have to be a storm just a windy day and it'll get on everything same as dust and dirt does.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,417
Yes, apart from living a large part of my life in Auckland where you are never far from water, I spent 10 years on a island off Auckland. We were 2 or 300 metres back from the cliff top, and you could lick the windows and taste the salt. Everything rusted - I went there with a nice pushbike, came back to the mainland 10 years later and threw it in the rubbish. I still have a bike I had over there, and am going over it now to put back on the road, it will never be a restoration because everything will need to be repainted and replated, and some stuff replaced. Bikes in constant use seemed to be ok, but let it sit for a few months and the corrosion sets in.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #15
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,875
Might check out Silkolene Proprep.