User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #1
Buster452 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Spring rubbers to increase spring rate?

So, racers use spring rubbers to change the spring rates of their springs for race-day adjustements to their suspension.

http://www.steelerubber.com/2-5-inch...-spring-rubber

Could the same be done with our rear shocks to increase spring rate without having to rebuild or buy a new shock?

In particular, I'm on a super tenere and looking for a way to increase spring rate until I save my pennies to get a new shock.

Buster
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #2
jeiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Unless it is actually threaded on between coils and begins to bind a couple, it seems like it would just raise the ride height. But it looks like it would just stack on top of the spring. That wouldn't change the spring rate.
jeiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #3
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,583
It can work. Just takes a coil and jams it nearly solid. Spring rate goes up by 1/(the number of coils in the spring)-(what little give there is in the rubber).
Those spacers work on a specific spring coil spacing. Do you have that spacing? If so they will work. If not the results will vary even more. More gap? That could lead the spring into acting as a 2-stage variable rate when the coil hits the rubber. Less spacing? Now it is a solid lift spacer.

So is it the perfect fix? Probably not. Will it make changes, I am sure it will. Will it even fit? Diameter looks right but have no idea if it will stay in place as you ride. Will it damage anything? Probably not but it could.

Try if you like, be prepared to call defeat if they fail. But maybe they will do you good.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #4
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
You can do that. However, you are talking about spring rate versus damping and, they are totally different....if that is what you mean by the shock rebuild. If you need a shock rebuild, you may very well make your problem worse.
74C5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #5
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
You don't have to rebuild your shock to swap out the spring for the proper rate.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:02 AM   #6
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
A racetech spring looks to be about $120.00 USD, and then you have done it right.

Note, I don't have an opinion about racetech one way or another about racetech, it was easy to look up.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...%20Tenere/2012

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:00 PM   #7
Buster452 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Ok, a full rebuild isn't necessary , but taking the shock apart is. That seems a bit more complex than what you want to do under a shade tree. I picture tools I don't have a spring turned projectile.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old Today, 12:43 PM   #8
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,253
Autozone et al will rent spring compressors for free.

Spring rubbers are a legitimate way to make temporary changes for test and tune sessions, different applications, or running with/without a passenger.

I wouldn't use them as a permanent solution on a bike, especially with the comparatively low cost of made to spec springs.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #9
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeiff View Post
Unless it is actually threaded on between coils and begins to bind a couple, it seems like it would just raise the ride height. But it looks like it would just stack on top of the spring. That wouldn't change the spring rate.
That's what it looks like to me, too.

I've used spring rubbers on a car, and they worked fine for the application. I used some zip ties to keep them from bouncing out, since I was going to be towing a heavy trailer on a multi-hundred-mile trip.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote