Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #1126
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Since you are the thread OP, you can edit the first post. Why not change the first post to be an index into the best existing posts for the ones you most often repeat. You can refer to those by name and add whatever else is needed for a specific question. The how to choose a LiFeO4 could be linked there also. Should also contain links to the testing you and Joel have done. You are right, this is a great resource. I've learned a lot
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #1127
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,800
for some reason forum software is not allowing quotes ..

KTM 1190/990 are restricted by battery tray size. yet still have large engines to support. like I've written about a jillion times already .. a 5AH actual battery is not big enough. this is where EarthX ETX36 (14AH) has a huge advantage in terms of small case size that fits 1190/990 and still deliver a robust AH capacity for all weather reliability.

LiFePO4 batteries made of 10AH and 15AH cells will be very robust but still have size limitations. if you've got a dead battery case that fit's 1190 .. provided cells will all fit ... scoop it out and use 4x 10AH cells in series inside with straps that uses original battery terminals.

don't worry about cell balancing for home made LiFePO4 batteries. worry more about robust straps that will survive 200amp+ continuous loads. most importantly protecting those internal buss from dead shorts.

-----------------

Hi CY_

Ill just throw some examples in here. My project bike will be 1190cc and ofcourse needs a fitting batteri option. I would like to go lifePo. Denmark/Scandinavia or just northeren Europe can be chilly at times and i wont use the Lifepo option if it wont do the job.
We dont get the Earth-X option which seems to be the trick.

Can i use or make my own batteri from some of these? I of course respect if you dont want to use the time on searching, but im lost in this World.
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i-tecc/m.html...p2047675.l2562
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #1128
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETTHUMPER2 View Post
That's an easy one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just use the largest LiFePo4 that will fit in the tray,,,,,,,,,,,,because you never know when the extra AH's will be the difference between riding and walking. LOL
Just "funnin", as always, thankx for all your very thorough and thoughtful hard work on this.
THUMPER
thanks ... believe it or not I wrote that exact line quite a ways back and have used it repeatedly. thank goodness it's catching on all over ..

"just use the largest LiFePo4 that will fit in the tray,,,,,,,,,,,,because you never know when the extra AH's will be the difference between riding and walking.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:36 AM   #1129
Ste7ios
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
2.5 months Ballistic 12-Cell Report...

After 2.5 months this is the status of my Ballistic (4S) battery:

13.65 V - 3.29V 3.43 V 3.41 V 3.43 V

The first series are unbalanced (it was from 1st day).

I discharged it down to 12.25 V (3.26 V 3.08 V 3.09 V 3.09V - 4,386 mAh - 10:58h) and then balanced it. (14.39 V 3.60V 3.59 V 3.59 V 3.60 V 3.60 V - 6,362 mAh - 9:51h).

I wonder if this is enough for a warranty claim...

Also an engine start drops the voltage by 0.14 V (13.65 V from 13.79 V). Is it possible to calculate the percentage of capacity drop or the amperage? As I know Peukert's law and other PbCa math are useless here...

I'm afraid the only way is a meter like Doc Wattson...
Ste7ios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #1130
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7ios View Post
After 2.5 months this is the status of my Ballistic (4S) battery:

13.65 V - 3.29V 3.43 V 3.41 V 3.43 V

The first series are unbalanced (it was from 1st day).

I discharged it down to 12.25 V (3.26 V 3.08 V 3.09 V 3.09V - 4,386 mAh - 10:58h) and then balanced it. (14.39 V 3.60V 3.59 V 3.59 V 3.60 V 3.60 V - 6,362 mAh - 9:51h).

I wonder if this is enough for a warranty claim...

Also an engine start drops the voltage by 0.14 V (13.65 V from 13.79 V). Is it possible to calculate the percentage of capacity drop or the amperage? As I know Peukert's law and other PbCa math are useless here...

don't worry about voltage drop that small during starting .. I've seen voltage drops below 9.5v during 200amp continuous cranking tests.

it's completely normal for a quick drop from full charge voltage of 14.6v down to 13.3v. then discharge voltage will flatten out down for almost entire discharge cycle.

your Ballistic has balance ports which allow balancing for each series. but not for individual cells. this is where quality control for battery selection comes into play. all 12cells needs to match closely .. as cell count goes up it becomes more difficult.

are voltages above from a resting state overnight after a full charge to 14.6v? have you balanced charged your Ballistic battery yet?

you can also do a series to moderate discharge/charge cycles to help balance out cells. note rapid voltage drop from 14.6v to 13.3 represents about 10% of AH capacity. then voltages for all cells narrows .. you can take advantage of this natural narrowing of voltages. this could be defined as a form of self balancing. if you repeat this discharge/charge cycle cells will slowly balance. but note this will not balance severely out of balance batteries.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #1131
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
I like that little meter.

It is unfortunate it cannot be installed into the vehicle's wiring system for on-board monitoring.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #1132
Ste7ios
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
don't worry about voltage drop that small during starting .. I've seen voltage drops below 9.5v during 200amp continuous cranking tests.
That's what I'm thinking about! :)

Quote:
are voltages above from a resting state overnight after a full charge to 14.6v? have you balanced charged your Ballistic battery yet?
Yes, more than 17 hours.

Quote:
if you repeat this discharge/charge cycle cells will slowly balance. but note this will not balance severely out of balance batteries.
The battery was unbalanced from the beginning, that's why I wonder if I may file a warranty claim... It is severe, isn't it?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #1133
Ste7ios
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Rider View Post
I like that little meter.

It is unfortunate it cannot be installed into the vehicle's wiring system for on-board monitoring.
I believe you can. It has a clever way to tolerate with bike's amperage. But I've to confirm it with the manufacturer first...
Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #1134
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

here's a post from David Gray one of the most knowledgeable battery guru in America. from this thread post #181 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...757934&page=13

-------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_
@write2dgray .. thanks so much for joining this set of tests. As a matter of fact there is something that we need your expertise on.

No problem - happy to help and my apologies for the delay. A hectic product release schedule has had me away from emails and forums lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_
question is ... by charging only to 13.8v like BMW R800GS ... does lower volt charging systems (13.8v) increase chances for out of balance cells?

The concept of balancing should never enter the equation at lower than a full charge state. In other words, being out of balance at voltages less than full is of little to no concern.

To expand: in the past some chargers actively balanced all cells regardless of state of charge (okay, some still do and many have the option). Most now agree to only mess with "balancing" cells to each other at a full state of charge, with the purpose being to bring all cells to an equal full charge state without one or more running away to a higher voltage. The problem with balancing at lower states of charges has to do with how cells are capacity matched prior to pack construction. Think of a series of glasses of water with slightly different volumes all filled to the brim. Now if you drank an equal amount from each glass you would find it takes an equal amount to refill them. However, if you drank an equal amount from each glass and then adjusted the water levels to be the same, then it would require unequal amounts to refill them. This is in effect what cell balancing at lower voltages achieves, unbalanced packs that require the exact opposite balancing action as they near full charge.

Finally, charging to around around 95-98%, which you are at the voltages the alternator provides, will result in a substantial increase in life cycles than trying to perfectly charge to full voltage. This is done any many applications and by many users to extend life where absolute maximum capacity is not critical, by for example setting LiPo max. termination to 4.17V per cell instead of the more typical 4.20V.

Cheers,
Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #1135
DrWez
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 96
Ballistic LiFePO4 batteries - Do not buy

Ballistic Performance Components recommended a 12 cell EVO2 battery for my 2010 BMW R1200 GS Adventure. This battery would not reliably turn my engine over especially when the temperature was lower than 50 F. The dealer arranged a replacement for me to try again. This one too was too weak to crank over my 1200 cc boxer engine.
After speaking with Ballistic, the owner himself replaced my 12 cell battery with the 16 cell battery. This worked ok but still had some problems when the temperature dropped below 35 F.
On a recent long distance trip, the 16 cell battery suddenly failed and would not even turn over my engine. After returning the battery to Ballistic Performance Components, I was told that the battery was full of water and most likely had been submersed in water. The water caused the battery to short out. Now it is useless after 10 months and would not be covered under warranty.
Here is the problem... My 16 cell battery was never submersed in water! In fact my bike was not even washed in this time period. I ride every day rain or shine. The owner could not tell me why the water was in the battery other than it MUST have been submersed in water. I believe that there was a flaw in the plastic housing such as a crack or poor weld that allowed wheel spray into the battery.
How can Ballistic Performance Components sell a product that is advertised as impact and water resistant and that can be mounted in any position for any power sport? Evidently, this battery is not ready for prime time! Do not purchase!
IBA 56882
DrWez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #1136
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
I believe you can. It has a clever way to tolerate with bike's amperage. But I've to confirm it with the manufacturer first...
What concerns me is the 14 gauge cable used in that monitor. It may be short in length, but then so is the OEM factory ground cable which is probably a 6 or 8 gauge cable.

That meter claims 100A...in a 14 gauge cable. Well OK, if they say so.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #1137
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWez View Post
Evidently, this battery is not ready for prime time! Do not purchase!
So much for high tech.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #1138
Ste7ios
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Rider View Post
What concerns me is the 14 gauge cable used in that monitor. It may be short in length, but then so is the OEM factory ground cable which is probably a 6 or 8 gauge cable.

That meter claims 100A...in a 14 gauge cable. Well OK, if they say so.
According to the manual, it can handle 50 A continuous and 100 A peak. But 14 AWG is only for 15 A. I'm not sure what's going on here...
Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #1139
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
[QUOTE=_cy_;23481057]here's a post from David Gray one of the most knowledgeable battery guru in America. from this thread post #181 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...757934&page=13

Wow, one of the most knowledgeable battery gurus in America ?
I need to meet this guy. Odd that I have not run across him in my 20+ years in the lead-acid industry, but I am guessing he doesn't deal with lead-acid at all.
AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:22 AM   #1140
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer: 308
Ballistic Battery Failure

Anyone having trouble with Ballistic Batteries , I have tried 3 so far, the first 2 failed from poor cell connections after the cells came loose in the case ( they rattled) the last one caught fire , managed to pull it from the bike then it's slowly self destructed one cell at a time with lots of fizzing blanketing the suburb with a green tinged smoke.

Happy I wasn't traversing the driest continent at the world

Xr650r
KX450F x2

J_B screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 04:41 AM
J_B is offline   Reply With Quote