Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,387
It should work out for the best but Dang breaking up is painful.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #17
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Thanks for the effort. And I'm thinking the non airhead old bike guys are happy to be done with us messing up the old school forum.

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post

You're gonna miss us and ya know it.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
thanks for the effort guys

Is there an easy way to get an airhead thread moved to the new forum? Can I just click the report button on the first page rather than sending you a PM?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #20
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Can I just click the report button on the first page rather than sending you a PM?
Both ways work. If you send a PM, please include a link to the thread instead of saying something like "Gary's thread about his uncle's bike, I think it's on page 3 or so".

If you click report post, the link is inserted automagically.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #21
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Both ways work. If you send a PM, please include a link to the thread instead of saying something like "Gary's thread about his uncle's bike, I think it's on page 3 or so".

If you click report post, the link is inserted automagically.
Yep. This seems to be working great. We really appreciate the pointers we get.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #22
Sunbeem
Enfant du Paradis.

Oddometer: 150
I'm new, I'm old, but I'm not so cool.

Adventures? God's bottom! Of course I've had adventures, I used to seek them out - before realising that putting salt and pepper on a curry was to miss the point. Now I find that adventure is inevitable, inescapable, and I simply try and survive it.

It's merely a matter of scale. Where once I needed to be risking life and limb in the most obvious manner possible, I now find that with vertebrae like a stack of broken biscuits, a walk down the garden to the compost heap involves the risk of only making it to the bottom of the garden, to join the mouldering weeds and rotting apples of last Autumn in a heaming screap.
That's adventure for you. That's bloody adventure.

I've spent much of 2014 on my back, gazing at the foulness of a Yorkshire winter through the skylight above my bed, and thinking I wasn't missing much, but I've been up on my hind legs for a few weeks now. I'm doing the exercises, I can walk for nearly an hour, and the swallows are back in my valley. So - what next.

Outside the kitchen door my '78 BMW R100 RS sits, it's clock ticking off yet another year, during which I've been out on it two or three times, and though I love it with a passion more than common, or because of it, I know it's getting bored with me.

Horizons are a funny thing, I'm learning that. It's not something you learn from books. I visit an old guy in a care home, who travels from his room to a lounge down a short corridor, and then back. He used to be Chief Engineer on an oil tanker so vast that the crew used bicycles to get around. The world was his to roam as Texaco directed, now his walking frame enables voyages measured in yards. And it's the lucky ones that get old, I've known many good ones that won't. There's a lesson for me here, and in order to learn it, I went to Ebay.

Abandoning dreams of riding the RS to Andalucia, I've come down a few cc's, and a few miles, and plan on exploring the smaller roads around the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District and Morecambe Bay on a Yamaha XT 350. The trailer I built for my last journey to Andalucia will accompany me to Hampshire in a couple of days time, carrying back my new purchase, and just like the old days, another for spares. I'll likely need some help with an unfamiliar machine, and hope to find it here.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Sunbeem.
Sunbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #23
Lornce
Lost In Place

Sunbeam.

I'll look forward to your additions if this introduction is an indication of your sensibilities.

All the best to you in your recovery and future travels.

Lornce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeem View Post
Adventures? God's bottom! Of course I've had adventures, I used to seek them out - before realising that putting salt and pepper on a curry was to miss the point. Now I find that adventure is inevitable, inescapable, and I simply try and survive it.

It's merely a matter of scale. Where once I needed to be risking life and limb in the most obvious manner possible, I now find that with vertebrae like a stack of broken biscuits, a walk down the garden to the compost heap involves the risk of only making it to the bottom of the garden, to join the mouldering weeds and rotting apples of last Autumn in a heaming screap.
That's adventure for you. That's bloody adventure.

I've spent much of 2014 on my back, gazing at the foulness of a Yorkshire winter through the skylight above my bed, and thinking I wasn't missing much, but I've been up on my hind legs for a few weeks now. I'm doing the exercises, I can walk for nearly an hour, and the swallows are back in my valley. So - what next.

Outside the kitchen door my '78 BMW R100 RS sits, it's clock ticking off yet another year, during which I've been out on it two or three times, and though I love it with a passion more than common, or because of it, I know it's getting bored with me.

Horizons are a funny thing, I'm learning that. It's not something you learn from books. I visit an old guy in a care home, who travels from his room to a lounge down a short corridor, and then back. He used to be Chief Engineer on an oil tanker so vast that the crew used bicycles to get around. The world was his to roam as Texaco directed, now his walking frame enables voyages measured in yards. And it's the lucky ones that get old, I've known many good ones that won't. There's a lesson for me here, and in order to learn it, I went to Ebay.

Abandoning dreams of riding the RS to Andalucia, I've come down a few cc's, and a few miles, and plan on exploring the smaller roads around the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District and Morecambe Bay on a Yamaha XT 350. The trailer I built for my last journey to Andalucia will accompany me to Hampshire in a couple of days time, carrying back my new purchase, and just like the old days, another for spares. I'll likely need some help with an unfamiliar machine, and hope to find it here.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Sunbeem.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #24
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
Sounds like the beginning of a book. Love your style!

Welcome to the forum, and looking forward to future posts.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #25
lpfm1990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Can someone kindly tell what the heck is an airhead (and don't say a blonde in a mini skirt, lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - let it snow finally
lpfm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:38 AM   #26
Sunbeem
Enfant du Paradis.

An Airhead is an aircooled engine Ipfm1990.
What's an iPhone?

And thanks for the welcome Lornce and Wirespokes - nice to be here.

Sunbeem.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #27
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Sunbeem! Where ya been? Glad to hear you are still with us.

People, Sunbeem is a treat and an enhancement to life wherever he goes.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:18 AM   #28
Sunbeem
Enfant du Paradis.

Hello there Mel, how very delightful to hear from you again, (and thanks for the appreciative comment - I'm hoping my red face will pass as sunburn).
BB also asked about my recent activities, and like the man who couldn't remember why he'd joined the Foreign Legion, rescuing memories from the past becomes increasingly difficult as time passes. Fortunately memory is strangely selective, and only those events which can be twisted to resound to my credit emerge from the mist.

I had a lovely jaunt to Spain, with my blacksmithing gear in a specially built trailer, and what an education it was.Spain is in an unimaginable mess, worse by far now than in 2010, and if Catalonia separates from the rest, it may float, but the rest will probably sink - maybe reverting to the Peseta and leaving the EU.

I did some house repairs and made a set of mule panniers - beyond that, zilch. Accommodation was problematic, and prospects of employment truly grim. Men with real metalwork skills were "happy" to get any kind of menial work, only to find themselves undercut by the next guy trying to break into the game. Although one good client can keep me going for a year, the top end of the architectural ironwork market was not stirring at all. I came back before getting permanently stuck, and hung up my hammer.

Since then, I've been working with a charity that sends tools to small collectives in Africa. The trailer stood in the car park of a local Quaker Meeting House, and I collected tools and sewing machines in the surrounding district, taking it to our depot in the Lake District when full.

There's a piece of brown cotton cloth tucked into the RS's fairing, it was wrapped around a set of wood chisels, given by an old guy who explained that it was once his father's shirt, issued by the local mine, in which his dad used to dig coal. Just one of many memorable incidents - my spine is too unreliable for such work at present, but I wouldn't have missed my involvement with tfsr.org for the world.

I've also had an enjoyable excursion into wood-turning, a friend lent me his lathe, and I explored the minimal distinction between producing shavings and shrapnel -- my kitchen is now replete with small objects of uncertain purpose, made from large beautiful hunks of wood. Trees now quiver as I pass by.

So yesterday the trailer made what may be it's final trip with me, before going to the local farmer's auction mart.
Down to Hampshire (near the south coast, around the middle) and a couple of XT 350's were lashed aboard.
Birmingham is hard to avoid on any trip south, and a truck had overturned, spilt it's diesel, and set a large area of motorway ablaze. As a result, a 600 mile round trip took me 16 hours in my "new" '06 Honda Accord, the performance of which simply astounds me after my trusty but slow old Citroen Berlingo. I can even ask the sat-nav the age old question "Are we nearly there yet," and the lady under the dashboard never tires of telling me.

Much of the rest of my time has been spent trying to get my head around the implications inherent in quantum physics, and exploring the many similarities with ancient philosophies. Fritjof Capra started that for me in the Eighties, and my view of the world is now sufficiently unrecognisable to most of my contemporaries to mark me out as completely bonkers.
So I'm in interesting company there!

So - time to take a look at my new arrivals, and see what I've got myself into ....
All the best to you and Big Bamboo -- what's happening in your respective neck of the woods?

Sunbeem.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #29
Lornce
Lost In Place

Sunbeam,
Where in Yorkshire are you?
Eh'up,
Lornce
Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #30
Sunbeem
Enfant du Paradis.

Low Bentham Lornce, that's LA2 7EP.
Or if you're a Druid, I'm just off the Belinus Line in the Dale of Wen.
You can't miss it.

Sunbeem.