User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Off to Alaska

Well after monthe of wrenching, modifying, fixing things that weren't broken, and some that were, I'm finally off to Alaska!

My souped up DR650, Wolfman ensemble, Garmin Montana, MX Rob carb, Sasquatch suspension! Mefo tires, etc, we (me and machine) are really doing it.

Originally the plan was to leave yesterday but work got too busy so today was it. When I went to bed last night, I thought I was ready to depart at 8, and put on about 600 miles, but no! At the last minute I remembered to load my waypoints and route into the Montana only to find out it needed an update, add 1 hour. Then I had trouble loading my route, and when the route was transfered, it goes as the crow flies, not by roads, add another hour. Have not yet figured that out so if someone has the secret, do share.

Get to the garage for the last look at my loaded bike, looks like too much, add another hour.

Next thing I know I'm leaving at 1:00, good thing I have a whole month and no tight schedule.

In the first 60 miles, I probably pulled over 3 or 4 times to make sure I had this or that, check the straps, and check them again, figure out how to reset the trip computer on the Montana, add another hour.

It was fairly windy and hot for the first part so kept it between 70 and 75. Later after the rain and temp drop of 30 degrees, I ran 75-80. I found the bike to be pretty thirsty, getting about 30 as far as I can guesstimate. I have a Safari tank the Sharpie marks on the side for a guage. Since it holds 9 gallons, I was not filling it up for best accuracy so It's a guesstimate.

At dusk and feeling like running into the night, it started raining again so I decided to call it in Bismarck ND, racking up 421 miles and feeling good!

Now i plug my camera memory card into the iPad to start sharing pics but the iPad claims the device draws too much power and won't let it work?

So for now I'll just journal my experiences and hope to add pictures later. If anyone can help me get pics from my card to iPad so I can share, let me know.

Looking forward to spending a couple or three days at D2D! Also would like to get offroad up there so if anyone going for the rally knows some tracks, let me know!

All for now, ride safe!
Joevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevano View Post
Now i plug my camera memory card into the iPad to start sharing pics but the iPad claims the device draws too much power and won't let it work?

So for now I'll just journal my experiences and hope to add pictures later. If anyone can help me get pics from my card to iPad so I can share, let me know.
When I use my camera card, I plug the card into the converter before I plug the converter into the ipad. I plug the converter into the ipad before I turn the ipad on. When I turn the ipad on, the ipad reads the camera card and let's me import the picture.

Good luck on your trip.

Jim L.
ipaqpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

Road closure in Canada.
Alaska and Canada highway agencies reported Friday that the Klondike Highway -- the road from Skagway to Canada -- was closed because of avalanches between the U.S.-Canada border and Carcross, Yukon.
Washouts on the Alaska Highway in Canada have resulted in closures between Junction 37 and Teslin, on the southern end of the Yukon Territory, and between Haines Junction and Destruction Bay.
It wasn't immediately clear just how long the closures will remain in effect, though the department expects the closures on the Alaska Highway to last at least through the weekend.

Good luck

Jim L.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,504
Good Luck Joe!
GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
flabre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I'll be riding with you in spirit...and I hope you get the picture thing figured out.
flabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,737
Good luck on your adventure Joe! We met at a BMW club meeting and you mentioned your Alaska trip. I'll be following this thread closely.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Daggy
Wondering ...

Oddometer: 986
Have a good time Joe!
Make sure and stop once in awhile to let it all soak in.
Remember to tip the waitresses well.
Daggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
Airhead Steve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Subscribed!
Have a great trip!

Steve
Airhead Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Sounds like a blast. Have fun, and I hope they get the roads sorted out for you.
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Yesterday started out rough. 30-35 MPH crosswinds were really a challenge when passing semi's. Left Mandan with my fleece under the 'Stich and had to stop and add long johns.

Riding into that wind I only went up to 65 and mileage was about 30.

At Glendive I got off 94 and headed north to 2. The fun riding started on the two lane.

Ended up my day 509 miles farther in Havre MT.

Got a cable for my camera but now having trouble uploading from iPad to Smugmug. Once that is sorted out I'll put my pics there.

Later!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?otxwdp
Joevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
Joe,

Have an awesome ride...it will be the trip of your life! BTW, if you figure a way to easily upload pics from your iPad to SmugMug, do tell!

Be safe, and looking forward to your report!

Steve
Old 06-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
revtech100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
D2d

If your in Dawson city Yukon next weekend stop by for the non rally.
2011 Kawasaki 110, 2013 Ural Gear Up
revtech100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Hey Joe,

Lookin fwd to seeing some of your photos when you get the tech difficulties sorted. Heard on the news this morning that the Alaska Hwy between Watson Lake and Teslin has re-opened with a section or two of single-lane, alternating traffic. Seeya soon!

http://www.511yukon.ca/map/map0A.html

~GIS
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

Weather map shows rain west of Helena

JL
Old 06-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #15
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevano View Post
30-35 MPH crosswinds were really a challenge when passing semi's.
Your getting close to what it feels like to be a butterfly in a hurricane. Make sure your checking your oil level.

Ride Safe!
daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote