Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
EetsOK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Japanese Tsunami Harley-I have a question.

I just found these pictures of the Japanese tsunami HD partially buried in the shoreline. Now according tot he report of the person who found it, it was inside a shipping container. What's up with this? I sure does look like the same Softail complete with S&S style air cleaner.

In the shore line:

In "as claimed" found condition, inside container:

Excerpt from article:
" A beachcomber named Peter Mark was exploring a secluded stretch of sand on the Haida Gwaii islands in British Columbia when he came upon a large white cube that resembled the back of a large moving van submerged in the water just under the high tide mark. Since the door of the cube had come ajar, it allowed the contents of the truck to peek through and Mark found a motorcycle tire sticking out. The unexpected discovery led the curious gentleman to explore further who found that the vehicle in question was in fact a Harley-Davidson. The bike was rusted throughout, more so on the handlebars and the wheels, though the iconic bike maker’s badge on the fuel tank was still intact and enough to recognize it.
Upon further investigation, Mark discovered that the license plate had Japanese lettering on it and that the tags on the wall of the trailer too had a Japanese print. This immediately forced Mark to wonder whether the bike was a part of the debris washed into the sea when the tsunami struck the sea. After exploring the container further, Mark found some camping gear, tools and a few golf clubs lying loose at the bottom of the floor. What defies logic in the whole scene is how the stuff managed to stay inside the container despite the crack since nothing was strapped down inside."

So what's up with the pictures of the same HD partially buried in the sandy shore line? Why does the bike in the sand not have the HD badge on the tank but has identical rust and damage to rear fender? The license plate is also bent in a similar manner.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Niles
Riding >> Typing

Oddometer: 23
Oh, let me google that for you:
:)
http://www.jsonline.com/business/tsu...175708661.html

From the article
"The Night Train was a mess, especially after it washed out of the container onto the beach where it lay partially covered in sand for three weeks after the beachcomber discovered it. With every high tide, the bike was exposed to saltwater. Its condition deteriorated rapidly, said Kristen Jones, senior curator at the museum."

Cool story. What are the chances?
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
EetsOK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles View Post
Oh, let me google that for you:
:)
http://www.jsonline.com/business/tsu...175708661.html

From the article
"The Night Train was a mess, especially after it washed out of the container onto the beach where it lay partially covered in sand for three weeks after the beachcomber discovered it. With every high tide, the bike was exposed to saltwater. Its condition deteriorated rapidly, said Kristen Jones, senior curator at the museum."

Cool story. What are the chances?
Then why did the guy who found it claim he saw the rear tire poking out of the storage container?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
No real idea

Finder(s) attempted to remove it but gave up when the front wheel fell apart so it stayed on the beach a while?
Facts always end up ruining a good story, we probably don't want to know.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 458
I can't speak to the 'container' bike, but from articles I've seen, but have no clue where they are to link to, that isn't the only one (motorcycle) found. The amount of crap showing up has been not only enormous but not reported on. Most of the pages I read while cruising the web said that the result of all of the crap washed to sea in that tsunami is going to create a disaster on the Alaska coastline that will make the Valdez look like a non-event along with creating an almost non-stop flow of debris up and down the west coast.

That was my 357th post.... nice.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
If I'd found that the first thing I'd do is try and find the owner. If found I'd restore and return it to them.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
If I'd found that the first thing I'd do is try and find the owner. If found I'd restore and return it to them.
"Restoration" on that bike would consist of taping the tank emblem to a new model and calling it restored.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,383
Thanks for the link, I was looking for the end of that story recently.

Got to wonder now if they will dip it in "Salt Away" to stabilize it.Had to buy such product for my bike re: our salted Kootenay roads.

They are halfway there with the plexi box, maybe they should get the "Fish Tank Kings" involved and build a proper display.

The HD badge, interesting I noticed that also back then. I just assumed it fell off and was laying somewhere close then they re-installed it.Hot Melt glue????
Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
simmersonwheels
Asleep at Switch

Oddometer: 114
Actually, they found the owner.

It belonged to a young Japanese guy. Harley distributor offered to completely restore the thing FOC, and return it to the owner. (Which is code for replace every part, I guess)
The owner thought about it, and in light of the tragedies and lives lost in the disaster decided that the bike should remain as is.
Last I heard it was going to end up in a museum or memorial about the disaster.
That said, if it was a Yamaha it would have fired right up and you could have driven it home
simmersonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Then why did the guy who found it claim he saw the rear tire poking out of the storage container?
Because it was in the container when he last saw it. By the time people got out there to recover it the container had broken apart and washed away with the tide. Supposedly it was a remote beach so thieves weren't a problem, IIRC.

Here's his original video. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ada-beach.html

Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786354
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,376
last I heard, Bike in museum and the moco giving homeboy a new Ride.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: