User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
DakarMoto OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Interphone F5 - rider to rider Comms

Hi has anyone had any experience with the Interphone F5 my intended use is offload rider to rider, my mate and I are entered into a rally it would be useful also for training and trail rides. attend use is less the 1km distance and up to 3-4 riders ? or is there other products that I should be looking at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
DakarMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
Simplyred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Yes. I would wait just a little and look at the Scala G9 comming out soon. It has tons of rider-to-rider / rider-to-group features that might be interesting for you, and it won't have the deficiencies that the G4 had (small buttons etc etc).
With regards to the Interphone product: it also offers FM/RDS just as Scala. I wonder if it also sucks that much as the FM/RDS from Scala does. Which makes me believe a lot of this is marketing and will probably disappoint you in some level in daily use. Just as the other brands show.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarMoto View Post
Hi has anyone had any experience with the Interphone F5 my intended use is offload rider to rider, my mate and I are entered into a rally it would be useful also for training and trail rides. attend use is less the 1km distance and up to 3-4 riders ? or is there other products that I should be looking at.

Take a look at the BlueAnt. I'm quite happy with mine, and there is a new stereo model now.
A
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 1,726
Thumb

I've owned the original BlueAnt Interphone and I currently use the BlueAnt Interphone F4, both of the devices have worked as advertised with the primary benefit of upgrading to the F4 being that it supports A2DP stereo so I can listen to music.

The Interphone F5 is the next generation BlueAnt Interphone device, BlueAnt recently sold it's motorcycle Interphone division to Cellularline in Italy. From what I see the big benefits of the F5 (over the F4) is that it supports Bluetooth 3.0 has the ability accept a 3.5mm plug and has a built-in FM tuner.

This unit has recently been announced but not yet hit the market (spring release), if you have an F4 and like it but could use any of the additional features then this would probably make a nice upgrade. I'll be getting one.

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.

JetSpeed screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 08:43 AM
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
ktmrider01
l33t rider

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I've owned the original BlueAnt Interphone and I currently use the BlueAnt Interphone F4, both of the devices have worked as advertised with the primary benefit of upgrading to the F4 being that it supports A2DP stereo so I can listen to music.

The Interphone F5 is the next generation BlueAnt Interphone device, BlueAnt recently sold it's motorcycle Interphone division to Cellularline in Italy. From what I see the big benefits of the F5 (over the F4) is that it supports Bluetooth 3.0 has the ability accept a 3.5mm plug and has a built-in FM tuner.

This unit has recently been announced but not yet hit the market (spring release), if you have an F4 and like it but could use any of the additional features then this would probably make a nice upgrade. I'll be getting one.
For US guys: Revzilla has the Interphone F5 listed, but no pricing information. I gave them a ring and they said it has not been released in the US yet, but that they should have finalized pricing soon and expect to see the product arrive by March

I would also look at the SENA SMH10 units, a lot of folks have had good experience with it

ktmrider01 screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 08:00 AM Reason: adding info
ktmrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Iball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Can the boom mike be disconnected from the main unit?
I'd like to be able to listen to music and the GPS however I do not use a phone when I ride or drive, period.
I like the 3.5mm jack though...been looking for something like this for a while. Currently I use a Chatterbox with the CB bluetooth module hooked up to an iPod Nano. That combo is good for about 10 hours of riding with the only issue being occasional BT re-connectivity after a gas stop.

Now, about the cell phone thing...
A key difference in mindsets I saw when I lived in Germany from '95 to '07 between Germans and Americans when it comes to mobile phones is that Americans get a cell phone and think "Wow, I can call all sorts of people now" whereas the Germans think "wow, now all sorts of people can call me."
Remember that the next time you see an American walk out of their house or apartment and as they're getting into their car they whip out a cell phone and immediately start blabbering and trying to drive at the same time. Why they didn't call that person prior to leaving their abode and concentrating more on driving is beyond me.

I prefer the German mindset myself.

I think I'll "upgrade" to one of these F5s when they're released.
Iball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
eflyersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Does the spec sheet pictured above show the intercom distance as 500"? As in 500 inches? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong though, but looks a lot less than 1km.
eflyersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Simplyred
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iball View Post
Can the boom mike be disconnected from the main unit?
I'd like to be able to listen to music and the GPS however I do not use a phone when I ride or drive, period.
I like the 3.5mm jack though...been looking for something like this for a while. Currently I use a Chatterbox with the CB bluetooth module hooked up to an iPod Nano. That combo is good for about 10 hours of riding with the only issue being occasional BT re-connectivity after a gas stop.

Now, about the cell phone thing...
A key difference in mindsets I saw when I lived in Germany from '95 to '07 between Germans and Americans when it comes to mobile phones is that Americans get a cell phone and think "Wow, I can call all sorts of people now" whereas the Germans think "wow, now all sorts of people can call me."
Remember that the next time you see an American walk out of their house or apartment and as they're getting into their car they whip out a cell phone and immediately start blabbering and trying to drive at the same time. Why they didn't call that person prior to leaving their abode and concentrating more on driving is beyond me.

I prefer the German mindset myself.

I think I'll "upgrade" to one of these F5s when they're released.
There are reasons for that though.
As you probably know, there is no generic maximum speed on German highways, which means that if you are driving (for instance) in the neighborhood of München/Munich you can get passed by by a Porsche driving 260 km/hour. Which is not going to happen on American Highways (as a normal experience that is). So the generic American seems to be quite bored when travelling by car, and he seeks tasks to make his time in the car more "efficient" for instance by blabbering to friends or who knows who. The Germans however must be focussed since traffic can be instantly killing there if you decide to do something else on the Autobahn. Believe me, if Germans would have had "American Style Highways" they would have done the very same and make their time more worthwhile. It is a matter of circumstances more then a matter of nationality I guess.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Simplyred
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyersteve View Post
Does the spec sheet pictured above show the intercom distance as 500"? As in 500 inches? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong though, but looks a lot less than 1km.
There is the matter of what manufacturers SAY that the reach of their products is... and then there is daily use reality, which seems to be quite something else. Where Cardo says that it's G4 can reach 1 mile or 1.6 kilometers, daily use reality says something else. You are normally not riding in a labaratory environment, or in the midst of the Sahara Desert I assume.
So you would be better off taking those figures with sufficient salt....

Although it must be said that a range of MAXIMUM 1.6 kilometers will probably give you more then a range of MAXIMUM 500 meters.....
Old 01-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
DakarMoto OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post

Thanks for your comments helpful.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
DakarMoto OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyersteve View Post
Thanks for the update I have used the F4 and it was around 400-500m under off road riding conditions so I guess it's metres

Old 01-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
DakarMoto OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
There is the matter of what manufacturers SAY that the reach of their products is... and then there is daily use reality, which seems to be quite something else. Where Cardo says that it's G4 can reach 1 mile or 1.6 kilometers, daily use reality says something else. You are normally not riding in a labaratory environment, or in the midst of the Sahara Desert I assume.
So you would be better off taking those figures with sufficient salt....

Although it must be said that a range of MAXIMUM 1.6 kilometers will probably give you more then a range of MAXIMUM 500 meters.....
yes reality very rarely meets marketing hype. Interestingly, I have found out you can add a interphone tribe for up-to 5-7km to the F5
http://www.interphoneuk.co.uk/products/interphone-tribe

Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
DelHess
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
does anyone know if the f5 is compatible with the f4? i see the f4 is selling cheap on fleabay now, and i see an opportunity to snag one. i know guys i ride with are looking at preordering the f5 as a group buy, so i would want it to be compatible.
DelHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
i've got the F4 and as far as distance, I find they work well as long as you can see the other person - as in if it is flat and wide open they work for a long distance, but get in some windy mountain roads and that distance is much shorter - not sure if that applies to the f5 but it probably does
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelHess View Post
does anyone know if the f5 is compatible with the f4? i see the f4 is selling cheap on fleabay now, and i see an opportunity to snag one. i know guys i ride with are looking at preordering the f5 as a group buy, so i would want it to be compatible.
The F5 does work with the F4 to answer your question, you will get slightly better range due to the increased range the F5 provides.
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote