ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #181
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonacharlie View Post
Newfound Gap 1974, Steve and his Honda 750 (left), me and my Z1900 (right)

Newfound Gap 2004, Steve and his K1100LT (left) & me with my Daytona 1200 (right)
"quoth the raven... nevermore"

charlie... Really enjoyed this. Outstanding.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #182
Clydascope
What's Inyo Belly?

Oddometer: 285
mammoth lakes, ca

summer 1985

summer 2009
Clydascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #183
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Enjoyed an early spring ride here today in the Rockies. I just kept going here, then going there, etc. But one of the stops was to find where the photographer stood long ago in the community of Morrison.

The school in the late 1800's...

I think it is a residence now...

Bear Creek would rampage through Morrison periodically after heavy rains would soak the canyons above town. The dam at Evergreen ten miles to the west put a halt to the unruliness of the water, but not before this flood 80 years ago, with mud the photographed aftermath...

The tamed stream is behind me in this "now" pic...
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #184
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
A few weeks ago I overnighted here during an epic ride on my XT from Florida to Colorado.

and wandered around the historic part of town for an evening.

There are a few more photos of this beautiful quarter in my ride report.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #185
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,954

Lovin' it!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #186
kendall_smith
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
The Chase County courthouse is the oldest operating court house in Kansas. Built in 1873.

NO WAY!! I just got to page 12 of this thread after having never seen it before. I'm hanging on every word and picture and then I look at this photo and that is ME on the blue FZ-1. That's my wife (girlfriend at the time) on the back and my dad in the red/black/white leathers and pink-ish hat!

SB, I love your pictures of all the historical stuff in KS- I've seen some of it, but I definitely need to go out and see some more of it for myself.

Awesome thread, guys! Keep the interesting pics coming.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #187
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall_smith View Post
NO WAY!! I just got to page 12 of this thread after having never seen it before. I'm hanging on every word and picture and then I look at this photo and that is ME on the blue FZ-1. That's my wife (girlfriend at the time) on the back and my dad in the red/black/white leathers and pink-ish hat!

That pic has to be maybe 7-8 years ago?
Sod Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #188
kendall_smith
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
That pic has to be maybe 7-8 years ago?
I actually traded that bike in back in 2005, so it's at least 7 years old if not older. Small world!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #189
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Coffeyville, Kansas. Oct 4th 1892.

Using an article of an eyewitness acount from the New York Sun April 8th, 1906, for the story behind the pics. John J kloehr's version of the raid.

Just a word or two about the Daltons before beginning the story of their final raid. They were Kentuckians, born and bred. They were cousins by marriage of the notorious Youngers and Jameses. In them the lust of slaughter was inborn. In 1889 the Dalton family, father and mother and thirteen children, among them the three who met their death here – Bob, Emmet and Grattan – came to Kansas. They settled on a farm in Montgomery county, where they remained until the opening of the Territory. Then began the life of adventure that proved their undoing. First, United States deputy marshals, then train robbers, whisky pedlers, and bandits in the mountain passes of California; then, the final act, bank robbers.

On October 4, 1892, five men, Tim Evans, or Powers, Grat Dalton, Bob Dalton, Emmet Dalton and Dick Broadwell, the last having been enlisted in the scheme a day or two before, rode up from the Indian Territory from that part known as the Cherokee nation.

(The Condon Bank Coffeyville, Kansas, the First National Bank is just across the street to the right of the Condon. The First National was lost to fire.)

They passed the night hiding in the wooded fastnesses along the banks of the Verdigris River, on which this town stands. Early on the morning of the 5th they took up their journey again, their bloodied horses refreshed by rest and food. For miles they followed one of the main roads into Coffeyville, the road that becomes Eighth street when it enters the town. As they neared the town they were noticed by many people riding to and from the city. The Daltons, who were, of course, well known in Coffeyville, were disguised by false beards and other means. Long cloaks concealed their weapons – Winchester rifles and heavy Colt's revolvers. They looked, as they intended, like a party of deputy United States marshals on official business. This was an occurrence too common to excite wonderment or remark.

As they rode up Eighth street many eyes were turned upon them, but without the slightest suspicion. It was evidently their intention to tie their horses on Eighth street, where they would be readily accessible when the need to flee came. However, the street was torn up, pending certain repairs, making this impossible. An alley running directly off the street attracted their attention. They turned down it, the only false move they had made thus far, and tied their horses to a paling back of my livery stable. Then in single file they emerged from the alley, their long coats removed, their spurs clanking, their guns swinging at their sides.

(The alley they turned their horses down in 1892, it is directly across from the front of the Condon Bank, green trim, and a direct shot from the front of Ishams Hardware store, where this pic is taken from, the stable was down the alley and to the left, where they tied the hosses. And the new Condon Bank with the alley in between across the street. Locals call it Death Alley.)

Bob and Emmett crossed to the First National bank the other three, Gratt Dalton, Powers and Broadwell, entered the Condon National Bank, and covering the cashier with their Winchesters commanded him to open the vault. Grat hurried around behind the iron screen that partitioned the vaults and the business part of the bank from the front, and opening a heavy grain sack commanded one of the three clerks to pour into it all the cash in sight. That done he, with a fierce oath and threatening wave of his gun, commanded the cashier to open the vault and get the gold.

“I can't,” replied the cashier. “The time lock is on the vault.”
“What time will it open?”
“At half past 9,” returned the cashier. The time was only a guess on his part; it was after 10 o'clock then, but Grat bit at the desperate expedient to gain time.

“We'll wait,” he announced.

(The dark building on the right next to the MEHL BROS sign is the First National, the other Bank being robed at the same time as the Condon. The Condon had been turned into a restaurant in this pic. The alley is out of the pic to the left.)

All this time the citizens were not idle. So completely by surprise had the assault on the bank been that no one was in the least prepared. Even the town marshal, Frank Connelly, was unarmed. The first intimation that I had of the affair was when some one ran into the stable shouting that Condon's bank was being robbed. I had no weapon in the barn, but, running across the street to the hardware store, I fitted myself out with a small Winchester, the first thing that I came upon. Stationing myself on the street I began to fire on the Condon bank, hoping to frustrate the plans of the bandits.

In this I was soon joined by others, who hurriedly procured weapons from the hardware stores. The plate glass windows of the bank were riddled and bank people narrowly escaped death from the flying bullets, but the effect of the fusillade was to make the robbers chary of staying too long in the bank. In the grain sack was about $4,000 in silver and greenbacks. The silver was discarded, Grat Dalton stuffing the paper money into his coat.

(The first National Bank is to the left of Ishams Hardware store. The Chamber of Commerce is now located in the old Condon Bank.)

At the other bank, the First National, a similar scene had been enacted by Bob and Emmet Dalton The cashier and others in the bank were made to hold up their hands and the contents of the vault were emptied into a sack. Here, too, the fire from the people on the streets became too severe and they were forced to discard the heavy silver for the lighter and more valuable gold and paper. Charles Gumy, another of the bravest men this or any other town has ever known, opened fire on the bank, but was wounded by a shot from one of the robbers that splintered the stock of his gun and smashed his right hand into a mass of raw flesh. Friends rushed out to him and dragged him within the shelter of a store.

(In the side walk where Baldwin died.)

Bob and Emmett made their way to the rear doors of the First National bank, driving the cashier and his assistants before them. When they swung open the door they were confronted by George Baldwin, 23 years old, as brave and noble a lad as ever breathed. In his hand he held a pistol, a toy compared to the weapons carried by the robbers. Bob Dalton, raised his fatal Winchester to his shoulder and fired, and Baldwin fell to the ground mortally wounded.

After leaving the First National Bob and Emmett Dalton passed down Eighth street crossing Walnut street then cuting back south to the horses in the alley. There in front of his shoe shop stood George Cubine, gun in hand, waiting for them. Two shots rang out simultaneously and Cubine fell back dead. Charles Brown, a fellow workman of Cubine's, saw him fall and ran out to help him. Again the deadly rifles of the bandits spoke, and Brown fell a martyr to right and the ties of comradeship.

(Again, in the sidewalk where they fell)

(Condon Bank dead center, alley across the street to the left, First National and Ishams Hardware across the street from the Condon to the right. Broadwell made it out of the alley and about a half mile up the street to the far left before falling from his horse dead from wounds received in the alley.)

Sod Buster screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 11:14 AM
Old 03-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #190
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Passing down Union street, after killing Cubine and Brown, the five bandits espied Thomas Ayres, cashier of the First National Bank, standing by the curb with a rifle in his hands. Bob Dalton's rifle rang out and Ayres fell, wounded in the head, although the distance was more than seventy-five yards.

(Building on the right is Ishams Hardware, First National stood in the parking lot on the left)

(First National stood where the trucks are parked Baldwin was shot behind Ishams by Bob Dalton as he and Emmet exited the rear of the bank, the gun fire was pouring out of this store into the bank, and down the alley straight across the street.)

Bob and Emmet then hurriedly dodged behind buildings and were not seen again until they reappeared in the alley where their horses were tied. Gratt Dalton and his companions, Powers and Broadwell, regained the shelter of the alley first.

(The alley now, the wood sided building to the right is part of the old jail that was standing at the time, the horses were down and to the left, Bob and Emmet re-entered the alley just past the jail and from the right.)

Before the Condon bunch made the alley Gratt and powers were both hit hard, entering the alley Powers staggered towards the horses and was hit in the back as the defenders in Ishams were shootin straight down the alley from across the street, he fell dead beside his horse still clinging to his empty winchester.

(The alley then, the stone building to the right is the old jail, the stable is down the alley and on the left, barn structure, the tank wagon in front left is an old Standard Oil wagon, the two horse team pulling it were killed in the shootout.)

(The old jail backs up to the alley on the right in the above pic, The Dalton Gang were laid out in it.)

Grat made it to the stables just west of the jail, the rear of the jail house opened up into this alley, Marshall Charles T. Connelly entered the alley at the west corner of the stables looking west towards the outlaws horses, Grat shot from the hip with his rifle killing Connelly.

(In the concrete of the Alley way.)

Grat then made for his horse, as he passed the Marshalls body he turned back towards Isham's trying to get his rifle up but was hit in the throat breaking his neck, three men now lay dead in what would become known as death alley, Dick Broadwell the last man of the Condon bunch was wounded at this point but had made it to the Long Bell Lumber Co, he shot two horses hitched to an oil tank wagon that were disturbing his aim rearing in the alley, the shooting had slowed as Grat and Powers fell, Broadwell managed to mount and ride west down the alley but was hit again by a rifle shot and a shotgun blast, he still made it away from the alley before falling from his horse dead.

(The alley below, the stable is the barn on the left, seen from a distance in an earlier photo. What the people are doing is photographing the dead gang, who are leaned up against the side of the stable barn.)

We are now down to two outlaws left, about the time the last of the Condon bunch were shot down Bob Dalton entered the alley from the north headed south, the men in Ishams started up again hitting Bob he staggered over to by the jail and sat down on a pile of curbstones by the jail he was still firing his rifle but shooting wild, Bob managed to get up and stagger to the stable west of the jail were he was hit the final time in the chest and fell, Emmet had some how still managed to not be hit, at this point he still had the grain sack with $21,000 in it Bob and Powers horses were between Emmet and Isham,s both horses were shot as they tried to hit Emmet.

(Bob on the left Gratt on the right)

Emmet made it to his horse but had now been hit in the arm, left hip, and groin but still managed to make his saddle, at this point Emmet could have rode with the money but he turned his horse back towards Bob riding up and leaning down for his brother, they say that Bob said it's no use, Emmet was then hit by both barrels of a shotgun falling from his horse to lay wounded by his brother Bob.

The Coffeyville raid was over and the Dalton gang would ride no more, 8 men lay dead and dieing among the dead horses and 4 more were wounded, the town was in shock from the ordeal there was talk of hanging Emmet on the spot but the town doc discouraged it as hanging a dead man.

(The alley can be made out by the break in the awnings on the left side of the street)

At the time of the raid Grat was 31, Bob was 23, and Emmet was 21 years of age.

Emmet would get life in prison, and pardoned after 15 years, he would return to Coffeyville, Kansas in 1931 and have a marker put on his brothers and Bill Powers grave, their brother Frank Dalton is also buried to the west of where they now lay, Frank died in the line of duty as an law officer, another brother Bill Dalton would hook up with Bill Doolin creating the Doolin Dalton Gang, Bill would be killed in Ardmore, Oklahoma by U.S.Marshalls in june of 1894.

(Emmet Dalton, after geting out of prison)

Broadwell's parents came for the body and buried him just west of Wichita in Hutchinson Kansas.

The pipe was a piece of well pipe that was beside the stable where they tied the horses it was used as a hitching post by the Daltons that day, it was removed from the alley and was the only thing marking the grave untill Emmet placed a marker in 1931.

Sod Buster screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 11:32 AM
Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #191
Gunner45
Out on the trail

Oddometer: 168
Excellent as always Sod Buster

Gunner45
Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #192
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,954
Awesome story and posts Sod Buster!!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #193
vaexplorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Big thanks to Sfarson for starting this, and the rest for contributing. I love this topic.
vaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #194
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,198

Old 03-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #195
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamud View Post

Thats awesome that they kept the old bridge and restored it even though a new one was built. You can't save it all, and much has been lost to time already. Nice pics.