ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #391
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post

You're really getting this technique dialed in Steve. It helps me to remember that I'm standing in the footsteps of those who came before me even thousands of years ago.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #392
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Yes Bob, we often walk the same steps and ride the same paths, as others before us... and after us. But there are those very removed places where I've had the feeling few had ever trod there before.

Did notice with the boys in front of the school that overalls were the apparel of choice!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #393
sfarson OP
On a Ride

The Beaver Ranch is one of the historic homesteads of Conifer, CO. In the early 1900's...

If it weren't for the barn would be difficult to locate. Four laned U.S. 285 and earth movers have altered the surroundings...
Old 08-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #394
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 575
sfarson, this is way too cool - how do you manage to find all these then/now matches? (talking about the now shots in same locations). You must ride all day everyday .

Thanks for sharing - this has become one of my favorite threads!
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #395
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
I've got a few... except there is only one year between my then and nows.
Last year near Big Lake, AZ BEFORE the Wallow fire.

AFTER the Wallow fire.

BEFORE the Wallow fire... Ironically enough, this is the fire lookout tower.

AFTER
the Wallow fire.

BEFORE the Wallow fire.

AFTER the Wallow fire.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #396
sfarson OP
On a Ride

DK... I remember reading all about the massive Wallow Fire. Have ridden the Coronado Trail/U.S. 191 north out of Clifton to Alpine. Great then/now images. The last image is sadly striking. I have some then/now Colorado fire images somewhere.

EnduroRdr... There is a chunk of attempts never making it as far as a "now" photo capture. Yesterday on a ride to Elevenmile Canyon I knew I would be passing through Lake George, Colorado. Found several old images of the town. Couldn't find a relevant or worthwhile pic to take. The old buildings are gone, and even the mountainous backdrop was weird... as if the photos were mislabeled. Often the latter really helps to line up the pics, especially if structures are changed/gone, but not this time.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #397
sfarson OP
On a Ride

OK, found some images embedded in one of my ride videos of Colorado's largest wildfire in acreage... the 138,000 acre Hayman Fire, launched by a Forest Service employee June, 2002. Prior to the fire I pulled over for a secluded picnic lunch with the Pike National Forest as a place setting before me. In this 2001 image, the year before the fire, can see the log where I parked my rear end. That is Thunder Butte to the left, and Pikes Peak in the distance...

Two years after the fire I tried to remember the location, or more accurately, the angle of the image taken two years prior. In 2002 many roads through the fire area were closed for fear of falling trees messing with those passing by...

Six years later happened to have the cam along, but pointed the viewfinder a bit more to the right. Could have done better remembering the angle...

And not too long ago, summer of 2011...

In case interest, the 3:25 vid to the above location...
Old 08-24-2012, 03:45 AM   #398
Earl of Portchester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Culver Coastal Battery, Isle of Wight.

Culver Battery, Isle of wight, where my Grandad was stationed during 1939 while serving with 527 Coast Regiment Royal Artillery.

The battery was constructed near the eastern edge of Culver Cliff between 1904 and 1906, close to Bembridge Fort. The batttery consisted of a pair of two 9.2-inch breech-loading Mark X guns in barbette Mark V emplacements. This gun, the standard British coast defence weapon of the time, weighed 129 tons when shielded and could fire a 380 pound armour piercing shell up to 29,000 yards, although it was most effective at a range of 6,000 against armoured vessels. It was emplaced within a 6 foot 6 inch concrete parapet, beneath which was the hydraulic lift and accumulator used to assist in loading and firing the weapon.

It was great to be able to walk up the steps that my Grandad would have used all those years ago.

www.guzzista.com/
Earl of Portchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #399
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl of Portchester View Post

Culver Battery, Isle of wight, where my Grandad was stationed during 1939 while serving with 527 Coast Regiment Royal Artillery.

The battery was constructed near the eastern edge of Culver Cliff between 1904 and 1906, close to Bembridge Fort. The batttery consisted of a pair of two 9.2-inch breech-loading Mark X guns in barbette Mark V emplacements. This gun, the standard British coast defence weapon of the time, weighed 129 tons when shielded and could fire a 380 pound armour piercing shell up to 29,000 yards, although it was most effective at a range of 6,000 against armoured vessels. It was emplaced within a 6 foot 6 inch concrete parapet, beneath which was the hydraulic lift and accumulator used to assist in loading and firing the weapon.

It was great to be able to walk up the steps that my Grandad would have used all those years ago.
Earl... Excellent, especially the shared footsteps. Thanks for the pics.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #400
colodak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
that pic of the million dollar highway is hilarious at how it's changed, I now drive it weekly in a semi. It's funny how I hear drivers talk about how narrow it is now compared to back then.

where did you find that pic, I need to post in on a trucking forum to give some drivers a good chuckle
colodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #401
sfarson OP
On a Ride

colodak... Well, you have the cojones to drive the Million Dollar in a truck today. Especially in winter!

The Million Dollar over the years...

Today...

And back then who needs wimpy avalanche sheds?

To place at the truck forum, just link to the images at my server. On the images above, right-click on the image with your mouse/pointer and select the "Copy Image URL" option. Or, "Save Image As" command to save them to your device/PC.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #402
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,272
This was my last trip down that illustrious highway - white knuckle all the way.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #403
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Cool string of pictures Steve !

Mr Bob, you were in my pickup? I think I have the same crack in the windshield.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #404
sfarson OP
On a Ride

JW... I know someone who rode the Million Dollar... Red Mountain, Molas, and Coal Bank Passes, late December with the snow falling, at night, on a Honda CBR1100XX. He said there was ten inches of snow on Molas. It was in pursuit of a Iron Butt 1000 miles in 24 hours. And he made it!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #405
sfarson OP
On a Ride

West of Colorado Springs, in the shadows of Pikes Peak, was (and is) the resort town of Manitou Springs. In the 1890's a special place to spend the night was the Baker House Hotel...

And today it remains a special place...

Further up the canyon towards Woodland Park was (and is) the resort community of Green Mountain Falls. Back in the 1890's the motorized means to get here was the Colorado Midland Railroad. Can see the train peeking out from the other side of the depot, along with in a way, a contrast with its own past... horses and a wagon to the right...

Autos now deliver residents and visitors with fishing poles to the same small lake...

Looking the other direction, note that spectacular Green Mountain Falls Hotel in the distance. Alas, it met the same fiery fate as many other notable wood structures did back then. FWIW, this is an excellent 1890's image...