ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Dinner Location?
Golden Corral 6 12.50%
Asian Buffet 11 22.92%
J Gumbo 12 25.00%
Marions Pizza 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #226
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
so what if we switch to third Tuesday this month?

My Tuesdays are free now. So it works for me.
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #227
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffinNewGuy View Post
The name's Shaun and I am the proud owner of a new DL650. I actually just bought the bike last Friday. Spent the weekend riding, and after 343 miles, while on my commute to work Monday morning, this happened...

Taking the girl in today to get the dealer to buy me a new front rim and right caliper. They both got knicked all to hell.
Shaun: WOW! You are very lucky (prolly don't feel that way right now) you didn't have a catastrophic event with that. If that's the kind of shop work that Cycle Specialties does, it would seem to be a good place to avoid. I buy most of my parts from them, but haven't used them much for service.

You'll love the Wee for all kinds of riding, but it's a heavy SOB off-road. Send me a PM or email message if you want to do some goat path wandering around NKY some time. I've got a few routes that stick to mosly lane-and-a-half rural roads with no centerline. All paved, but lots of fun!
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #228
EffinNewGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I know how lucky I am with that incident and the possible accidents that were avoided.

UPDATE: Took the bike in and all the personnel in the service department, sales floor, and even the owner were quick to get a fix to get me back out and riding. The are ordering new parts and completed my first service while it was on the lift. I had a bunch of people tell me I should demand this and that as compensation, etc... Ultimately, all I wanted was to be back on two wheels and my first service. I'm not the type to take advantage of the situation to get a bunch of free stuff, but I am going to see what I can do about a fairly hefty discount on some new gear (once spending funds have been replenished, that is).

All in all I'm pretty happy with Cycle Specialties and their quick reaction to this situation. New parts have been ordered and will be installed free of charge to me.
EffinNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #229
EffinNewGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
JuJu,

I can't wait to get on some of the Kentucky twisties. Just say when and where.

FNG
EffinNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #230
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
JuJu,

I can't wait to get on some of the Kentucky twisties. Just say when and where.

FNG
PM sent.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #231
JRE
Yo

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
I know how lucky I am with that incident and the possible accidents that were avoided.

UPDATE: Took the bike in and all the personnel in the service department, sales floor, and even the owner were quick to get a fix to get me back out and riding. The are ordering new parts and completed my first service while it was on the lift. I had a bunch of people tell me I should demand this and that as compensation, etc... Ultimately, all I wanted was to be back on two wheels and my first service. I'm not the type to take advantage of the situation to get a bunch of free stuff, but I am going to see what I can do about a fairly hefty discount on some new gear (once spending funds have been replenished, that is).

All in all I'm pretty happy with Cycle Specialties and their quick reaction to this situation. New parts have been ordered and will be installed free of charge to me.
I live very close to CS on Harrison and have had service done at the one on rte 4. No complaints from me on either. The guys at SportTour in Sharonville are good too. Just had new tires put on my Z there...very close to my wife's office.
JRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #232
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,684
I'll show my age here.....I gave up on cycle specialties when they moved from close to cheviot to their existing location. That's when they went from employing enthusiast to teenagers who know next to nothing about bikes. Even though I live less than ten minutes away and drive by it at least a dozen times a week, I haven't stopped in there in probably ten years.
I have had good success with pro stock performance over the years, but will admit my last dealings with them earlier this year went less than perfect.
I need a set of tires put on the buell soon and will most likely pull the wheels off and take them to sport tour in sharonville.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #233
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I need a set of tires put on the buell soon and will most likely pull the wheels off and take them to sport tour in sharonville.
I run the shop at Sport Tour. Our tire prices will blow any one else around out of the water.
We do the tires on the bike as well. Ask for Ray, I will set you up.

Dualsport screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 11:36 AM
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #234
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport View Post
I run the shop at Sport Tour. Our tire prices will blow any one else around out of the water.
We do the tires on the bike as well. Ask for Ray, I fix you up.
man, if i didn't want to inspect the bearings and change the belt when i take the wheels off, I'd have you ride it in one day, spoon on the tires and bring it back out to harrison for me.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #235
Mr_Beefy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I 2nd this, nothing against Cycle Specialties but Ray at Sport Tour is an expert and there parts prices are as good as any website can offer plus see the product 1st hand.
Mr_Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #236
JRE
Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Beefy View Post
I 2nd this, nothing against Cycle Specialties but Ray at Sport Tour is an expert and there parts prices are as good as any website can offer plus see the product 1st hand.
+2 even paying OH tax, the price of the tires I bought there were slightly lower than anywhere I could find online.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #237
JRE
Yo

Quote:
Spent the weekend riding, and after 343 miles, while on my commute to work Monday morning, this happened...

Taking the girl in today to get the dealer to buy me a new front rim and right caliper. They both got knicked all to hell. I'll go into more detail later. I've told the story so many times yesterday that I'm sick of hearing it. Otherwise, love the bike and look forward to meeting and riding with you all.

Keep the sticky side down,

Shaun
Funny, I stopped into CS on Harrison Ave and they had a Vstrom with the bolt missing there and a little sign on it saying part was on order. I smiled because I know where that screw went :)
Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #238
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Don't know how long your bike will be in the shop for warrenty repair, but you probably want to keep track of the length of time.......new bike warrenty period must be extended to cover any days the bike is in the shop for warrenty repairs.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #239
JRE
Yo

Sorry for the length...I've highlighted the main points for those like me with ADD

I'm gonna through this query up to my Cincinnati neighbors since you guys know the area best and the available riding areas play a big part in the type of bike. I know many of you have a lot of experience so I value your input. I know this type of question comes up a million times (I can feel the eye rolling) but I'm trying to avoid buyers remorse and the hassle of re-selling/buying again.

As mentioned, looking to pick up a dual sport bike and I'm having a hard time settling on which one would be right for me. I'm 6'2" (30-31" inseam) and ~280lb (and dropping!). Really trying to stay under $5k for now for the wife's sanity. I figure I'll be spending $ on farkles too.

Basically looking for a dirt bike that's competent enough on the highway to get to the riding.

Bikes considering: DR650, XR650L, DRZ400, TE-610, WR250R (although I'm thinking I'm a bit big for it). Bikes missing?

I have a 2010 Z1000 so I don't care about extensive road riding, commuting, etc on the dual sport (ok, maybe some trips to the gym 4mi away). Any road/highway riding will be a simple matter of getting to wherever it is I'm going to ride. I get plenty of road excitement on the Z.

I own an 4x4 ATV so the wife and I will hit some trails a few times a year. The places I've been (Haspin Acres, Big Rock, 491 Off road) can be pretty treacherous so I need something that is not too much of a handful if things get a bit rough. This would probably only be a 5 or so times a year though. My main preference for riding would be more open trails, fire roads, etc but I haven't seen much of that around here (this is where you guys come in). I grew up in upstate NY and there were nice trails everywhere and I miss that. I'm not a hardcore rider...I don't feel the need to jump the bike, climb the verticals, hit giant mud pits or set land speed records. Relatively smooth trail riding is ok with me.

The big question - Maybe I'm underestimating the amount of road/highway time I'll be riding due to the location or lack of off-road trails here in Cinci?

My general thoughts:
>I realize, unless already set up, I'll likely have to re-spring/valve the suspension of any of these due to my weight for best performance

>I'm not Mr Fixit. I don't mind doing simple maintenance (changing oil, air filter, chain clean/lube etc) but would rather not have a bike that requires constant invasive/complex maintenance. I'm usually the guy who ends up with extra parts when he's done re-assembling As such, the local shops usually get my service business which is a wallet drainer.

>I probably won't put a ton of miles on the bike since I won't be commuting or using it for anything other than recreation. Unless my "big question" above is true.

I REALLY appreciate the input and once I do pick one up, can't wait to get some saddle time with you guys.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #240
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

You are looking for a bike that doesn't exist, and dreaming of riding in a style that is not possible living here. Throw the haspin stuff out, and get a dr650 or klr. But, the fire roads and forest service stuff is still so far away it would be a rarity where you would ride from home and do some of it. Or, throw the highway riding to the off road areas out and buy a wr250 and a trailer.
Already having a good street bike, I would go with the second option.