Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
110Mike OP
Lug in my Kop

Oddometer: 96
Royal Enfield......Why?......Educate me

Hi all.

Coming from an airhead, why should I consider a "modern" (2000+) Royal Enfield?

I have been thinking about one, liking the simplicity, supposedly good mileage.

Please educate me.

Currently I commute as well as take longer trips on my airheads.

Thanks in advance

Mike
110Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
My friend has a dealership and sells royal enfields. they are kinda neat but are pretty crude and old technology. They basically ride like a 40-50 yr. old bike. Sure they are fuel injected and have disc brakes but they will require more maintenabnce than a new bike and yet they are not old. nothing wrong with that really but more bike for the money can certainly be had. I am of mind that if you want an old looking bike then buy an old bike. If you must buy an old looking new bike, a triumph bonneville would imho be a much better bike and will out perform a RE, and be much more reliable. just my $.02 of course.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
vstromed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I have a 2009 Bullet and really like the thing. Mine is the AVL with the separate engine/trans and carb. I really wanted an old British single, but trying to find one is tough and expensive. The Bullet is very much like a '50's bike but affordable. I have not had any problems with it nor has anything fallen off of it. It is, however, not a modern bike. I ride it as if it is an old bike. It will cruise comfortable at 55-60, and is very "charming" to tootle around on. I would not feel comfortable doing freeway speeds on it, as the engine does not give the impression of liking to rev too much. Some of the components are a bit low rent (rear shocks) but it does handle well and looks great. Many people think that it is a restored old bike, and that is what I like about it. I also have a '74 R75/6. The beemer is a totally different ride from the Bullet. My opinion is that if you like the looks of the RE and are willing to own a classic looking bike that does require a bit of tinkering to keep running well, then the Bullet is a great addition. I would not own one as my only bike.
'82 CX500 (work in progress)
'80 KZ440 LTD
'74 BMW R75/6
'69 Honda CT90
'70 Honda CT90
vstromed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
This is why....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=royal+enfield

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 582
I love the way they look.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
The easiest answer is this: You should buy a RE if thats the kind of motorcycle experience you want.

The Enfields aren't throwback to another time, they're basically old bikes that have survived into a different age. As such, they require more maintenance that a modern bike, while performing moderately well in most circumstances. Not real well, I said moderately!

Me? I've already owned a few vintage BMW's, so I'd be looking for something that performed better than an Airhead (Which would run away from an Enfield.) and required less maintenance, (Like a modern scooter.) but if you like it, buy it. The people who own RE's seem to like em!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 01:24 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
c1skout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
I've got both an airhead (r100rt) and an iron barrel 500 Enfield. My Enfield is a 2000 that I bought new in 2005, I left it mostly stock and have ridden it over 13,000 trouble free miles. It keeps up with city traffic easily and has no trouble holding 60 on our hilly 4-lanes here in western PA, even 2-up. Maintanence is a killer though.. I have to set the points once a year and change the oil every few thousand miles. I'm due for a new drive chain too, and I may need a new drive tire to get through this summer. Mine has been a good and fun bike, easy on gas also, I average 72mpg on my 50 mile commute.
My airhead I could leave in third gear and do everything the Enfield does.
c1skout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
11Bones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Why you ask, brcause they look cool. Aint no cool like oldskool.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
OldAndBusted
Needs a little work...

Oddometer: 375
interesting bikes, very cool looking, fairly simple, not japanese level reliability but not too bad, but they are nothing like an airhead BMW. very different riding experience. just FYI.
OldAndBusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,976
The latest models are completely different animals than those up to about 2008 or so.
Prior to that, they had the same engine that was used back in 1955, with the addition of an electric starter.

I wouldn't have considered one of those as a daily rider or commuter (although it's probably been done successfully by many people, and certainly, in India it's done by everyone who owns one).
The new ones are probably a lot more viable as daily riders. They have a completely redesigned engine which owes nothing to the old engine except for styling of the cylinder and head.

For the record, I'm a vintage Enfield enthusiast; I own two UK made twin cylinder models. One of them was my daily rider for several years.
I'm still waiting for the factory in India to re-introduce the 750 Interceptor. It was rumored a few years ago, but never materialized. Supposedly, they have the tooling from the old factory in Redditch, England.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #11
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
They aren't a patch on the original bullets for reliability or speed. Of course you do get the unique Indian build quality

A friend of mine ordered a deluxe model at the start of the summer last year, he ordered one with the chrome tank with painted panels. The bike arrived with a standard tank fitted so the dealer promptly got onto the factory and informed them, no problem and it's on it's way. nearly three months later and a chrome tank turns up with beautifully painted panels on top of the worst chroming you've ever seen. dealer orders another one which turns up a few months later with perfect chrome and the panels painted on on the skew. He's now got three tanks and doesn't want any of them. The dealer has promised to have the tank with the good chrome painted at the dealers own expense. In the meantime most of the rubbers have dissolved so everything rattles and theres a bad vibration from the engine it looks nice in the back of the garage though

One of the guys I worked with travels in India whenever he can and always buys an Enfield when he's over there, 2nd hand they are pretty cheap. He does break down a lot but apparently you are nerve far from someone who will fix it for pennies, the repair will last a few miles before failing again, somebody else will then fix it for a few pennies and your off again.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #12
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
For the record, I'm a vintage Enfield enthusiast; I own two UK made twin cylinder models. One of them was my daily rider for several years.
I love Interceptors

They were never popular bikes when I was younger, had a poor reputation for being hard to start and vibrating.

Nice looking bikes though

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
I had a '99 Iron Barrel, 4 speed. It was quite reliable, and the maintenance wasn't bad. The brakes sucked, it leaked oil, was pretty slow, but extremely fun. Also was very comfortable.

It really couldn't do freeways. Its not just power, but brakes and handling. Its very comfortable at 50-55 mph. Cruising Highway 1 is amazing on it. Its a 2 wheeled time machine.

As long as you think of it as a new bike from 1955, you'll be fine. They were quite reliable in their time. The newer ones have better solid state electronics.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,976
That's a 1967 or 1968 Series 1A. Note the chrome tank, and barely visible behind the magneto drive section of the timing chest is the points housing instead of the Lucas K2F magneto. Oh, and the concentric carbs. Enfield used them a year before most other British manufacturers.

My experience gained over exactly 40 years of Interceptor ownership (bought mine in 1972) has been that they're very smooth for a British 750 twin (smoother than most 500cc twins), and very easy to start.
Mine has always been a one-kick starter, and Interceptors were the only British twin to be dynamically balanced by the factory.
If you rode one (or more) that wasn't smooth, and was hard to start, that says more about the previous owners of the bike(s) than it does about the bike itself. Like all old British bikes, they've often been subjected to some serious bodging and misguided re-engineering. A rebore and oversize pistons could easily upset the balance factor, and a weak magneto can easily account for hard starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
I love Interceptors

They were never popular bikes when I was younger, had a poor reputation for being hard to start and vibrating.

Nice looking bikes though

caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Some great replies so far. A modern Enfield is not for everyone, but for the few who can live with them, they're very rewarding.
My dad bought a new one in 2004. This is before the AVL or fuel injected engine. It's an iron barrel, 4 speed bike. I love his bike. He changed a few thing like the goofy seat and rear light assembly, and it looks pretty nice. Fit and finish is nothing like a real British Enfield, but it's not terrible. My dad's bike has a nice patina and looks better dirty in my opinion.

This bike is an absolute blast to ride though. We live in the country and nothing beats it for bumping around on the back roads. It handles easily and has ample power up to 60 mph. It's not fun on the highway; the most fun is riding around 45 on the back roads. I love the clackety sound of the valve gear, and you can hear every breath the engine takes. Mileage is in the 60s, sometimes higher. It does leak oil, but not very badly after having a top end rebuild. He has 20k miles on this one and rides it regularly both to and from work and for fun.

It is indeed simple, but maintenance intensive. You've got to check things often to be sure they haven't loosened up! It's all simple stuff though and if you consider maintenance part of the ownership experience that helps.

There are some quality issues that you can overcome with some upgrades. For example, the carb manifold rubber on dad's bike wore out. I think he replaced it three times. It seems they don't use fuel proof rubber for that part, so we replaced it with a little chunk of radiator hose the same size. Things like hand controls are low quality, and of course you'll read about the starter sprague clutch going bad. My dad never fixed his, and after becoming used to Honda electric starting, kicking that old beast is a workout!

Now for your purposes, an Enfield will be great if you are willing to take it slow and keep up on the maintenance. There's no reason not to use one for commuting or trips, but you've got to know the machine well and be prepared for things that could happen. The aforementioned carb rubber, for example, gave out on me once and so I was riding along and suddenly the carb came off. Fancy that.
Now, I think an airhead is probably a few leagues beyond an Enfield, but you'd probably enjoy one. As others have said, new ones no bargain as you can get a Bonneville for what seems like not much more. My dad paid around $4000 new in 2004, and obviously they're not quite the bargain they used to be. Used would be the way to go for me, though, as I really like the iron barrel and I am not yet sure I'd trust Indian fuel injection or disc brakes.

Here's a pic after I borrowed it for the weekend this summer:

JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote