ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #151
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Summer-N. Catskills,NY; Winter-Ocala NF, FL
Oddometer: 923
2tall

AHHHH, the Front Porch in Dunellon. Good food and GREAT pies.
__________________
Dick (near) Oneonta, NY
Honda 90 Step thru (sold) Honda 305 Dream (sold) GS650 (sold) CBR900RR (totalled) GSX1100G (sold)
Two Hawk-GTs (sold) DRZ400S (sold) 250 Ninja (sold) Two Super Sherpas (sold) VX800, SV650 track bike
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #152
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Summer-N. Catskills,NY; Winter-Ocala NF, FL
Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
gThe taller gearing that's in the diesel will help the fuel economy some on the V10 truck too

Buzz, I would think there's no comparing fuel mileage between the Cummins and the V10. I get 21 MPG solo and 14 heavy towing at 65-70 with my Cummins/6 speed stick - which has not yet been chipped.

Or did I miss something, and you're taking the gearing out of a Cummins for this project?
__________________
Dick (near) Oneonta, NY
Honda 90 Step thru (sold) Honda 305 Dream (sold) GS650 (sold) CBR900RR (totalled) GSX1100G (sold)
Two Hawk-GTs (sold) DRZ400S (sold) 250 Ninja (sold) Two Super Sherpas (sold) VX800, SV650 track bike

ny-wolcott screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 03:00 PM
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #153
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny-wolcott View Post
Buzz, I would think there's no comparing fuel mileage between the Cummins and the V10. I get 21 MPG solo and 14 heavy towing at 65-70 with my Cummins/6 speed stick - which has not yet been chipped.

Or did I miss something, and you're taking the gearing out of a Cummins for this project?
Dick,
My Cummins truck has 3.55's in it, and my V10 has 4.10's. I'm going to 37" rubber on the Diesel, and the fuel economy sucks on the gas truck so it's a perfect swap.
The Diesel will need lower gearing to pull the tall tires and a transplanted 5 speed.
The gas truck has PLENTY of grunt down low to pull the 3.55's and just over stock 30" tires. This way when I sell the V10 I won't feel like I'm strapping someone with a truck that'll eat their lunch at the pump.

That, and I basically can't leave anything mechanical alone for long without playing with it.
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #154
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,982
Ah listen closely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Dick,
My Cummins truck has 3.55's in it, and my V10 has 4.10's. I'm going to 37" rubber on the Diesel, and the fuel economy sucks on the gas truck so it's a perfect swap.
The Diesel will need lower gearing to pull the tall tires and a transplanted 5 speed.
The gas truck has PLENTY of grunt down low to pull the 3.55's and just over stock 30" tires. This way when I sell the V10 I won't feel like I'm strapping someone with a truck that'll eat their lunch at the pump.

That, and I basically can't leave anything mechanical alone for long without playing with it.
This is why Florida is Great!
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #155
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,924
You got that right!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
This is why Florida is Great!
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #156
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™
 
Chicken Helmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville Fl
Oddometer: 4,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
This is why Florida is Great!
Any time Buzz starts with Dick coming out of his mouth or off his fingertips, thats why its great.
__________________
1988 KLR 650 Bare frame,swing arm & title For Sale PM for Details 2009 KLR 650 1994 DR 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWheel View Post
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except your head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #157
GodSpeedRally
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GodSpeedRally's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: In my dreams
Oddometer: 102
I've heard Florida be called the Australia of the US and its partially true. Lots of schemers and dreamers but in the end its not such a bad place, just like the land down under I presume. This thread should give you a good cross-section of the people here--families, cosmopolitans, foreigners, rednecks, zombies, you name it. Hell, some of the 9/11 terrorists lived down the street from me. I was born and raised here and I'm thankful for that. I feel as though I can blend in anywhere in the US. However, it truly is a melting pot and if you are not ready for the flavors you could get violent diarrhea.
GodSpeedRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #158
ineptizoid OP
I'm scared hold me
 
ineptizoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Underachievement Nexus of the Universe
Oddometer: 5,450
My linkees from first post no workee. But I feex!

And bump to the top, because it's some of the very best of Life itself.
__________________
*FAIL*

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #159
Mugwest
.
 
Mugwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: 3rd Ring of Buzztopia
Oddometer: 6,014
__________________
.
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #160
ineptizoid OP
I'm scared hold me
 
ineptizoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Underachievement Nexus of the Universe
Oddometer: 5,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Yes

Really
__________________
*FAIL*

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #161
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr
 
Dr.Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Central FL
Oddometer: 10,180
Some quality memories in that first post! sign here, sir
__________________
Stay half-assed, my friends. -- Mike West

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #162
sperz1
UnStudly Adventurer
 
sperz1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Oddometer: 868
Having lived all over Florida for the better part my life I gotta agree. It's aight.

Lotsa old logging roads to explore



Awful places to camp



And Naples! No riding any NEAR there.



But hey, we got fish!



Just awful I tell ya



And then there's all these chuckleheads!









I think I'll stay around a bit longer.
__________________
It takes a lot of water to make dual sporting look this hard.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #163
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™
 
Chicken Helmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville Fl
Oddometer: 4,914
Theres some troof & chuckleheadry in that thar last post.
__________________
1988 KLR 650 Bare frame,swing arm & title For Sale PM for Details 2009 KLR 650 1994 DR 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWheel View Post
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except your head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #164
Davebert
Too damn serious!
 
Davebert's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Panhandle Florida
Oddometer: 946
Yes, all the previous posts are true...Nothing to see here, move along.

__________________
I switched from regular Rotella Triple Protection to the Synthetic T6.

Shouldn't I be doing something else right now?
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #165
DandM
Studly Adventurer
 
DandM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Floriduh AKA Flatistan
Oddometer: 711


Here's why

DandM screwed with this post 04-26-2014 at 07:23 AM
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014