Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #151
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 315
New local news regarding Campbell River ... Christie Crunch just announced our new 95 bed hospital starts construction by Sept 2013, along with another in Courtenay. HC Hydro is soon to start $1.3 Billion (!) upgrade to our 3 dams & build a new power plant & conduits. Housing costs here will be low until the contractors look for workers. Then we expect a boom with higher housing prices for a few years.

Just a "heads up", you decide its relevance.
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #152
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Why is this thread still in the motorcycle section? Mods . . . move it to "everything else", please.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #153
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by swellguy View Post
Why is this thread still in the motorcycle section? Mods . . . move it to "everything else", please.
Hey n00b, when did you become King? Last time I looked at a map, VI was in Canada, not 'everything else'.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #154
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Hey n00b, when did you become King? Last time I looked at a map, VI was in Canada, not 'everything else'.
I'm sorry that only people with high post counts get to ask pertinent questions or make reasonable requests.
"Everything Else" means things not related to motorcycling. "Everywhere Else" means 'not Canada' in this case.
There appear to be specific areas of this site dedicated to discussions that aren't related to motorcycling and
I thought it was reasonable to consider the thread be moved to a more relevant section instead of reading,
ad nauseum, about property values, the realty market, interest rates, etc. throughout Vancouver Island.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #155
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Quote:
I thought it was reasonable to consider the thread be moved to a more relevant section instead of reading, ad nauseum, about property values, the realty market, interest rates, etc. throughout Vancouver Island.
Umm, then just ignore the thread. My post count is still in the n00b range too (even though I have been on here for over 10 yrs) so don't be intimidated by that It's actually a pretty informative thread because we all need a roof over our heads and a lot of people in Canada are interested in the costs, etc of living on our little island paradise. The Missus and I are the opposite. We can't wait to sell up and get off this god forsaken island
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #156
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,587
Quote:
Umm, then just ignore the thread. My post count is still in the n00b range too (even though I have been on here for over 10 yrs) so don't be intimidated by that It's actually a pretty informative thread because we all need a roof over our heads and a lot of people in Canada are interested in the costs, etc of living on our little island paradise. The Missus and I are the opposite. We can't wait to sell up and get off this god forsaken island

While I agree with your thoughts that this thread should stay in the "Canada " forum, I do find it ,,,,,,,tiring and old to constantly hear the mantra from several posters offering their utter disdaine and seeming hatred of having residence within the Greater Vancouver area. This area with all it's warts, is recognized as being with no argument the most popular place in Canada to live, alone based on our skyrocketing real estate prices, in a virtual world of crumbling real estate values. Add to this the fact that Vancouver is regularly regarded as being within the top 3 places to live on this entire earth in general standard of living, usually tied with some city in Austria which soon will be hitting the financial wall of overburdened debt. I personally find it amazing that anyone, especially a motorcyclist would consider leaving this area, other than strong emotional ties to childhood memories in an old hometown.
The "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" is a comment that I will place at this point.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #157
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,749
Quote:
Because the Canuck Regional forum has had a long tradition of keeping threads relevant to the country and it's people in the forum, including Canuck political issues, as long as we keep things civil.

I think it's because no one else wants to hear our polite ramblings, but that's just me.

If you don't want to read about it, don't click on the thread. Problem solved.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #158
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I personally find it amazing that anyone, especially a motorcyclist would consider leaving this area, other than strong emotional ties to childhood memories in an old hometown.
The "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" is a comment that I will place at this point. Steve
The actual facts are that I am not considering returning to my home town and emotional ties are not what are drawing me over there. I've had the pleasure of living over on the mainland for 26 years but the negative changes around here are starting to become glaringly visible, especially to many of my friends who have lived here all their life. Even they are saying that this isn't the place it used to be and are making plans to relocate, many to the Okanagan. If I was in the middle of my working career, I would grin and bear it, but as I am prepping for the active retirement years ahead of me, the Island with its slower pace, less expensive real estate and well established medical services is an easy choice. And did I say that the riding was great? Don't worry Steve, you won't be losing me, I'll still show up on the forum if I'm not too busy having fun to post.

jackd screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 09:41 PM
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #159
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
The actual facts are that I am not considering returning to my home town and emotional ties are not what are drawing me over there. I've had the pleasure of living over on the mainland for 26 years but the negative changes around here are starting to become glaringly visible, especially to many of my friends who have lived here all their life. Even they are saying that this isn't the place it used to be and are making plans to relocate, many to the Okanagan. If I was in the middle of my working career, I would grin and bear it, but as I am prepping for the active retirement years ahead of me, the Island with its slower pace, less expensive real estate and well established medical services is an easy choice. And did I say that the riding was great? Don't worry Steve, you won't be losing me, I'll still show up on the forum if I'm not to busy having fun to post.
I too have seen the changes having lived here since,,,,1960. But every place changes, nothing stays the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's...livable_cities
Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #160
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Quote:
.......I personally find it amazing that anyone, especially a motorcyclist would consider leaving this area, other than strong emotional ties to childhood memories in an old hometown.
The "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" is a comment that I will place at this point.Steve
We just want to get off the Island. Heading to the Kootenay's somewhere. Tired of wasting time with ferries $$$$$, Fraser Valley, etc. every time we want to go somewhere.

Deuce screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 07:58 PM
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #161
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
We just want to get off the Island. Heading to the Kootenay's somewhere. Tired of wasting time with ferries $$$$$, Fraser Valley, etc. every time we want to go somewhere.

The Kootenays are lovely, that's for sure. You've been pretty spoiled by the non-freezing winters where you are. Can you adapt, or will you do as I plan on, escaping to the Arizona dezert for 2 months a year?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #162
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Quote:
The Kootenays are lovely, that's for sure. You've been pretty spoiled by the non-freezing winters where you are. Can you adapt, or will you do as I plan on, escaping to the Arizona dezert for 2 months a year?
Spoiled? I don't think so. Starting to grow gills and tired of the gloomy winters. I'm one of those evil Easterners so winter doesn't bother me. No problem to adapt.

I miss having four seasons. At least you get sun after the snow. It's been fun here on the Island, but the traffic is getting worse and all the good backroads are getting swamped by subdivisions and 50 kph speed limits. Oh, and the worst drivers on the planet. I am glad folks want to move here. That will make it easy to sell our abode and get something better for half the price.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #163
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Spoiled? I don't think so. Starting to grow gills and tired of the gloomy winters. I'm one of those evil Easterners so winter doesn't bother me. No problem to adapt.

I miss having four seasons. At least you get sun after the snow. It's been fun here on the Island, but the traffic is getting worse and all the good backroads are getting swamped by subdivisions and 50 kph speed limits. Oh, and the worst drivers on the planet. I am glad folks want to move here. That will make it easy to sell our abode and get something better for half the price.
I was over in Gordon Head last fall for a family reunion, on my bike. I was behind 8 cars in a left hand turn lane, one that has a left turn green arrow. We sat through 1 complete left turn arrow blinking, and the rest of the light, with nobody moving, no horn honking, no movement. The second left turn arrow went up, 1/2 way through that I gave up, zoomed up along side in opposing lane and got through, they were still all sitting there looking blindly into space,,,fucking land of brain deads!!!!

Steve
Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #164
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Kootenay winters are pretty damn depressing. Rarely see the sun. Lots of rain/snow/low cloud.
Plus the humidity makes -14C seem damn cold. -14C in AB is a light jacket.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #165
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNF View Post
Kootenay winters are pretty damn depressing. Rarely see the sun. Lots of rain/snow/low cloud.
Plus the humidity makes -14C seem damn cold. -14C in AB is a light jacket.
I agree with you there. I used to live in Nelson when i was a kid,I hated the winters. I just purchased a house in Port Alberni, Very happy,Cheap,big lot,big house, And the weather is way better than Prince Rupert where i moved from. 50 inches less a year and much ,much hotter in the summer. I think people on the island have been spoiled,the weather is not that bad.Everybody all over B.C is complaining about the weather this past winter.For me the island is a big plus,close to everything and CHEAP!!!!!