Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #46
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
Good luck on your move to the Kootenays - sounds like your aversion to water is about as great as mine is to airports. I haven't enjoyed the increased development on the Island that I've witnessed over the years but I have still found some amazing areas to enjoy during the times I've visited. I have a brother that is finishing up 30 years of working in the Southeast B.C. area and he is making a bee line back to the Island, as well. So a bit of a family re-union is also a possibility though his target is Port Alberni.

I'll keep you informed on where I wind up Mach Z - hopefully you won't still be doing night shifts in the hangar next door, when I send you the invite. Hell, you might like my living situation so much, you might finally chuck living in the Lower Mainland for good this time. Just remember, the Island is even farther away from Alberta - that place you spent those cold 10 - 15 years doing fine service for that company.

Fishnbiker - you seem to have taken the same care at finding your eventual retirement spot, as I am doing. I'll be bouncing ideas off of you ongoing, if you don't mind.
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #47
OurBC
Live to Travel

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I have been living here since about 1993-4 and I can't wait to get off the Island. Too expensive for me to retire here. The drivers and traffic is getting worse (especially here in Victoria). They fix poor highway/road design by installing another fucking traffic light. Tired of taking half a day to grab a ferry, ride through the Fraser Valley/cross border to get to the good riding.

We are looking at moving to the Cranbrook/eastern B.C. area. Great riding, 4 seasons weather, close to border etc. A couple more years and we're out of here
Deuce makes some very good points about island living. The traffic is getting bad in Victoria, although not as bad as Vancouver, here when when you drive, you go fast slowly. I think between Langford and Duncan there are 20 or so traffic lights on Hwy 1 with an accident occuring every week or so shutting down the highway. Up island could be different but I do know driving through Duncan on Hwy 1 is a real pain.

Also besides all the traffic light issues they are making two lane roads into one lane in order to slow people down. For me the fast way to get around is by cycling my bike and utiziing the network of bike routes.

Unless you are utilizing what the main draw the island has to offer, that is access to the ocean, there are defintely other options in British Columbia.

OurBC screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 10:47 AM
OurBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #48
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Victoria would never be in my sights - unless the reason evolves that my employment changes to that area. Hopefully that will not be the case. Places north of Mill Bay and beyond are what I am considering.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #49
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
He'll probably feel better when it's sailing weather again
Good old Gus described to me his new neighbours over there in Saltair. He has a rather high sundeck that seems to overlook the guy next door. The owners of that home soon started complaining that when he uses his sundeck, he was invading their privacy. There is another old lady over the back fence who was also complaining of his presence. Now you and I both know that Gus and spouse keep to themselves and prefer to have a low profile, but he has chosen to take his neighbours on - which is very much out of character. I said to him: 'Let me guess, they're transplants from the Lower Mainland, aren't they?' He nodded and said they were.... I think I know why the last owners sold.

I should phone him and offer to trade homes - he might even accept. I'd move in and it would be game on with those assholes...
Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #50
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBC View Post
Deuce makes some very good points about island living. The traffic is getting bad in Victoria, although not as bad as Vancouver, here when when you drive, you go fast slowly. I think between Langford and Duncan there are 20 or so traffic lights on Hwy 1 with an accident occuring every week or so shutting down the highway. Up island could be different but I do know driving through Duncan on Hwy 1 is a real pain.

Also besides all the traffic light issues they are making two lane roads into one lane in order to slow people down. For me the fast way to get around is by cycling my bike and utiziing the network of bike routes.

Unless you are utilizing what the main draw the island has to offer, that is access to the ocean, there are defintely other options in British Columbia.
I have to laugh when people talk about how bad Vancouver traffic is. 'Vancouver' traffic sucks if you're living in Langley, although isn't that much of an issue if you're in the city. The Colwood Crawl, commuting from West Kelowna to Kelowna, Comox to Courtenay, Ladysmith to Nanaimo- it's all the same crap unless you head to the bush. We have poor community planning, due to everyone 'needing' a 3000ft2 home and three Walmarts. BC has got some amazing country and even more remarkable urban sprawl, and although I get pissed at all the 'other people', at the end of the day, I'm part of the problem too. If and when I ever leave, I think the South Okanagan would be the place to be.

Ultimately, if you can live close to where you work, it doesn't matter all that much as BC is pretty cool.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #51
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propfrwrd View Post
I have to laugh when people talk about how bad Vancouver traffic is. 'Vancouver' traffic sucks if you're living in Langley, although isn't that much of an issue if you're in the city. The Colwood Crawl, commuting from West Kelowna to Kelowna, Comox to Courtenay, Ladysmith to Nanaimo- it's all the same crap unless you head to the bush. We have poor community planning, due to everyone 'needing' a 3000ft2 home and three Walmarts. BC has got some amazing country and even more remarkable urban sprawl, and although I get pissed at all the 'other people', at the end of the day, I'm part of the problem too. If and when I ever leave, I think the South Okanagan would be the place to be.

Ultimately, if you can live close to where you work, it doesn't matter all that much as BC is pretty cool.

Yup, you nailed my thoughts exactly.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #52
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propfrwrd View Post
....Ultimately, if you can live close to where you work, it doesn't matter all that much as BC is pretty cool.
Very true, but he is looking for a place to retire when he quits working. If I was staying to retire on the Island I would be heading over the Malahat looking for a small home (1000 sq.ft) with a big shop/garage in the Cowichan Valley.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #53
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Very true, but he is looking for a place to retire when he quits working. If I was staying to retire on the Island I would be heading over the Malahat looking for a small home (1000 sq.ft) with a big shop/garage in the Cowichan Valley.

Is there any truth to my assumption that there is a bit of a 'weather umbrella' around there, less rain, more sun??
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #54
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
The owners of that home soon started complaining that when he uses his sundeck, he was invading their privacy.

I should phone him and offer to trade homes - he might even accept. I'd move in and it would be game on with those assholes...
Sounds like the folks next door to me who just moved out, they had "issues" with us sitting out in the back yard that I spent about 200 hours fixing up. We had a lot of fun with each other, but as soon as I got on strata for the second time they announced they were selling and moving out of the Lower Mainland.

They didn't realize that I'm actually a professional asshole for hire, it doesn't take much to flip the switch at home too
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #55
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
Sounds like the folks next door to me who just moved out, they had "issues" with us sitting out in the back yard that I spent about 200 hours fixing up. We had a lot of fun with each other, but as soon as I got on strata for the second time they announced they were selling and moving out of the Lower Mainland.

They didn't realize that I'm actually a professional asshole for hire, it doesn't take much to flip the switch at home too
If I must say so , I have felt my interactions with you to have been positive at all times so I don't accept your claim about being a jerk around here. Then again I make this claim about myself, and many that live here would not agree - and I am sure you know how I feel about them... I feel for Gus because he chose carefully where he would go for his final purchased home, and it hasn't been the bed of roses he thought it would be. I hope I don't make the same error of judgement in my next move. Mind you his sailboat is real close.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #56
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Is there any truth to my assumption that there is a bit of a 'weather umbrella' around there, less rain, more sun??
The whole lower Island has a bunch of 'micro climates'. The Cow Valley is one of them hence the proliferation of wineries and farms raising exotic animals and growing great fresh produce. Victoria gets 50% less rain the Vancouver. With the Olympics just across the water helping to push the weather over and around us we have it pretty good moisture wise. The drivers on the other hand are from another world . That topic has been beaten to death on an old thread so we won't go there.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #57
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Cumberland is my next move. Mountain biking is amazing, lake is nice, close to a good airport and the wife can go to Costco without driving four hours.

Cranbrook is AB cold, less snow than the west Kootenays, higher crime, housing is getting more expensive (but still cheaper than Nelson). But at least it has an airport that works.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #58
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 306
Parksville or Nanoose might be another place to poke around. More retirement people & facilities. Close to Qualicum airport. Any travel agreements with KD Air? Still not too close/far from Cassidy. Services seem adequate, close to Nanaimo, Pt Alberni & lots of backroads. Close enough to get together with us in CR for a coffee & ride. Weather is definitely better there than here.
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #59
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I was told not to look north of Campbell River unless you really like your raingear.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #60
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbiker View Post
Parksville or Nanoose might be another place to poke around. More retirement people & facilities. Close to Qualicum airport. Any travel agreements with KD Air? Still not too close/far from Cassidy. Services seem adequate, close to Nanaimo, Pt Alberni & lots of backroads. Close enough to get together with us in CR for a coffee & ride. Weather is definitely better there than here.
I have two siblings in Parksville/Qualicum. The family has strong ties to Qualicum - my Grandparents used to own the dairy farm that became the Pheasant Glen Golf Club. I spent many a day as a young lad in the Qualicum of old. KD Air has some of the same aircraft that I used to work on 25 years ago when I was working for the smaller outfits. They seem to be quite established but I'll give them a pass....

The back areas of Comox Lake were an old riding playground that I enjoyed many years ago - though the road to Port Alberni is now gated, I plan on replicating many of my old trips, when I'm a resident. Cumberland is growing like mad and I've given it a thorough look at on MLS.ca to see what's available. I'm still smitten with the Chemainus area because of some time I spent there many years ago. I still remember drinking beer in the Vesuvius Inn Pub many years ago and gazing across the channel to the east shore of Vancouver Island - I made the promise then that I would retire there when the time came. Good memmories.

I have had nothing but great interactions with the Riders on this forum who are lucky enough to call the Island their home - I have every intention of spending some time with you when the opportunity arises.