Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #91
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
If you don't like that ferry cost, dont even think of moving here, Now that our "liberal" government has fired their 1000 000 dollar a year ferry ceo, costs will be going up, services will be going down. Just to pay his 300 000 pension for the rest of his life for screwing it up so bad.

Those big ships burn a litre of diesel per second, the labour cost for one ship is probably $37-40 per second. The ships cost 300$ million no matter where they are made. Engines cost $300,000. Not defending the scoundrels that are running our province right now, but, please don't muddy the waters with political ideaology. It does not matter who runs the province, the costs to run this system are factual and will not change no matter who is running things in Victoria. Yes, the former boss got paid WAY too much, his pension is a joke. Please don't tell me things will be different with any other group of poloticians. It will not.
I consider it ethical, and correct for those who want to live in a 'rarified' , isolated, private, quiet, quaint, and some would say unspoiled place like an island, that they should pay the costs to get there and back,,,,not to ask those that do not live on an island to supplement this lifestyle they wish to choose. This is especially true on smaller islands upon which BC Ferries constantly loses money, yet often those that live there are in the highest eschellon of wage income. You want to live on an island, you pay for it.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #92
dilrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Stay put

Please encourage your friends--just stay where you are.
dilrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #93
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,015
You are saying that I should take steps to discourage others from migrating to the Island, aren't you? For a second there, I thought you were referring to me. True Island people are much more accepting of newcomers - you wouldn't happen to be a transplant, would you?
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #94
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilrod View Post
Please encourage your friends--just stay where you are.
Too late, I am already on my way
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #95
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Where are you moving to? Just curious.

Anyone live around the South Nanaimo through Lake Cowichan area? I'd like to hear what you think of the area.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #96
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post

Anyone live around the South Nanaimo through Lake Cowichan area? I'd like to hear what you think of the area.
I bought a house in Port Alberni,Cheapest place on the island. Hot summers and if it rains,just a short drive out of there.And it is a lot less rain then where i am coming from.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #97
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

And yes, i have been there before.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #98
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ah - my old home town..... Which area did you buy in?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #99
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Really, if you care enough about your ferry costs to post it here as a complaint. You should understand that costs will be going up, service will be going down. That's just news. Once you are here you are stuck with it. Then you can decide if the issue is an ideological one or not.
For now its just a component of a move decision. Sorry if you do not appreciate it being pointed out to you.
Pongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #100
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry to upset you...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #101
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

My dad bought On the island many years ago,and was worried about being held hostage by the ferry system,Well no worries, he has never left since he got there.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #102
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ah - my old home town..... Which area did you buy in?
We have lots of family there,And this is actually our 3 rd house we have owned there.Have never lived there yet,But i am retiring in july and am moving from Prince Rupert.So after Rupert any where else will be dry

And already have lots of riding buddies in the area,so will have lots to do.And with 4 different bikes i think i have all the angles covered. I bought a big house with big property on 17th st,just down from the new hospital{ Kind of handy} There is other places on the island i like better,but for bang for the buck, Port Alberni cannot be beat.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #103
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I don't plan on leaving the Island very often either when the time comes and if I do it will be by bike or airliner. I know the area you bought in quite well - we built a house on the corner of 16th and Redford back in the '70s. Compared to Rupert, Alberni pales in comparison rain wise, though the 450 mls they had in November a few years ago, would remind you of your former home. The rain never much bothered me, but the temperature inversions for the whole month of January always left a bad feel for the winters. I was there a few weeks ago and drove right down the Hump into the clag. Recreation wise, you will have a ball - lots of riding and whatever else you could imagine. Enjoy and good luck.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #104
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 566
Quote:

Hey Jack

Haven't read this whole thread but saw your question about Lake Cowichan. A guy I worked with retired to Lake Cowichan from Deep Cove in North Vancouver. He then sold his place in Lake Cowichan cause he couldn't stand all the rain in the winter and the 300 ft ceiling above the lake. Must be bad if a guy from North Van. couldn't take it. Enjoy your retirement.

p.s. He is now in Shawnigan Lake and happy there last I heard.

Blair

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #105
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good to hear from you Blair!

I was just reading recently where the rain was actually on the low side of things over there - I guess I got that wrong. Supposedly the weather systems come off the Pacific and roar through the Cowichan Valley - no mountains to hold them back. Sort of like Victoria. The endless cloud thing would harken me back to the dark days of Port Alberni - don't want to re-live that experience again. Shawnigan Lake is a pretty spot but I think the prices are up there because of the proximity to Victoria. Rain I can handle, dark and cloudy no.