User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #166
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,203
congratulations

well done to Safariberg , Pilbara and Hillbilly , all finished and by my calculations all were on the podium in that order !!!

great effort by Pilbara and Hillbilly for wrestling those big bikes around the rally circuit.Just got home and got the photo's uploading as I type.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #167
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post
well done to Safariberg , Pilbara and Hillbilly , all finished and by my calculations all were on the podium in that order !!!
great effort by Pilbara and Hillbilly for wrestling those big bikes around the rally circuit.Just got home and got the photo's uploading as I type.
:c lap

Cheers for a good weekend boys.

Hill Billy, you had everyone admiring your efforts on the "pig"
Not my name for it. It was officially dubbed "the pig"
Who else rode their bike there, raced and then rode it home?

Pilbara's bile is just plain animal.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #168
angryad
Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer: 1,440
cant wait for pics and stories!!

the live tming died in the arse todat. did ya get any rain out that way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pQk4k_xXC3k
angryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #169
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
The reason the timing died is because the second half of todays stages got cancelled due to a bush fire which created a bit of turmoil.

I must say a big thanks to my dedicated support crew , Bully, Neil, and Waitsey. They continuously tested the beer all afternoon to ensure it was at the correct temperature, and when I got off the bike there was one waiting for me. A job well done boys.
I had a great weekend and the fat pig never missed a beat. in fact it never even fell over. A big thanks must go to Jaybo and the army of volunteers that make these events work.
Congrats to SafariBerg for his class win and a special mention to Pilbara for wrestling the big 950 around in a very respectable time too.
Hill Billy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #170
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,203
here's a couple

this is all the competitors at the finish , with class winners in the front.

Safariberg waiting on the start line for one of the special stages.

Pilbara on the big beast, this is a pretty trick bit of kit.

Hillbilly set to launch the pig .

BMW service area.

KTM sevice area

BMW service crew, hard at work, changing tyres, cleaning filters, checking chains and sprockets, working out gearing ratios, washing and cleaning bike between specials.

Pilbara getting it sideways

Hillbilly taking the wideline.

Damien Grabham had a bit of an issue, I think he ran out of spokes !!

going to have a bit of work to do on that one before Condo next weekend.

Ben Grabhams bike is pretty trick

hence the new saying over here in the west, no longer are you "busier than a 1 armed wall paper hanger " it is now "busier than a KTM mechanic ".

Grabbo's mechanic was flat out all weekend, and carried a complete spare, brand new bike in the van for parts. Oh to have the coin for that.

the new side by side class in the Can Ams and the Polaris's are VERY quick, they are limited to 120 kph apparently but are able to carry a lot of speed into corners, all of the S x S would have finished in the top 10 of the bikes.

even "Kenny "showed up to take a look at the crappers.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy

bully1 screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 04:45 PM
bully1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #171
FIIG Rick
FAT CHICKS NEED LOVIN TOO

Oddometer: 695
Well done guys, how was it Howard? As you expected?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #172
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

I don't understand. I had a bigger bike. I should have been faster.

Dvr: Ben GRABHAM - NSW
Co-Dvr: -
Veh: KTM EXC
Class: E2
StagePenaltyPos
SS1
SS2
SS3 Kinky 1 (2012)10:05.9 1
SS4 Ferndale 118:32.8 1
SS5 Ellis 112:55.6 1
SS6 Healthway05:24.8 1
SS7 Kinky 2 (2012)09:34.6 1
SS8 Ferndale 218:21.5 1
SS9 Nannup Oval 100:47.2 1
SS10 Nannup Oval 200:45.1 1
SS11
SS12
SS13 Brockman 113:11.8 1
SS14 Folly 105:53.9 1
SS15 Healthway Loop 108:19.3 1
SS16 Ellis 212:50.4 1
SS17
SS18 Healthway Loop 2
SS19 Folly 2
SS20 Helium
Dvr: Howard BATHGATE - WA
Co-Dvr: -
Veh: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Class: E3
StagePenaltyPos
SS1
SS2
SS3 Kinky 1 (2012)13:37.5 23
SS4 Ferndale 125:55.0 21
SS5 Ellis 117:36.8 22
SS6 Healthway07:06.7 18
SS7 Kinky 2 (2012)13:16.4 18
SS8 Ferndale 224:42.2 19
SS9 Nannup Oval 100:57.2 17
SS10 Nannup Oval 200:54.1 17
SS11
SS12
SS13 Brockman 117:39.4 18
SS14 Folly 107:49.8 19
SS15 Healthway Loop 110:19.1 15
SS16 Ellis 218:06.1 19
SS17
SS18 Healthway Loop 2
SS19 Folly 2
SS20 Helium
Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #173
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIIG Rick View Post
Well done guys, how was it Howard? As you expected?

Yes, pretty much Rick.
I wasn't really sure exactly what to expect, but it was a fantastic event. the worst part for me was all the waiting around you have to do.
The roads that the cars use were probably a bit rougher than I had anticipated, so it wasn't as much fun as tearing up a manicured gravel road, not that I would do that.
The moto deviations varied quite a lot but were quite managable on the pig. there were only a couple of steep rocky hills that offered any real challenge. I was more concerned about damaging the bike than not being able to do it.
For me the main aim was to finish with the bike still in one piece so I could ride home afterwards. I was happy to manage that without dropping it at all, and to not be last was a surprise and a bonus as well.
The funniest bit was hearing all the sniggering going on all over the place about some dickhead turning up on a GS.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #174
neilaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Billy View Post
I don't understand. I had a bigger bike. I should have been faster.
You had happier spanner men.

Quote:
The funniest bit was hearing all the sniggering going on all over the place about some dickhead turning up on a GS.
Sorry mate, that was us.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #175
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post

I'm a little confused about this one.
The Supp regs lists the E3 class as 501cc to open.
The entry form suggests it is 550cc to open
The official entry list has all the KTM 500,s and 530's, which I believe are all 510cc, in the E2 class.
the results page on the RallyWA website has one of the 530,s in E3 and the rest in E2

I would have thought the Supp regs would be the bible and that would put all those orange half-bikes in E3, which would have a significant impact on the class results.
But I guess there are smarter people than me working it all out so I'll leave it to them.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #176
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
I'm a little confused about this one.
The Supp regs lists the E3 class as 501cc to open.
The entry form suggests it is 550cc to open
The official entry list has all the KTM 500,s and 530's, which I believe are all 510cc, in the E2 class.
the results page on the RallyWA website has one of the 530,s in E3 and the rest in E2

I would have thought the Supp regs would be the bible and that would put all those orange half-bikes in E3, which would have a significant impact on the class results.
But I guess there are smarter people than me working it all out so I'll leave it to them.
I'll double check on this, but the official results sheet was supposed to have been corrected for the case of the 530 in E3. (It was correct in the results sheet Lynne and I had in our hands at the podium!). This may not have been used for the web site?

I'll check into the contradiction of classes between the entry form and the Supp Regs. Unfortunately this seems to have been carried over for 3 years now stemming originally from using the Yilgarn Supp Regs that had a gap between 500cc and 550cc. Now we have an overlap and still have problems! I'll make it my mission to get it sorted for next year. The idea of deviating from the GCRs was to recognise that open really means open, whereas that's not the case for enduro. (Funny that no-one mentioned it before the event when filling out the entry forms. It's like reading the manual just after you've poured a litre of engine oil in the radiator overflow tank in an effort to get rid of that low oil pressure light on the dash - like a work colleague recently did!. Came to ask me two days later if she should put more oil in because the light was still on after three days of driving around! The came back to see me later to ask what she should do when she'd realised her mistake (while pouring the second litre into the radiator overflow tank), so I suggested she pour a couple of litres of water in the oil filler untill the light went out and everything would balance out. I believe the car has since gone to the auctions).

BTW - well done on bringing the big bike home in one piece with no damage to rider or bike ... and with some bikes behind you in the results! For me it was absolutely fantastic to see you there and hopefully it will encourage others to give it a go and have a blast. It was exactly what I had in mind when the event was first mooted a few years ago - locals using their "ready at hand" bikes with a roadbook and ICO bolted on. The fact you rode it to and from the event was icing on the cake for me. Awesome job!

Wasn't Ben Grabham a great competitor and ambassador for the sport too?
See you next year?
Cheers
JayBo
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #177
rallye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
forrest rally

Had a great time on the weekend ,not knowing what to expect ,very well organized ,great people and great tracks.
Even though the feild was small there was great range of competitors ,from Ben Grabham to the ordinary guys having a go for the first time.
I really liked the format of fast rally roads to the offroad enduro tracks we got a taste of.
the gravel rally roads were so fast ,but i was very surprised there was not one injury to a bike rider ,even with the high speeds that everyone was doing.
Was great to ride against Ben Grabham ,although i don't think he was breaking a sweat too often ,more like a casual trail ride for him ,with everyone else gassing it to the limit ,i think he was only doing enough to stay clear up front.
A big thanks to John B, Lyn and all the organisers ,they did a graet job for a small group of riders.
i think ill be back next year .
rallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #178
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
You had happier spanner men.

Sorry mate, that was us.
You idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Funny that no-one mentioned it before the event when filling out the entry forms.
I didn't take any notice at the time because I was clearly in E3 either way.

BTW - well done on bringing the big bike home in one piece with no damage to rider or bike ... and with some bikes behind you in the results! For me it was absolutely fantastic to see you there and hopefully it will encourage others to give it a go and have a blast. It was exactly what I had in mind when the event was first mooted a few years ago - locals using their "ready at hand" bikes with a roadbook and ICO bolted on. The fact you rode it to and from the event was icing on the cake for me. Awesome job!
Thanks.
I would only reccommend taking a big adventure bike to this event if you are very confident on it. But I think it would be fairly manageable for most on a 650 adv bike.
You certainly don't need a 450 handgrenade to do it.
If you just want to have some fun and don't expect to be at the pointy end of the field, do it.
As for riding there and back, I bet I was more comfortable on the bike than I would have been in a series 2A LandRover.

See you next year?
I suspect you will.
Cheers
JayBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallye View Post
Had a great time on the weekend ,not knowing what to expect ,very well organized ,great people and great tracks.
Even though the feild was small there was great range of competitors ,from Ben Grabham to the ordinary guys having a go for the first time.
I really liked the format of fast rally roads to the offroad enduro tracks we got a taste of.
the gravel rally roads were so fast ,but i was very surprised there was not one injury to a bike rider ,even with the high speeds that everyone was doing.
Was great to ride against Ben Grabham ,although i don't think he was breaking a sweat too often ,more like a casual trail ride for him ,with everyone else gassing it to the limit ,i think he was only doing enough to stay clear up front.
A big thanks to John B, Lyn and all the organisers ,they did a graet job for a small group of riders.
i think ill be back next year .
I forgot about you being an ADVer Rallye.
A fantastic effort for 2nd overall

And GT was 2nd Quad home and 5th overall.
Hopefully he will be along soon with some onboard video of a crash he had in the last stage which only half of us completed before the fire. So fortunately for him, the stage was cancelled.

Here is the pig on a Honda hunt.

Which was unsuccesful at this point due to an absense of traction, so I got a face full of gravel instead.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #179
neilaction

A few vids. Click on em.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #180
neilaction

Pics