Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #16
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
But are the special stages taped, with arrows and caution markers (like other ARC rally events I suppose), or is that only at the various "spectator" locations along the SS. yes

That is to say; if Fred Gumby (me) is on the start line... and if I just dawdle off and follow the markers (not look at the book) will I come out at the other end at the finish control? yes

Or... like at the Safari or Yilgarn/Condo... if I do not navigate the routechart... is there the possibility to get lost on the special stages? no, not in 2010/2011

As I understand it, ARC events have bunting/arrows and cautions (both the !! and the !!! varieties, visually marked on course?) yes
but in 2012 due to the diversions navigation will be required or you will miss part of the course that the ARC boys do not go on.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:47 AM   #17
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
but in 2012 due to the diversions navigation will be required or you will miss part of the course that the ARC boys do not go on.
Aha! and THESE (moto/quads only) diversions are laid out in the roadbook... but NOT visually marked/cautioned or taped? You have to "find" them from the trip/roadbook?

In this respect, how do the organisers verify that you follow the "diversion" and do not set a "wonder" time, by just tooling along the ARC course for example?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Aha! and THESE (moto/quads only & UTV SXS) diversions are laid out in the roadbook... but NOT visually marked/cautioned or taped? You have to "find" them from the trip/roadbook? yes

In this respect, how do the organisers verify that you follow the "diversion" and do not set a "wonder" time, by just tooling along the ARC course for example?
Pretty sure there will be prying eyes on the course ticking all competitors off as you go by on the diversion........no tick = penalty
Old 01-31-2012, 02:57 AM   #19
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
Pretty sure there will be prying eyes on the course ticking all competitors off as you go by on the diversion........no tick = penalty
Aha... ze good ol' "control de passage" a la'; biro and an A-4 sheet of paper... "The original... and - in some cases - still the best!"

Sounds like fun... is the moto class interest picking up for these events... more than just the Quit WA Round of the ARC...?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #20
angryad
Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
Yep, be happy to.

A bunch of us rode down to it one year. Had a ball.
i still have a vomit stain on my ADV shirt courtesy of the Nannup pub hospitality....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pQk4k_xXC3k
angryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryad View Post
i still have a vomit stain on my ADV shirt courtesy of the Nannup pub hospitality....
It was a big night.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #22
angryad
Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
It was a big night.
im probably banned fom the place. I did leave a few deposits from my room down the hall and into the toilet block.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pQk4k_xXC3k
angryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #23
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIIG Rick View Post
Was thinkin of giving it a go but might be a bit fat and a bit old for it, how serious do they take it, is there a "fat and old" class I could compete in? Or am I just kidding myself?
I was thinking of doing this on the GS a couple of years ago just for a bit of a laugh, then I saw the entry fee and my interest quickly died off. I can't remember how much it was but I remember thinking it was very poor value compared to the Yilgarn Rallye.
Just my opinion of course.
Hill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #24
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Billy View Post
I was thinking of doing this on the GS a couple of years ago just for a bit of a laugh, then I saw the entry fee and my interest quickly died off. I can't remember how much it was but I remember thinking it was very poor value compared to the Yilgarn Rallye.
hear what you are saying...............been working on it, maybe 2013 will see a change.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Press Release

QUIT FOREST RALLY PROMISES ACTION A PLENTY ON FOURWHEELS AS WELL AS ON TWO

Australia’s leading off road enduro bike riders, quad-bike exponents and the newly announced Side by Side ATV challenge competitors will do battle over a challenging enduro course as part of the upcoming Quit Forest Rally at Busselton in WA on 31 March-1April, which will also be round two of this year’s Bosch Australian Rally Championship.

While the car competitors in the Bosch ARC will lead the Quit Forest rally away the impressive array of Side by Sides, enduro bikes and quads will attract plenty of attention from fans and some of the top riders and drivers in the category from all over Australia.

The motos, quads and Side by Sides will cover close to 200 kilometres over two days using much of the rally route along with some select detours from the car event to spice up the challenge for the off road machines.

According to Ross Tapper, clerk of course for the Quit Forest Rally the Moto and Side by Side section of the event will present a wide variety of challenges for the bikes, quads and side by sides with all of the back up and safety that comes with a round of the Bosch ARC.

“It is fair to say that the Quit Forest Rally has quickly established itself as one of the major events on the Australian Moto calendar and it is seen as a good warm up for the national enduro calendar and certainly one of the most challenging,” said Tapper.

“The inclusion of the Side by Sides gives the event even greater ‘critical mass’ ensuring our viability but more importantly competitors will have an array of conditions and challenges over the rally route.

“Spectators will also have plenty of action from the Bosch ARC cars, the Classics and the new SUV category as well as the motos, quads and side by sides,” Tapper added.

Headlining the moto entry will be four time winner and reigning Finke Desert Race champ, KTM works enduro rider Ben Grabham along with his brother Husaberg works rider Damien Grabham who is the defending Quit Forest Rally moto champ.

The pair will headline a huge Moto category in the rally while the quad bikes and the newly added Side by Side categories are set to have equally impressive entries.

Three-times Australian Rally Champ Cody Crocker will be piloting the works backed Polaris RZR in the side by Side Challenge at Quit Forest Rally making a comeback to an event he has won in the past with Subaru. Fighting it out with him and the many privateer Side by Side competitors will be former WRC campaigner Michael Guest who is the factory driver for CanAm.

‘The fact that two of Australia’s best motoenduro riders are travelling all the way from Bathurst in NSW to tackle the Quit Forest Rally says something about what we have achieved with the event over the past few years,” said Ross Tapper.

“Above all we have set out to make it a fun event and one that everyone can enjoy with 216 kilometres of competitive stages with many of the stages in clear felled forests which will mean spectators will be able to see the cars, bikes, quads and side by sides for vast distances,” he said.

The rally will again kick off on the evening of Friday 30 March with the hugely popular Busselton Toyota Super Special Stage on the foreshore in Busselton before hitting the forests around Nannup 100km inland on Saturday and Sunday.

The Quit Forest Rally is now one of the major events each year for WA’s popular South Western region and is sure to draw huge crowds to the Busselton stage and in the forests across the weekend.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #26
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Billy View Post
There's a number of reasons for the entry fee being what it is, but we are looking at the possibility of some change. On the bikes/quads/whatever, you get the same(ish) route, controls and event infrastructure as the cars that pay waaaay more in entry (even for the non ARC classes). As it is, the car guys question why the bikes and quads get to do the event for so much less entry money.

Imagine if the Yilgarn had a new class (say "side by side" buggies) and to attract entries they made the entry fee half of the "value for money" entry everyone else pays. How long before "everyone else" starts to grumble? Yet that's the exact situation we have with the QFR with the bikes/quads/whatever paying a pittance in comparison to the other classes (rally cars). Now factor in that unlike the Yilgarn we can't accommodate many entries. Yilgarn wants as many as it can get but QFR needs to limit the entries to fit a narrow available time slot around the ARC. If the entry fee was the same as Yilgarn and we got 100 entries, that's a lot of entries to turn down and a lot of disappointed people. It's a "no win" really.

Having said all that, there may be some room for movement as I indicated earlier. It'd be nice to have 30 entries rather than the 12 - 15 we have gotten previously, and if the entry fee is preventing that then we need to look at it - hopefully without upsetting the car teams.

On the "value for money" I can say this: The excitement and "atmosphere" at the QFR when the riders came in was faaar more enthusiastic than I've seen at the Yilgarn. The grins and excited chatter, the bench racing, was fevourish. Even right from the start with the Super Special Stage in Busselton, the atmosphere was electric. The spectators LOVED it, and to watch the car drivers come in from a stage and then jump out of the cars and run to the track side to watch the bikes was awesome. I'll try and make a point this year of getting some comments from the competitors (not team managers Gary) to see how they feel about "value for money". I'll also look into how many of the entries are "return" entries - those that have come back for more despite the cost. That must say something.

Cheers
JayBo (Clerk of Course for QFR Moto)
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #27
FIIG Rick
FAT CHICKS NEED LOVIN TOO

Oddometer: 690
So, how much is it?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #28
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
There's a number of reasons for the entry fee being what it is, but we are looking at the possibility of some change. On the bikes/quads/whatever, you get the same(ish) route, controls and event infrastructure as the cars that pay waaaay more in entry (even for the non ARC classes). As it is, the car guys question why the bikes and quads get to do the event for so much less entry money.

Imagine if the Yilgarn had a new class (say "side by side" buggies) and to attract entries they made the entry fee half of the "value for money" entry everyone else pays. How long before "everyone else" starts to grumble? Yet that's the exact situation we have with the QFR with the bikes/quads/whatever paying a pittance in comparison to the other classes (rally cars). Now factor in that unlike the Yilgarn we can't accommodate many entries. Yilgarn wants as many as it can get but QFR needs to limit the entries to fit a narrow available time slot around the ARC. If the entry fee was the same as Yilgarn and we got 100 entries, that's a lot of entries to turn down and a lot of disappointed people. It's a "no win" really.

Having said all that, there may be some room for movement as I indicated earlier. It'd be nice to have 30 entries rather than the 12 - 15 we have gotten previously, and if the entry fee is preventing that then we need to look at it - hopefully without upsetting the car teams.

On the "value for money" I can say this: The excitement and "atmosphere" at the QFR when the riders came in was faaar more enthusiastic than I've seen at the Yilgarn. The grins and excited chatter, the bench racing, was fevourish. Even right from the start with the Super Special Stage in Busselton, the atmosphere was electric. The spectators LOVED it, and to watch the car drivers come in from a stage and then jump out of the cars and run to the track side to watch the bikes was awesome. I'll try and make a point this year of getting some comments from the competitors (not team managers Gary) to see how they feel about "value for money". I'll also look into how many of the entries are "return" entries - those that have come back for more despite the cost. That must say something.

Cheers
JayBo (Clerk of Course for QFR Moto)
John, I have no doubt that it is good value for some and the atmosphere and general buzz about the event is fantastic.
The reason my post concluded with "Just my opinion of course" is because I didn't have an appropriate bike, not to mention some skills, to enter the event in any sort of competitive spirit. And if I did enter it would have only have been to have a bit of fun and I almost certainly would have been the slowest by quite a bit, therefore it didn't represent good value to me.
My post was in response to FIIG Rick's question about a class for the less serious and I offered my opinion.
I agree that you shouldn't discount a certain class because entrants in other classes will get all bent out of shape and rightly so.
How much is the entry fee for the cars?
Good luck for this year's event. I hope it gets bigger and better.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #29
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIIG Rick View Post
So, how much is it?
Can't speak for this year but last year's sup regs says $500

Did you end up taking that job in Ravensthorpe Richard?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #30
FIIG Rick
FAT CHICKS NEED LOVIN TOO

Oddometer: 690
$500 is a bit up there, but not out of the question, my birthday on that weekend so might still look at it, for a laugh anyway, yeh took the job in ravy, all good, sold the GSA last week, that sucked arse!
Just waiting on some new fork springs from the states for the Frankenbike