Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #31
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 260
This is how I left it tonight

Od drugi dan

Tomorow I am going to paint the subframe and some small parts. I didn't want to paint it before, because when I fiddle with a lot of metal parts, I tend to scratch them, so now, when I know where everything is going to be, I can grind of a lot of tabs that I am not going to use, so I can have a nice and clean profiles so I can make the moulds for the fiberglass bodywork :-) I can't wait to start

Od drugi dan

I managed to get rid of some small metal brackets and stuff, so I will save couple of punds on the weight, so with the Givi brackets, it should be back to factory weight, which is around 200 Kilograms and that is not so bad for a 23 year old :-)

Od drugi dan
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #32
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
With those givis on you won't be doing too much lane splitting. Looking good otherwise
thomas.tc.young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #33
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Yes, it wil be as wide as the Versys, but I am not going to mount the cases when I am in the city, I still have to decide If this is going to be the final version.

I am obviously getting older, so I am not in a hurry to finish the bike as fast as possible, but I am taking my time and really enjoying the build. Every single bolt on this thing was in my hand, so I definitely know this bike by heart :-)
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #34
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Just checking the ergonomics with my leggy blonde :-) It is still very low because there are no tyres, so it will go up another 10 cm or so

Od drugi dan

Od drugi dan
Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #35
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

I sourced a pair of nice USD forks from a Kawasaki zx7r. The owner is selling the whole assembly: forks, top and bottom triangles, bearings, brake calipers, wheel, discs and fender.

The price for everything is around 350 euros, what do you thing, is it a good deal? The good thing is the brake calipers are the same ones as I have on my bike, and he said they are completely overhauled and ready to go, so I hope that I am not going to have much trouble combining them with my master cylinder, although I am going to have steel braided hoses made by a professional

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

Od USD Fork

What do you think, is it worth a hassle?

Advices and coments are much welcome and appreciated :-)

Cheers,

Andrija
Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #36
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Well, I bought the USD forks, which makes me really happy, and it means that I have resolved my biggest issue with this bike, and that is the front suspension, and nice big enduro bars. I am going to pick them up in two days and can't wait to mount them on the bike :-)

This is basically the inspiration for this build:

Od inspiration

Od inspiration

Od inspiration

It is definitely going to be flat tracker / adventure tourer kind of a bike :-) I know that a 100 horsepower 14.000 RPM engine is a huge overkill for this kind of a ride but I think that it is going to suit my gravel thirst needs quite nicely

Comments and advices are quite welcome

Cheers,

andrija
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #37
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

THE USD Forks :-)

Finally, I picked up my new package of parts :-)

I got the complete Kawasaki ZXR 750 R -M Front end ( 1994)

-Completely refurbished USD forks, new seals, oil, springs etc. it works flawlesly
-top and botom triangles
wheel with new bearings and seals and discs in great condition
-front fender
-brake fluid divider with longer steel braided hose that goes to the master cylinder ( ideal for my enduro steering handlebar )
- brake calipers, the same as I have on the zzr, so it will be a good source of spare parts
- he even put the handlebar risers in the package, but they are going to need some modification to fit in

Od new USD

Od new USD

Od new USD

Od new USD

Od new USD

Od new USD

Od new USD

The forks are pretty much the same height so there will not be much change in the geometry of the bike...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #38
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

The weight of the forks is pretty much the same, but USD ones look much beefier, and they work well, because my original ones were badly repaired and were all flimsy an what not.

Od new USD

Od new USD

I am going to take both tripple trees to the machine shop an have them machine or swap center columns from zzr to zxr tripple trees, so I can keep original top and bottom bearings and continue with the build

Od new USD

I am still deciding on the colour of the brake calipers. I am not sure about the red ones, so maybe they go black or even white, I will have to sleep on that one :-)

Od new USD

I am looking forward to getting this part finished so I can buy the tires and finally roll this bike around and start working on the ergonomics and electrics. I am still trying to source a nice rear monoshock but it is a real pain in the ass to find a good working one, and unfortunately, no one can repair the existing one so I will keep it untill I find a better one.

I am really happy with how easy this bike is to work with, It takes around 5 minutes to replace the rear shock, or 10 minutes to completely dissasemble the front end.

Cheers

andrija
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #39
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

While waiting for my stem manufacturing and swap, I starded to overhaul the zxr brakes. Previous owner said that he cleaned them, but I wanted to take them apart and make sure everything is ok. They were not locked and I conected them to a air compressor and pistons poped out with no problem, and they don't seem damaged or something, but I found a lot of grainy bits inside the calipers, so I cleaned everything out. There was some dirt residue and I also found a human hair inside, so I will remove all of the paint, replace the rubber dust seals. Oil seals seem to be fine, so I will leave them in place. Although zzr and zxr Tokico calipers seem to be the same, there are few little differences, and zxr calipers and pots are around 100 grams lighter than the zzr ones, so I will go with the zxr ones for now, I think they will work OK for my needs.

Od brakes

Here is everything takne apart and nicely labeled and separated.

Od brakes

Od brakes

Od brakes

Od brakes

Od brakes

There was a lot of gunk on the pots, so I will polish them to the maximum, so they are again nice and shinny :-)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #40
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Here is a comparisson of the weight between zzr and zxr tripple assembly

Od 29. siječnja 2013.

Od 29. siječnja 2013.

zxr is 1 kilogram lighter and I have a riser which I have to shave off, so I will loose few hundred grams here aswell

Od 29. siječnja 2013.

The weight of a zzr fork tube is 3200 grams with no oil, and the zxr one is 4300 grams with oil inside
So it means that a zzr assembly is cca 10 kilograms, and the zxr is 10600 grams for the whole assembly, so there will not be much of a weight gain on the front end and it should remain light and responsive
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #41
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Looking good. Have to say that bike looked pretty scary in the start of all this, but you got it coming together.

What's your plan for the rear shock?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #42
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Yes, I know, it was a heap of rusty and greasy junk when I bought it, but the main part, the engine is rock solid and works flawlessly, and the rest of the bike is made of aluminium so it just needed a good sandblasting and fresh paint and I presume that it will be ok for the next 20 years or so when I finish upgrading it :-)

Also, me keeping it in the garden and on the snow and rain didn't help the "presentation" of the project I presume, but now when it is in a warm and dry place, it gets all the lovin it deserves.

Regarding a rear suspension, well, I have few options:

1. replace the original spring with the newer one and ride it that way untill the shock dies ( it is a 2002 shock, so it is not 23 years old )

2. find a newer generation shock somefhere ( the bike was sold untill 2008. ) so the shocks are available still

3. I found some new(ish) shocks for other models, and I can fit a zzr 1100, zxr, zx12 and few other shocks without too much modification on the mounts, and I just need a new lower shock swing which can be easily conected to the swingarm and the frame. I think that I will go this route, because I really want a stiff and responsive rear end, to match the performance of the front forks and balance it all up.

Thank you for the comment and the interest

cheers

andrija
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #43
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

update

hy folks, here is a small update :-)

Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #44
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

I finaly got some time to make a conversion from ZX6D fork to ZX7R USD fork. Finally the bike is a roller, I have put new road tires on for the summer, and in the fall I will mount something with more grip for the offroad use. Currently it is sitting as a kind of a scrambler/flat tracker. Next week I have to pick up a new steeringg, headlight, blinkers, speedo and few other gadgets so I can finish the sucker :-)

Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #45
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Racing red calipers :-)