Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #121
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
I am still waiting for my order of original kawasaki parts from Japan that I need to finish the engine and start it up, so during the weekend I sorted the rear suspension and the givi lugage finally

I is still sitting very low at the rear end, so I need even shorter dogbones

Rear lugage cariers mockup

Looking sexy :-)

To close

There needs to be at least 3-5 cm more of gight at the back

This is going to be a setup without some sort of a woman on the back seat :-)

When I lower the front a bit and highten the rear, It is going to get a bit nicer stance. I still don't know what the ride will be, so there will be a lot of tinkering untill I get it right. Trial and eror :-)

aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #122
BigPigDaddy
ADV Dreamin'

Oddometer: 20
Great job!

I am amazed at how resourceful you are. Can't wait to see pics of you blasting down a gravel road soon.

Don't infringe on my rights because someone else abused theirs!
BigPigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #123
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Thanks :-) I am using what I can get my hands on, so there is a lot of improvisation but I am having a great fun
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #124
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Finally, today I got my parts that I ordered couple of weeks ago, all of the gaskets and the seals and the filters that I needed to finish the engine overhaul. I also ordered a rear caliper repair kit, new seals and new front 16 tooth sprocket, so it will lower a gearing a bit comparing to the stock 17T one, which is good, because with the naked setup of the bike, I really doubt that I will need the 150+ mph performance from this bike. 100 mph will be more than enough, so I will also change the rear one when the time comes to something a bit bigger to get more midrange useability

I have so much busines s lately which is good from one perspective, but I just can't find spare time to work on the bike. So between clients comming in my office and all of the meetings, I sneak into the back garden and work on the bike :-) I hope that I will manage to free up a whole day tomorow to finish the bike and start it up finally :-)
Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #125
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
*cough* *cough*

L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #126
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
*cough* *cough*

Hy, long time no see :-) Unfortunately, I had really tough few months. My father past away so I had to spend a lot of time at my mothers house, I also broke up with my girlfriend so there is a lot of partying and sailing involved and not too much work on the bike has been done.

I hope that I will get my boost soon so I can finish this bike. I rode the strom durring the summer, so I haven't been completely bikeless :-)

I will post updates as something new is done

to do list:

1. finish the wiring
  2. rear blinkers
  3. gass, clutch and choke wires
  4. air the brakes
  5. fill it up with gass
  6. MOT
  7. DONE :-)
There is not much work left, which is kinda nice

Thank you for the interest
Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 AM   #127
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
8. Do a run at a drag strip
9. List 0-100km times!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #128
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxrneet View Post
8. Do a run at a drag strip
9. List 0-100km times!
Ha ha ha, I am not sure that is going to happen :-) I think 0-100 (kilometers) is somewhere around 3 seconds and 402 meters is around 11 seconds but this is not what this bike is really about :-) It is a cheap beater that will hopefully never get stolen :-)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #129
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by aposaric View Post
Hy, long time no see :-) Unfortunately, I had really tough few months. My father past away so I had to spend a lot of time at my mothers house, I also broke up with my girlfriend so there is a lot of partying and sailing involved and not too much work on the bike has been done.

I hope that I will get my boost soon so I can finish this bike. I rode the strom durring the summer, so I haven't been completely bikeless :-)

I will post updates as something new is done

to do list:

1. finish the wiring
  2. rear blinkers
  3. gass, clutch and choke wires
  4. air the brakes
  5. fill it up with gass
  6. MOT
  7. DONE :-)
There is not much work left, which is kinda nice

Thank you for the interest
Awe, sorry to hear, mate My Dad just passed away not too long ago as well, so I feel for you.

I wish you and your family best thoughts.

It will be a great relief to get your bike up and going again, I bet!

Looking forward to seeing the completion
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #130
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Awe, sorry to hear, mate My Dad just passed away not too long ago as well, so I feel for you.

I wish you and your family best thoughts.

It will be a great relief to get your bike up and going again, I bet!

Looking forward to seeing the completion
Hy, thank you :-) Well, yes, it was quite of a shock with my fathers death, but there is nothing to do about it, but I was feeling quite sad for the last couple of weeks so the bike is going to wait until I am feeling better ;-)

Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #131
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Did you sort the dogbones?
A common trick was to swap in ZX11 dogbones, got the rear up around 20mm over stock. It is a unique size shock & linkage, which 20yrs later makes backyard improvements a bit of a PITA.
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #132
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Did you sort the dogbones?
A common trick was to swap in ZX11 dogbones, got the rear up around 20mm over stock. It is a unique size shock & linkage, which 20yrs later makes backyard improvements a bit of a PITA.
Yes, I found a dude who owns a wrecked ZZR 1100 so he is going to sell me his dogbones. It is not so hard to source the parts for this bike here, they were really popular here in Europe, so there is tons of parts available, and there is still a lot of aftermarket companies that produce pretty much every replacement part that I needed so far.

Thanks for the tip :-)
Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #133
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aposaric View Post
Yes, I found a dude who owns a wrecked ZZR 1100 so he is going to sell me his dogbones. It is not so hard to source the parts for this bike here, they were really popular here in Europe, so there is tons of parts available, and there is still a lot of aftermarket companies that produce pretty much every replacement part that I needed so far.

Thanks for the tip :-)
How beat up was your stock fairing stay? I need (another) one.
The D model isn't exactly rare here, but not exactly common either.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #134
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
How beat up was your stock fairing stay? I need (another) one.
The D model isn't exactly rare here, but not exactly common either.
Fairing stay was beaten to the bone :-) I wanted to use it in reverse position as an engine guard bracket holder, so it is going to get put in a good use :-)

ZX6D and E were one of the most popular bikes in Europe, they were sold here from 1990. till 2007. so they are really widely available here, and when I tried to find a good replacement for a worn up Versys, zx6d and cbr900 were only two options that had a bullet proof reputation of 200.000+ kilometers of average use for a sub 2.000 euro bikes. I needed something cheap, reliable and bullet proof for my base bike :-) And I did a lot of research and most of the remote countries in Europe ( Norway, Russia, Ukraine, Turkey ) have a solid stock of the used bikes, so it is not hard to get replacement parts if I get stuck anywhere with broken bits

aposaric screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 05:09 PM
Old 10-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #135
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Other than clutches (2), a new stator, and a R/R, I haven't had to replace any hard parts in almost 190,000km (150,000km put on by me in the last five years). Even the valves only needed adjusting once.

I have gone through three fairing stays though, but I do enough highway & riding in the rain that I like the stock fairing. Even though now mine is held together by Plastex & fiberglass tape.

I have been known to do stupid things with a fully faired sporty bike, like ride 100km of rough gravel roads then down an offroad track to find the perfect camping spot.