Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Censport View Post
I miss my '94 M Edition.

But it went to a good owner, who says I can drive it on a track weekend whenever I like.
The track tire mount is awesome! I really like the older Miata's and not the current generation.

Actually, I'm looking forward to the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S.

My Mom bought a '64? MG Miget. Racing Green. I used to sit behind the seats where the top tucks into. That car was a blast when it was driving. The wiring was a mess and would stop for no reason. Then my Dad would have to rewire it on the side of the road. Fond memories.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Not meaning to highjack, this was mentioned....
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROMVADER View Post
Not meaning to highjack, this was mentioned....
You should see this to really appreciate it's size.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
1Gopokes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
miata

Wife has a 2000 we have had for about 5 years. Nice little car a little tight for 6'4" frame but fun. Not as much as my 68 TR 250 was, but better than my MGB was. Pretty easy to work on to. I put studded snows on the rear in the winter in case she takes to work and we get a "surprise " flurry. You don't want to drive it in the snow without studs. Grat mileage 30-32 MPG
1Gopokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I'm 6'4" and 180 lbs, and I love early miatas, but only once there's an aftermarket seat in them that lets me move down and back enough. I had the opportunity to drive a CSP miata at an autocross-275-section hoosiers, 200 NA horsepower, 8000 rpm, and a full track suspension and cage. Talk about a car that drives like a go kart... easy to drive, too. I hopped in and my first run was within a 2 seconds of the owner on a 72 second course.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
MikeyDo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Love our 2000SE. Borrowed one for my wife's 50th birthday, and we were both hooked. We bought one a few weeks later and have never looked back.
MikeyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoatnmmoto View Post
I drove an 06 cross country.
Most uncomfortable car I have ever driven.
I drove mine cross country several times. One time with a passenger. Trunk, package shelf, and floorboard full of luggage.

Cruise on 75 all day long, returning 30mpg.

Mine was a '91 with hardtop. Owned it seven years, sold it last fall.

It was my daily driver. I put about 90,000 on mine while I had it. Great little car, but definitely not for everyone.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
My 96 has been a great car for all the 61k that are on it. Handling and power are perfectly balanced in it. Build quality is very very good and that shifter, wonderful!

However after owning it since 99 I'm considering selling it. I don't want to drive it daily because it's too nice, I don't want to drive it into the city because someone will cut the top again to get to the cheap stereo, I don't want to drive it long distance because I have to wear earplugs and it's pretty small so I can't really get comfortable.

And the reasons keep going til I don't drive it at all anymore. It's been in storage for 3 years now. The fun factor that it provided has been taken over by my ever growing bike collection.

I keep searching craigslist for something that I would actually drive and the choices are pretty limited. All the import rear wheel drive coupes have seemingly been snatched up by the drifters (not that there were a great many cars that fit that description anyway)
What other cars would be a replacement for the Miata ?

Has to be rear wheel drive, 2 door, and no convertibles in say the $7500 range. Bmw 3 series maybe?
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,311
There's one for sale locally. How does this sound ?

"99 Miata 72k,body and engine exc. $3500 obo."

High , low or realistic ?
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #25
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
There's one for sale locally. How does this sound ?

low if in good shape.
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #26
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
My 96 has been a great car for all the 61k that are on it. Handling and power are perfectly balanced in it. Build quality is very very good and that shifter, wonderful!

However after owning it since 99 I'm considering selling it. I don't want to drive it daily because it's too nice, I don't want to drive it into the city because someone will cut the top again to get to the cheap stereo, I don't want to drive it long distance because I have to wear earplugs and it's pretty small so I can't really get comfortable.

And the reasons keep going til I don't drive it at all anymore. It's been in storage for 3 years now. The fun factor that it provided has been taken over by my ever growing bike collection.

I keep searching craigslist for something that I would actually drive and the choices are pretty limited. All the import rear wheel drive coupes have seemingly been snatched up by the drifters (not that there were a great many cars that fit that description anyway)

Has to be rear wheel drive, 2 door, and no convertibles in say the $7500 range. Bmw 3 series maybe?

It's just damn car, drive it and enjoy it. Mazda has made over 900,000 of the little suckers, and it's never gonna be a Ferrari GTO in value. 61,000 miles isn't all that low for a 6 year old car. People are still finding older ones than that with half the mileage yours has.
You just need to change your attitude.

Quote:
bk brkr bakerThere's one for sale locally. How does this sound ?

I'd call that pretty damn cheap. You should jump on it, you can't have more fun on 4 wheels anywhere else.

As for me, I have a 92 that I got about 16 months ago. I've put over 30,000 miles on it in the time, and it's seems indestructible. I actually think the car has about 250,000 on it with the original, unrebuilt drivetrain.
Sometimes it's a bit short on storage space, but I always seem to make do. I'm 5'10" I've had plenty of naps in it, you just have to find the right slouchy position.

RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
nephron
countercurrent exchanger

Oddometer: 228
what's the skinny on the hard tops? don't think I would want the power folding hard top because too many things to go wrong, but live in oregon so the liftoff hard top looks like it would be useful.
nephron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #28
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,120
Quote:

What color is it and how much do you want.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #29
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,978
Quote:

Get a hard top for it and drive it?

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #30
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephron View Post
what's the skinny on the hard tops? don't think I would want the power folding hard top because too many things to go wrong, but live in oregon so the liftoff hard top looks like it would be useful.
I had one on mine. Light enough for me to install and remove myself. Four latches.

The hardtop makes the car much more rigid and much quieter.

They're out there on the used market, if you find a car that doesn't come with one.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: