Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #46
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
I think this car is the modern MG.
You are correct. I had a '76 Triumph Spitfire and a '70 split-bumper MGB. Both were wonderful, elemental sports cars. Perfect on a winding country road. Terrible for daily drivers. Broke down frequently and leaked oil regularly. To this day, the smell of jute and burnt oil brings a tear to my eye.

I have a '92 Miata with koni shocks, summer compound plus one tires and chassis bracing. 67,000 miles. Looks like a new car, drives better than new. It outperforms both the Spitfire and the B in acceleration, handling and braking. And while doing that, it is as reliable as a Honda Accord, gets great gas mileage (between 30 and 35 usually) and has 95% of the character of the old British sports cars. It is a hoot to drive.

It is annoyingly loud with the top up, miserable for long drives without earplugs. I keep the top down 99% of the time. You can see the underside of tractor trailers on the highway in this car so if that freaks you out, don't get one. But it is one of the most fun vehicles I have ever driven, and you can have that fun without getting a ticket or arrested.

I've thought about selling it as I'd rather be on two wheels for my fun rides, but every time I look at it in the garage, I just can't bring myself to part with it.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #47
BuddingGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
'93 LE. Noisy, rough riding, but as much fun as my HondaST1100. Both knock lots of years off my 60 when riding or driving.
BuddingGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #48
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
Mazda teams up with FIAT for the next MX-5.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/23/m...next-gen-mx-5/
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #49
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,039
Hopefully Fiat will just take a back seat in the design, and let Mazda do it. Just bring the cash and added production volume please.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #50
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Hopefully Fiat will just take a back seat in the design, and let Mazda do it. Just bring the cash and added production volume please.
I hope not. I really hated the Furai "inspiration" that has taken over Mazda. Talk about bad design. At least they have dumped that idea and slowly returning to less organic designs.

Most likely, Mazda will be designing the chassis. Then Fiat and Mazda will have their own bodies. (Like how Volvo, Ford and Mazda share the Ford C1 platform.) This seems to hint that Fiat is going to be bringing back the Spider. I'd love to see a more affordable Alfa 8C-like design.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #51
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
'93 LE. Noisy, rough riding, but as much fun as my HondaST1100. Both knock lots of years off my 60 when riding or driving.
I have a '95 base with AC and nothing else. Roll-ups, non-assisted steering, no cruise, and a radio/cassette player that doesn't make a sound (and why should it, with the wind noise to compete?). I got it 2 years ago with 67,000 miles and a fairly new top, for a fair price. Then got just enough hail damage to total it without being noticeable from the cockpit, so State Farm paid me what I owed and a bit more, and let me keep it. Now, it's got a clear title, liability insurance for $13 a month, and is still an absolute hoot to drive. As close as it gets to an early 70s MGB, or a Fiat Spider. Oh, and I got a home-made trailer hitch free on craigslist (guy's wife got a new model and the hitch wouldn't work on it) so I can haul the kayaks to the lake.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #52
Mike.Gail
Intentionally Blank

Oddometer: 2,212
Engine swap went smashingly well. Need to drive it a bit more then change the oil, and finish breaking in the new clutch and flywheel.

"Injuries are the price we pay for not having sat around on our asses!" - Steve in ATL
Mike.Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #53
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Just picked up a 2006 MX-5 base model with 38,000 miles on it.

Super clean (seriously, it looks brand f'n new) and the only option seems to be auto windows.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #54
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Just picked up a 2006 MX-5 base model with 38,000 miles on it.

Super clean (seriously, it looks brand f'n new) and the only option seems to be auto windows.

Good for you. Today I realized that I've essentially had a riding hiatus for the past 19 months or so, ever since I got my Miata.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #55
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Good for you. Today I realized that I've essentially had a riding hiatus for the past 19 months or so, ever since I got my Miata.
My Miata wasn't capable of keeping me off bikes, but it was fun.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #56
Mike.Gail
Intentionally Blank

Oddometer: 2,212
Now that I've had a couple weeks with the 1.8 in and the few tweaks I've done to the car overall I'll say this: Driving to the limit with the 1.6 was an act of violence. This engine pushes it closer to a declaration of war, and I've got more i need to do.

Love this car so much.

"Injuries are the price we pay for not having sat around on our asses!" - Steve in ATL
Mike.Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #57
jburroughs12
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Miatas are a hoot to drive. My first one was a 94 with a soft top, just picked this bad boy up, a 99 touring edition with a hard top. Anyone who says the miata keeps them off two wheels is obviously doing something wrong. This is how I rode 4 hours to my race this past weekend.

jburroughs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #58
12ARX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
aussie company - http://www.bulletcars.com/cars/
Old 06-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #59
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburroughs12 View Post
Miatas are a hoot to drive. My first one was a 94 with a soft top, just picked this bad boy up, a 99 touring edition with a hard top. Anyone who says the miata keeps them off two wheels is obviously doing something wrong. This is how I rode 4 hours to my race this past weekend.

Took me a minute to figure out those were lashing straps under your trailer nose and not a small fire starting in the street!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #60
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
I just bought a RHT Mx-5 and boy do I love this car.

If you have the money and garage space, and you enjoy driving, you'd be really dumb not to have one. The weight distribution in this car is perfect. It goes around corners like nothing. The steering is more precise than a brain surgeon. The engine, though not powerful, is rev happy and pure fun. The gear box is smooth and so gratifying to cycle through. It's just the perfect driver's car. And to top it off, you can drop the roof on a sunny day (or cloudy day, who gives a shit?) and you get all the fun of being in a convertible.

It's the first car that I have ever bought without practicality in mind. And I don't regret it at all. It's my only cage, yet it's not as impractical as you might believe.

njd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: