User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,570
after 100 cc what else?

HI, sorry but this is a What scooter to buy tread.

I am somewhat new to scooters and I have had 1 for a little over 1 month and all ready see my self wanting a little more than 100 cc, so the question is what should I get?

OK to help you help me this is what I would and would not like
a) 55-60 mph cruising speed.
b) none Chinese
c) I do not need a burgan 650/400 tmax (will like it but not a demand)
d) easy on maintenance.
e) I like new, but can not afford a $10K scooter, maybe 5000 tops

I am doing the data gathering since I like to see, compare and then buy, and I do take my time with this. what do you recommend ?

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
something in the 200-300 range are you after?

honda, gilera, kymco, aprilia and suzuki all have good offerings in those sizes
Old 01-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,331
Here are some nice scooters that would meet your needs and can be found for less then $5,000 new in the US. I don't know what's available in Mexico.

Kymco Yager 200i, Grand Vista 250, People 250
Sym HD200, RV250, and maybe Citycom 300
Buddy Blur 220i (it's Chinese but I'd consider it)
Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Sport City 250
Piaggio BV250
Honda PCX 125, SH150

I'm sure I missed a few.

Of course if you buy used it opens up a lot more possibilities for under 5K

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
you said you "like new" but didn't mention that as a requirement.

for 5 grand or under, there's a boatload of rides out there in the used market and many with low miles.

good, reliable bikes include
-honda helix, big ruckus (pretty rare), reflex and silverwing
-yamaha majesty and morphous (hard to find)
-burgmans in both 400 and 650 sizes
ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
For 5 grand, you will be able to get pretty much get anything you want if you limit yourself to 300cc's and below. Really for half that in the used market you could pick up a scooter in great shape that will meet all of your requirements. Good luck in your hunt.

Klaviators list is a great start and I'd add a used Honda Helix to that list if you can stomach the looks of one.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,331
Here's some other things to consider:

What's available near you. Obviously this limits what you can get.

"Regular" vs "Maxi" scooter. They are all scooters but quite different. Generally 400cc and over are maxi scooters. They tend to be much bigger, heavier, and less agile than the smaller scooters. They usually have a feet forward riding position more like a Harley than your Honda scooter or KLR. You will lose the agility and around town practicality of you little honda while getting a much more capable long distance ride. Consider this; a burgman 400 weighs much more than your KLR while a burgman 650 weighs more than a BMW R1100GS. I'm not argueing for or against Maxi scooters, just saying you need to consider if that's what you want.

Big wheel vs small wheel. small wheel scooters have 10-13" wheels. Big wheel scooters 16" (there are also some with 14-15" wheels) Small wheel scooters feel much more agile and usually have more underseat storage. Big wheel scooters ride better on crappy roads. A big wheel scooter will feel more like your KLR and less like your Honda.

Brakes: Some scooters, especially newer Hondas come with linked brakes. Personally linked brakes would be a deal breaker for me. Just be aware of it and decide for yourself if this is an issue.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
I'm a fan of old Honda CH250's. They meet every need you listed except they are not new. Just for laughs, I looked in San Diego Craigslist, and here's your scooter.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/2816566851.html

Read some of the info at www.CH250.net and there is an active group in Yahoo groups that you can review.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
There are still many Helixes out there from the later years (2000-2007) that will have almost no miles on them (there was still a new leftover 2006 kicking around the midwest as recently as last year), THIS is what you need! But in all seriousness, I'd go for a 250cc and nothing smaller; you will quickly get tired of anything smaller if you intend to cruise at 60mph. 250cc machines will generally cruise at 70 (I've topped my Helix at 77mph). Honda has abandoned the 250cc market, but Kymco makes several machines in that size range depending on what your needs are. The Kymco GrandVista 250 is similar to a Honda Helix in riding position, and gets rave reviews. The cost new? around 5k, but you can buy a lightly used one for much less.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
I knew it'd come to this sooner or later. 100 cc is great, but for those longer rides like you done, you just need more to really enjoy it. 100 cc is perfect for a big city or around town though.

If I was you, I'd say a minimum of 250 cc for one. Yes anything smaller will be no fun on highways, or 55-60 MPH. My CH150 will do it alright, but is pretty wound out. 55 it will do steep hills as I lerned, but its still not real happy. But, some 250s even are better off than others at this speed. Trust me, you don't want to go to small, but too big can also suck.

Starting with 250 cc, most will meet your demands. A Honda Helix will Cruise at 55-60 MPH pretty solid. But there pretty long and handle not quite as agile, but more than a big bike due to small wheels. They max out at 72 MPH regularly and if conditions are right 78 MPH GPS. You CAN find them new in some dealers, well not brand new but new as in never sold, like left over 07s for around $5K if you really want new. A Elite 250 will also work fine, a little slower in top end I hear its geared a little shorter and it's less aerodynamic, but it'll be fine at 55-60 MPH I think and maxes 70-72 MPH. Its also a great scooter and can be had cheap.

Personally, I think an Aprilia Sportcity250 would be ideal. I hear they can do around 80 MPH, they accelerate very well for a 250, get very good gas milage, but are still small enough to be fun around town. Great Scoots. Or one of them there Kymco 300s are good.

Maxis are nice too though, if you like a little longer distance. A Burgman 400 is pretty good, they'll do 90+MPH. But a little big. Have lots of storage though and they's smooth.

But, if you want to combine both of them, I really suggest you take a look at the SCARABEO 500 ie, if you haven't already. 500 cc, but not quite so big. Its not a whole lot bigger than a 250 from the looks, a little heavier I'd recon, but pretty small for a 500. They doo 100+MPH, have very good power, can be set up with saddle bags to tour, look very cool IMHO, and are great. New they go for $6,399, but they can be found on Craigslist. I honestly am considering one of this at some point now. I like them, they are still a scooter. I don't want a Maxi because I already have a Cruiser, don't need 2 of 1. Or a 250 isn't that much better than my 150. IMHO this is kind of a sweet spot.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
=retread=
more MPG

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Here are some nice scooters that would meet your needs and can be found for less then $5,000 new in the US. I don't know what's available in Mexico.

Kymco Yager 200i, Grand Vista 250, People 250
Sym HD200, RV250, and maybe Citycom 300
Buddy Blur 220i (it's Chinese but I'd consider it)
Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Sport City 250
Piaggio BV250
Honda PCX 125, SH150

I'm sure I missed a few.

Of course if you buy used it opens up a lot more possibilities for under 5K
this is a good list!!! i have a 200 and it will run at 60 mph all day long effortlessly!!! and gets over 70 mpg at that speed!!!
=retread= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
rajavw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
after 100cc what else?

Damasovi,

You are lucky. The world's best scooter was sold New in D.F. Mexico until 2004. The legendary Vespa PX200 !! Make no mistake, once you own a Vespa 200cc 2Stroke, you'll never ride anything else!

The PX is an international icon.

rajavw
rajavw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
a) 55-60 mph cruising speed.
b) none Chinese
c) I do not need a burgan 650/400 tmax (will like it but not a demand)
d) easy on maintenance.
e) I like new, but can not afford a $10K scooter, maybe 5000 tops
a) 150cc or above. not all 150cc will do this as easily as others. yet some newer 125cc's will do it, as will my Kymco Agility 125. but conditions need to be perfect. flat road, no wind, right clothes, etc. so a 150 or above would be a good starting point imo. however a SYM HD 125 or Honda PCX could get the job done in 125cc form. however if 60mph cruising is a daily requirement I say pass

b) ok

C) You can get a used Burg or T-Max for around $5K. a really good low mileage one, too. in fact in the T-Max 500 thread here discussion is new "leftover" ones are going for around the mid $5K range "out the door" in some places. so if you really want a maxi scoot for around 5K take your pick. a used silverwing, burg, majesty would do you just fine

d) hard to do because a lot depends on you. avoid an mp3 i suppose lol. i have read a SYM CityCom 300 is EASY DIY so far as getting to things. so look there if available. great deals on those, too.

e) list too big to post, really. the scooter world is your oyster with 5 grand in your pocket and deals can be had. list is too big with even $3500 in your pocket, give or take. even for NEW scooters. imo having a dealer close enough is very important. so pick a good brand that can be serviced fairly locally and parts are available for. or if you DIY, parts you can readily order and receive in a timely manner. heck even "new" leftover Vespa 250 GTs are available for around $4.5K

so what kind of scooter you want is more important then money to be spent. big wheels or small? big scoot, medium, small, little, or maxi? what are your daily needs? storage? and of course where are YOUR closest dealers? service and parts availability? all this should narrow your choices between the quality brands

have a Kymco dealer nearby? you can get one of these brand new in 200cc or 300cc form for around 5 grand. you mentioned a burg or otherwise and this is sort of a big "small" scoot

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/1115/M...ide-Video.aspx

DudeClone screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 03:10 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,570
thanks guys I knew I had a very broad question, so the answer would be like that.

The budget was for a new bike, how ever I will not look away from a nice used one.

The Helix and big rockus are not for me, too bad the big rockus lost it's DNA went it went to 250. Thanks for the list, I will take a look at each model and make my matrix of likes and dislikes for each one.

Maxis are very cool, how ever the price is the problem, but then again I could go used. The bad thing is around here (South California) since we don't have a real winter (yesterday was around 80 F!) that makes no off season for lower prices.

I am still far away from making a purchase, but I am that kind of consumer that likes to see, read, sit and compare. Just for an example but I bough my KLR it took me about 3 years, my Beat also 3, so I do take time when purchasing expensive things.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
thanks guys I knew I had a very broad question, so the answer would be like that.

The budget was for a new bike, how ever I will not look away from a nice used one.

The Helix and big rockus are not for me, too bad the big rockus lost it's DNA went it went to 250. Thanks for the list, I will take a look at each model and make my matrix of likes and dislikes for each one.

Maxis are very cool, how ever the price is the problem, but then again I could go used. The bad thing is around here (South California) since we don't have a real winter (yesterday was around 80 F!) that makes no off season for lower prices.

I am still far away from making a purchase, but I am that kind of consumer that likes to see, read, sit and compare. Just for an example but I bough my KLR it took me about 3 years, my Beat also 3, so I do take time when purchasing expensive things.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Damasovi
Wow, sounds like you got some pacience! Sure wish I had that kind of pacience! Partly why I had no money though!

But, yes take your time and don't buy nothing because don't nobody told you but cause you like it, sounds like you got that down.

Maxis are very cheap used. Shit, you can find a Burgman 400 for like $2,000-$4,000.

Now this ain't near you near me but just for an example

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/2811163405.html

$3,299 for an 05 Burgman 650! Less than 12,999 miles and was just serviced at 12,000 miles at dealer, aside from tags good till October 2012!

Not bad at all! 650 does 110+ MPH, Cruises all day long at 75 MPH, great bike. However IMO a little big for you. I'd take a close look at them Aprilia Scarebeo 500. THAT is a nice Scooter. Hell I'd love one. Its not to big, not to small, not to slow, just an overall great scoot IMHO.