Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #241
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
Hi, Just got back from a long weekend from the OTL BMW rally and Day in the Dirt at the local mx track.

For a new rear wheel using a 2.5 x 18 black excel superlaced w/ stainless spokes/nipples with a stock hub would be 990 + shipping, if you want to powdercoat the hub to match close with the front it would only be an extra 75 for powdercoating it.

Zach
sat in the shed for a long time tonight. thinkin,,,,,,,, blue hub or black hub????? and i think black, standard hub is the go(blue might look funny with the black shaft drive and all) . so Zach . if you can get under way the above mentioned wheel,
( 2.5 x 18 black excel superlaced w/ stainless spokes/nipples with a stock hub) and get me a full quote including freight , i will get payment sorted and happiness shale pre-vale through out the land once more........ btw ...thanks to you and your elves , for the help while woody's off soaking up the Mediterranean.. shhh don't tell him i said that .............................cams
Old 06-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #242
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh 18' rear

hello zach and co.
Its your friendly adv stalker again...... hows the progress with the 18' rear wheel going????? I Havent herd from you for a while......
ps wasp's rocket made into the local ( as in aussie made) mag with a little word about the 21' /18' wheel set up . See ...... you "guys" are almost famous.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #243
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,307
here's a pic of the rear together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cams View Post
hello zach and co.
Its your friendly adv stalker again...... hows the progress with the 18' rear wheel going????? I Havent herd from you for a while......
ps wasp's rocket made into the local ( as in aussie made) mag with a little word about the 21' /18' wheel set up . See ...... you "guys" are almost famous.
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #244
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 753
Good looking rear wheel. Love the spokes.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #245
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Yeah, those spokes look massive!

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #246
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

: raabia:r aabia:ra abia
Quote:
Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #247
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

So did ya ever get your wheel n goodies????

Quote:
: raabia:r aabia:ra abia
Cams my good mate,,
Just arrived in Saigon,,,and was able to use my new I-pad for the first time,,,,trying to check in with my troopies,,,when i see you are still ooohing and ahiing from as great a distance as me,,,

Talk to me,,
Wazzup,,as for me,,i 'm gonna slam down an ice cold,,ie. As in poured over ice cubes ba muoi ba '33' beer...some krauts made the stuff along time ago,,,IMHO tastes waaay better than Tiger or Tsing Tao...the Viets are Heinekin and VSOP brandy fanatics

Woody
Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #248
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Cams my good mate,,
Just arrived in Saigon,,,and was able to use my new I-pad for the first time,,,,trying to check in with my troopies,,,when i see you are still ooohing and ahiing from as great a distance as me,,,

Talk to me,,
Wazzup,,as for me,,i 'm gonna slam down an ice cold,,ie. As in poured over ice cubes ba muoi ba '33' beer...some krauts made the stuff along time ago,,,IMHO tastes waaay better than Tiger or Tsing Tao...the Viets are Heinekin and VSOP brandy fanatics

Woody

Haha, sound like your havein to much fun.... as for here... havin a bit of a cold snap ...-7.c here this cold morning.looking forward to a bit of r&r with some dirt bike riding down on the east coast this weekend bit warmer down there. the wheel that your troop's have put together for me looks beautiful. cant wait to get it on. Ive only just got payment sorted. (cold and wet weather here has stuff my internet ) anyway Zach should get that money soon & I will have my new wheel and the planets will re a line.

P.S. wap's s10 with your wheel got a short column in "Trailzone" magazine, our premium dirt/ adventure bike read. pretty cool huh ?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:01 AM   #249
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

happy happy..

just got my shipping info ...... just postage time now......... guess i will find a way to fill in the time
Old 07-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #250
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

got somthing in the mail today ..........
Old 07-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #251
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
got somthing in the mail today ..........
So - How'd you go Cams?????????? Get them fitted up yet?

I think you really are going to love it mate.

I made the mistake initially of putting some chewing gum soft full knobby tires on when I first got my 18" rear and it felt like shit... Could hardly touch the throttle in any gear on road or it would spin madly. That was nearly six weeks ago but since then I have installed 90/90-21 and 140/70(?)-18 Heidenau's and it feels bloody awsome.

It now rides in the dirt like a dirt bike should ride (albiet a farkn heavy one) and on road is just glorious.
The rear tire is very large diameter on the 2.5" wide rim and is only millimeters from the swing-arm centre now, but the speedo is just about spot on and is only shows 2kph discrepancy from actual GPS speed.
In hindsight though if I was to change anything (and possibly still will) I think the 3.5" wide rear would be a better choice for the size and bulk of this bike. It would make the tires sit just a little wider and smaller rolling diameter , and probably allow a better selection of tires.

I would definitely stick with the silver color on this bike though.... I love to look compared to the OEM black wheels.
On that subject - I did plan on fitting a new set of OEM tires to the standard 17/19" wheels and swapping out each time i go for a long ride but I honestly dont think I would bother. I really do prefer the way this feels now compared to how it was as standard.

I was out from about lunch time today and only managed about 15kms of gravel/jeep trail before hitting the road for a 150km ride with a few visits to mates places along the way.

I now have the dual discs back up and functional and I must say I prefer the feel of the less lever effort stopping power at the expense of a couple extra kgs weight.
I have also replaced my rear raising links with the standard units until I can get some half height ones laser cut.
I found the bike felt a little too high with the raising links, even with the seat in the low position (which I now prefer), so I can raise the bike half way and get the benefit back of the quicker steering + more ground clearance again + have my seat back in the more comfortable low position.

I didnt stop long enough to get the camera out until well after dark so I snapped a few shitty (very high ISO) pics under a street light. Unfortunately I was stuck without a flash or any fast lenses.

I also found time to do the clutch switch bypass trick to restore full power in the first three gears - In one word "WOW" what a difference!!! This thing pulls like a frig'n freight train off the line now... I nearly had an epileptic seizure watching the TCS light go crazy on the dash. The bike was in TCS1 and the back was spinning and hopping like mad trying to keep up with the TCS. I can imagine with street or even OEM tires fitted it would go like stink.
If you havent done this mod yet, do yourself a favor and try it.

I did a bit of a report and added a few pics of the brake line project over at: http://www.waspworks.com/gallery/sup...0220712_02.jpg and that has worked out really well in combination with the high front guard system allowing full steering articulation and suspension travel.

Will keep all posted with further pics and stories as I get to head bush from now on.

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #252
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

So - How'd you go Cams?????????? Get them fitted up yet?

I think you really are going to love it mate.

I made the mistake initially of putting some chewing gum soft full knobby tires on when I first got my 18" rear and it felt like shit... Could hardly touch the throttle in any gear on road or it would spin madly. That was nearly six weeks ago but since then I have installed 90/90-21 and 140/70(?)-18 Heidenau's and it feels bloody awsome.

Gdday Greg,
Good to see your s10 back for us all to enjoy. In answer to your question, I haven't got the new 18' rear on yet ( waiting on a dunlop rally raid d908 140/80/18 ) to turn up. While we are on the subject of rear tyres, you wouldn't know the overall diameter of the rear heidenau you've got on by any chance??? the dunlop is 27.24 inches. youve got me thinking about swing-arm clearance.

Ive had the 21' front on for while now, ( with a 606 dunlop knobby) and it absolutely transforms the bike when off road. the handling in mud, sand, hard pack dirt , gravel is all fabulous. I was interested to hear the you got good handling on tar with the heidenau's. The terrain that I am in is extreme for dirt bikes and glorious for road bikes. So my plan to swap the wheels is as good as i can do, and was always the plan. sticky 19'/ 17' road rubber to hunt sports bikes. ( and dont they hate it) and full 21'/18' knobbies to play in the 20,000 hectare's of pine forest/wilderness mountains my farm backs onto.

I love the high guard mount that you made, and the brake set up looks horn as well. Please let me know if you are going into production with them as I would deferentially buy a set . Your fork protectors are cool too.

keep up the good work Greg, youve inspired me as least to go out play with my pride and joy. cheers cams

cams screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 03:58 PM
cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #253
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

hello!!!! wasps?......woody?........anyone?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #254
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
hello?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #255
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Saigon checking in,,over,,,

Quote:

Yes??????

woody,,,at your beck n call...