Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,299
option 'B' 21 conversion using oem hub...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obe01 View Post
From an email sent to woody last night...thanks for posting here

Hey Woody,g'day mate!!

Well those wheels ya sent me for me CRF 450 are bloody great mate. Bloody brilliant...And the misses loves the shirt.

Now for my next problem mate. I saw ya thread on Wasps, (gregs) site for wheels for them new SuperTens.

I have meself a 2010 SuperTenere and am wanting to change that front wheel of mine to a 21inch to improve off road ability, (In black) the only problem is that I want it to look as original as possible, can this be done????no problem with satin black,,there are no double flanged rims out there that look like the oem units,,matching the rear down the road with similar set-up would do ya right ,,i'd opt for a 3.5x17 for the off-road work though
If I cannot get the front looking like the original I might have to replace both rims...10-4

I read ya options on gregs site and option B is for me but I am keen to keep the OEM braking systems for ABS etc.that's the beauty of opton 'b',,you get to keep all your oem brakes/abs /TC

What other bits and pieces do I require to make this happen, adapter kits etc... Obviously the front fender needs raising but is there anything else that I am missing...i believe we'll need to run individual brake lines from the junction above the fender,,,i'm working on a dual ss brake line kit as i write,,,

Look forward to your reply, I have been a bit slack and will do a bit more research on her with regards to this changeover over the next few days.

Thanks woody, keep up the good work mate,

Johnnie
will keep ya posted,,,we may have a sample wheel built before ya know it

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Thumb You champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
will keep ya posted,,,we may have a sample wheel built before ya know it

woody

You are a bloody top bloke Woody. Thanks for getting on top of this for us.

Look forward to seeing the product. I reckon I will just go with the complete set, both front and back excel rims in black. Could I go with a 4x17 rear like whats on me big Kato at the moment. I like the way those 908's fit on those 4 inch rims, They look so tough, should clear the swing arm..

Will be watching in interest mate,

Johnnie
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,921
Hi Woody,

I will be in Dever in August. If i give you enough warning can you install new rims and heavier spokes on my Tenere ans still keep the ABS, Traction Control and tubeless tires?

Will the BMW GS rims work in the design?
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #19
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
hi jaumev,,,

i'd like to give you a definitive answer on the 21'' conversion,,,what i can tell you is that on all the bmws..ktms etc that we have swapped wheels we have had no issues...nor have i heard of any,,,now this bike with TC,,,???

i'll do some checking,,,i realize that so many of you who PM'd and e-mailed me,,,didn't concern themselves with the TC because they always turn it off,,like most riders with ABS turn that system off when off-roading,,,,

will check,,and the rest of you wizards out there please chime in to,,,,
woody
Ok, I'm going to follow this threat with attention
Thanks
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #20
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,107
I'm subscribed also. Put me in the camp to keep the UBS ABS and TC, works great off road.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #21
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,921
I agree, I don't want to turn those features off, nor lose the tubeless feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I'm subscribed also. Put me in the camp to keep the UBS ABS and TC, works great off road.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #22
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,334
Le Subscribe
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

4.25 wide rear or 3.5 wide ????,,,pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by obe01

You are a bloody top bloke Woody. Thanks for getting on top of this for us.

i would have sooner,,we just got ours in the usa just afew months ago:cry:cry

[COLOR=Yellow
Don't ever forget...it takes one to know one[/COLOR]

Look forward to seeing the product. I reckon I will just go with the complete set, both front and back excel rims in black. Could I go with a 4x17 rear like whats on me big Kato at the moment. I like the way those 908's fit on those 4 inch rims, They look so tough, should clear the swing arm..
so Johnnie,,,of course i can use a black Excel to replicate the oem 4.25x17 rim size using 150/70x17 rubber....we recommend this for guys spending a lot of time on the slab...

the slightly narrower 3.5x17 can still run the oem rubber size,,,hardly anyone can notice the difference on the pavement,,,what it does do is change the profile a bit more rounded which let's the knobbies dig in better going thru the corners in the dirt ,,,hence dirt riders have begun to favor this rim size not to mention the narrower rim is less prone to getting dented because there's more rubber between rim and object... as well as less MA/cantilevering so to speak going on..,ie just basic Physics 101

Will be watching in interest mate,

Johnnie
will keep you all posted
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 07:54 AM
Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #24
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,334
anyone else think, if I'm changing both rims and tires it's all about the 3.5...I'll deal with the slab fine...
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #25
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I would be interested in option B with 21'' rim in the long run. But only if the ABS and TC would still work as stock
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
I would be interested in option B with 21'' rim in the long run. But only if the ABS and TC would still work as stock
FYI #1: we are working on that as i speak,,just ordered front n rear hub assemblies..well,that's not true,they only sell all the individual components as of today,,i'd have orderered complete wheels BUT,,you guessed it non are available....that's ok ,,,within the next week or so ,i'll hav emore solid information to make even better decisions for you all and me...

FYI #2 wa swith my machinist and ordered 25 sets of disc brake adapters,,left/right and center spacers to conver t my trick SuperliteII hubs for use on the ST..these will not have ABS/TC capabilities but i bet will weigh in 5lbs less than the stockers..

trust me,,we'll figure out even niftier solutions with your input..

woody
Old 02-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #27
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
18 instead of 17 Rear....

Sounds like ya working overtime there Woody..

Hey mate, I have been having a bit of a think and how difficult would it be to go with an 18inch rear for myself. Other interested inmates might want this option as well.
Better selection of rubber for us here in Aus for 18inch rims matey.

OK, I will let ya get back to work now..

Johnnie
Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #28
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by obe01 View Post
Sounds like ya working overtime there Woody..

Hey mate, I have been having a bit of a think and how difficult would it be to go with an 18inch rear for myself. Other interested inmates might want this option as well.
Better selection of rubber for us here in Aus for 18inch rims matey.

OK, I will let ya get back to work now..

Johnnie
Agreed..

The best solution (IMHO) is 21" and 18" with the big lace kits on the factory hubs...
That would make me very happy in my underpants

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #29
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

21''/18'' on the ST is a ''no-brainer'',,can do,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Agreed..

The best solution (IMHO) is 21" and 18" with the big lace kits on the factory hubs...
That would make me very happy in my underpants

Greg.
thanks for the feedback mates!!

FYI #1,,lacing up an 18 is simple for me,,,,as long as you do your math and tell me the 14/80 or 90 x18 tires will clear everything,,,,i'm sure they 'll raise th ass end up circa an inch,,the 21'' front will definitely raise the front an inch too,,,then you'll essentially be back at oem steering geometry,,,,the other question has to do with rim width..2.5 is more dirt oriented and a 3.5 would be better for carrying heavier loads //not going as fast off-road and a little better on the slab...have it your way....OBTW if ya don't air down and use rim-locks ,,we could seal for tubeless $99 or show ya the post if ya want to tackle that yourself.

FYI #2,,,juust doing the 21'' front will increase trail and make the bike a bit more stable at speed ,,,many dual sport riders like that,,,just tossing in a few tidbits to mull over

FYI #3,,,just orderered 25 sets of adapter plates,left/right and center spacers for my Superlite II hubs...now these disc adapters are so that you can keep your oem disc rotors....the other alternative is that i make a spacer plate for use with my Superlite I hub,,this hub was designed to create the lightest possible front wheel /disc/hub assembly for the HP-2s.
this was accomplished partly by using Galfer wavy/floating rotors for an even greater saving in un-sprung weight...will do a little weighing when i get a bike in the shop....

FYI #4,,,i get it that most of you favor keeping your TC/ABS capabilities,,,

once i get the final $$$ numbers for creating a complete oem hub/abs/TC unit for you to just bolt on your bike ,,i'll weigh making a custom hub that'll integrate the ABS/TC ring in the exact location as the oem unit,,,it's all in motion though,,,,that's for the front hub,,,my gut tells me that the rear wheel/hub may be a bit more expensive,,hence may stick with the oem hub for the time being..

so Greg,,,what color rims,hub,brake adapter do ya want for Superlite -ST wheel set #001

holler,,we're getting ready to drop the hammer,,the 6061-T6 plate has been ordered yesterday....
will keep you all posted and see if i can post a pic or two to whet your whistles.

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 05:01 AM
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #30
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
With a 21'' wheel one can simply put one of the readly available 25mm or 30mm raising links and keep a close to stock geometry. That's why I think a reasonably priced 21'' wheel could be great for a number of riders who don't want to break the bank
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote